dear all member :
i decided to provide free lessons of HVAC in hospitals

With my Best wishes;
Eng.Mohamed fawzy [​IMG]

Replies

• Eng.Nescafee
    Eng.Nescafee
    Lesson#1(Hospitals) - Definitions-1:

In this lesson we will talk about a definitions of the important terms in the HVAC of hospitals

1-Age of air:

It is the time that elapsed after the air enters a space (at any given point).

The freshness of the air and its dilution is determined by its age.

2-Air change rate(ACH ) :

It is the air flow in volume units per hour devided by the building space volume
    in identical volume units.

3-Air cleaning system:

It is a device or combination of devices used to reduce the concentration of
    airborne contaminants such as microorganisms,dusts,fumes,repairable particles.

An example of air-cleaning devices is filters in air-handling units or ducts.

4-Air-conditioning system:

It is assembly of equipments for air treatment to control simultaneously its
    temperature, humidity,cleanliness and distribution to meet the requirements
    of a conditioned space.

5-Air volume migration:

It is the volume of air that exchanged during room entry/exit (trough a door way
    between a room and the area beyond its door).

6-Exhaust air:

It is the air removed from a space and discharged outside the building by mechanical
    or natural ventilation systems.

7-outdoor air:

It is the ambient air enters the system through mechanical ventilation or natural
    ventilation or infiltration.

outdoor air is not previously circulated through the system.

8-Recirculated air:

It is the air removed from a space and reused as supply air.

9-Supply air:

It is the air delivered to space that composed of any combination of outdoor air,
    recirculated air or transfer air.

11-Transfer air:

It is air removed from one indoor space to another indoor space.

12-Airborne droplet nuclei:

It is small-particle residue (5micro meter or smaller) of evaporated droplets
    (up to 150 micrometer) containing microorganisms that remain suspended in
    air and can be dispersed widely by air currents within a room or over a long
    distance.

13-Air borne infection isolation room:

It is a room designed with negative pressurization to protect patients and
    people outside the room from the spread of microorganisms (transmitted
    by airborne droplet nuclei) that infect them.

common airborne infectious agent include measles,tuberculosis and
    chicken pox.

14-Anteroom:

It is a room separating an isolation room from the corridor.

15-Birthing room:

It is a specialized version of a single patient room,used for normal
    ,uncomplicated births.

birth1.gif (image)
    These area called LDR (Labor,Delivery,Recovery),If the patient stays
    in the same room until discharge,the space is identified as and LDRP
    (Labor,Delivery,Recovery,Postpartum) .

16-Cystoscopy room:

It is an examination of the bladder by an instrument(Cystoscope) inserted
    via the urethra.

Cysto1_sm.gif (image)
    17-Delivery room:

It is operation room that used for complicated births.

images.jpeg (image)
    18-Diagnosis:

It is an activities,including history taking,physical examination and laboratory
    evaluation that determine the nature of patients ilness and its origin.

19-Dialysis room:

It is an external method of adjusting the levels of ions and chemicals in the blood
    by diverted the patient blood to the dialysis equipment osmotically filtered and
    then returned to the patient.

Dialysis-1.JPG (image)
    20-CT scan room(computed tomographic scan):

It is a room which contain tomographic equipment which use X-Ray to focus
    of an item in the body and provide a single plane of this item.

ct-scan.jpg (image)
    21-Endoscopy room:

The visualization of body cavities and structures through an inserted optical
    instrument.

file.asp.jpeg (image)
    [FONT="]** Now this lesson is finished write your questions about this lesson in the comments below in the next lesson we will complete talking about the definitions [/FONT][FONT="]see you soon.[/FONT]
  • gohm
    gohm
    What do you see as the main challenges with adapting new technology to the hospital environment in HVAC? What new technologies do you think are well suited for this environment?
  • Eng.Nescafee
    Eng.Nescafee
    The main challenges with adapting new technology to the hospital environment in HVAC is a long topic to answer it in one reply but i will give you one problem as an example i had met in the hospital design and had solved it such as:

Problem:
    High Air change requirements at some areas like (operating rooms) which require control in supply temperature and we don,t want solve this problem with reheat coil because it will consume high rate of electric energy

Solve:
    1-using of run around coil as pre cool coil which use the exhausted return as pre cool to the mixed supply air.(for easy reference ashrae equipment and systems handbook 2008-air to air recovery chapter).

2-using plate to plate air recovery which will do the same fuction of run around coil(same refrence and same chapter).

i hope that this answer help u and i promise i will explain it in details in later lessons if you have any questions u can ask me and i will answer you

best regards;
    Eng:Mohamed Fawzy
  • Eng.Nescafee
    Eng.Nescafee
    In the previous lesson hvac-worldwe had talked about a definitions of the important terms in the H.V.A.C. of hospitals.

In this lesson we continue the definitions of the important terms in the HVAC of hospitals.

22-Epidemiology:

It is the study of the distribution and determination of the disease.

23-Equipment,medical:

it is an equipment specific to medical procedure or activity such as the equipments which used in diagnostic radiology,clinical laboratory,pharmacy...etc.

24-(emergency) Exam room:

It is a space used for emergency treatment of broken bones,lacerations,concussions...etc.

6.2.jpg (image)
    25-Ex-filtration:

It is an air leakage outward through cracks,ceiling,floors and walls of a space in a building.

26-Freestanding emergency clinic:

It is an emergency facility that is separated from a hospital which includes previsions for temporary observation of the patient until release or transfer.

This type of unit requires special transportation planning to accommodate the transfer of the patients.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    28-Hematology:

It is the study of the blood and the blood forming tissues.

29-H.E.P.A. filter:

It is a high efficiency particulate air filter with efficiency of 99.97% or higher
    of particulate larger than 0.3 microns.

HEPA.jpg (image)30-Immunocompromised host:

An individual whose immune system has been weakened by diseases such as (AIDS) or medical treatment such as (chemotherapy).

31-Immunocompromised infectious host:

A patient who is both and immunocompromised host and a potential transmitter of infection.

32-Infiltration:

It is an air leakage inward through cracks ,ceiling,floors and walls of a space in the building.

33-Intensive care rooms:

It is a rooms which the level of patient care and electronic monitoring of patients are greatly increased over conventional patient rooms.

2782494640050301256rlFCtw_fs.jpg (image)
    34-Invasive procedure:

It is the insertion of an instrument or device into the body trough the skin or skin or body orifice for diagnosis or treatment such as endoscopy,cystoscopy.

35-Local exhaust:

Local exhausts operate on the principle of capturing an air borne contaminant or heat at or near the source.

36-MRI(Magnetic Resonance Imaging) :

it is an body imaging by measuring changes in energy resonance in a large magnetic field.

2782494640050301256rlFCtw_fs.jpg (image)
    37-Minor surgery:

It is an operation in which a body cavity is not entered or in which a permanent device is not inserted by incision.

[FONT="]** Now this lesson is finished write your questions about this lesson in the comments below in the next lesson we will complete talking about the definitions [/FONT][FONT="]see you soon.[/FONT]

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Friends I have a workstation with windows XP installed in it. In which i have installed the VMware workstation software. In VM ware workstation i have installed WindowsXP. Now...
I want to purchase Acer 4730z.I need info about pricing and configuration?
CEans, A big number of engineering students from India appear for the Common Admission Test conducted by Indian Institutes of Management every year. The exam is usually conducted in November....
Dear All Please, I need to simulate the Coriolis Effect on a rigid body loaded by a mechanical force in the x-direction and rotated about the z-axis. My simulation using...
Hey palssssssss........😀😉 !! Can anyone of u tell me how to right a pgm to get result lyk our Windows startmenu - explore button does. ??