Hydraulic and Peumatic Braking System

please describe me the difference between hydrulic and pneumatic brakes apart from water and air functioning definition. What are the major automotive applications of both. what are advantages and disadvantages of respective braking systems.

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    Pneumatic braking system is used in heavy vehicles like trucks and lorries. Since braking force required in such vehicles are greater, then pneumatic systems work perfectly. they use a brake valve called the dual brake valve. this valve works in such a way, that normally only the driving wheels are retarded. in case of sudden braking, all four wheels are retarded at the same time.

Hydraulic braking systems are used in smaller vehicles like cars and LCVs. Hydraulic braking systems use a master cylinder, which is operated by the brake pedal. the brake pedal works on the principle of second-order lever, and multiplies the muscular force inputed by the driver . this force causes the fluid from the master cylinder to flow into the slave cylinder present within the wheel. the slave cylinder is just another hydraulic actuator with brake calipers on its piston rod. as soon as it is actuated , the pistn rod extends, and the causes contact between the wheel's inner surface and the calipers, which retards the wheel motion

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HI, I am Reshma Ramakrishnan from Kerala.compleated my B-Tech in ECE from University of calicut.Currently am working in the technical department of Indus Towers Bangalore.I am not an intelligent girl...
Facebook stock fell again down to $23.81, a drop of 11.3 percent, bringing the social app to a new all-time low, and ripping about $3 billion from Mark Zuckerberg’s pocketbook...
Hi, what can one do if the voltage coming from yellow phase at times drops to 180v while the red and blue are 220.I need help since this make my...
hi i m a student of m.tech (wireless communications) i wanted some ideas about advanced wireless technologies. thank you