Human Verification Techniques - Your Ideas?

Traditionally, CAPTCHAs and reCAPTCHAs are used to identify humans. The technique is largely used in preventing computer scripts from flooding or entering applications meant for users. For example on CrazyEngineers we used reCAPTCHA for registration form to prevent computer scripts from creating fake accounts and then spamming on the forums.

However according to latest news reCAPTCHA have been broken as well. That calls for newer techniques to be developed to distinguish between humans and computer programs.

Facebook has taken a social approach to verifying humans. They'll present a list of your facebook friends and give you options of names. If you choose the correct name, you'll be allowed to pass through.

What new ideas do you have for human verification on the Internet?

Replies

• Leo
    Leo
    Hi Biggie so far as I think this news is just a bluff. The code that is creating hype of by passing CAPTCHA is better known as CAPTCHA Killer, I have already tried it and it fails to create correct detection.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Leo
    Hi Biggie so far as I think this news is just a bluff. The code that is creating hype of by passing CAPTCHA is better known as CAPTCHA Killer, I have already tried it and it fails to create correct detection.
    Nope, I can confirm the news. We suddenly saw increased bot registrations on CE few weeks ago. We used reCAPTCHA to prevent spammers. Since then we've moved to question-answer type human verifications and that's helping us a lot.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I think there is one way though which we can prevent spammers i.e by dividing registration process in two steps
  • H.Ali
    H.Ali
    The_Big_K
    Nope, I can confirm the news. We suddenly saw increased bot registrations on CE few weeks ago. We used reCAPTCHA to prevent spammers. Since then we've moved to question-answer type human verifications and that's helping us a lot.
    today i undergo the question answer type human engineer verification in CE ,inorder to recover my lost password.both time the question was same ( 2-8=?)
    i think this will newer help us in preventing computer scripts from flooding or entering applications meant for users
  • ClearBoth
    ClearBoth
    seems pretty old thread but I register to discuss about CAPTCHAs. So I don't have to start new topic, right? 😀

I think after this long reCAPTCHA prove it's hard to be broken but I'm searching for new techniques to go on with. Xenforo is a very good commuinty system that provide various options for HV; same goes for vbulletin. I saw somewhere a different type of CAPTCHAs used photos! for example when you first want to register in the system you got a random image (animals, fruits, cars ..etc) then a 3-4 radio buttons to choose from. I thought that was a pretty good idea for me but I don't know if I implement it on my system I will have any disadvantage or it can be broken. Specially it's limited and if someone targeted your site you will be sinking in with spams.

In the mean time I'm thinking about sending verification emails before registering the user. In this case, no one can register without a proper link from his unique email, even Xenforo I think they didn't implemented this yet! maybe because it will reduce potential user registration. but still need the CAPTCHAs to stop spams from increasing the server load by sending emails from my system to unknown/Wrong email addresses.

What you think guys?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    reCAPTCHA has been broken already and the latest thing seems to be 'Video CAPTCHA', where a video clip will be played and user will have to guess the text displayed in the video. That's going to be quite difficult to break. I feel question/answer verification is awesome.

Sending email to confirm account used to work fine; but it no longer works because most of the spammers are real humans paid to spam.
  • ClearBoth
    ClearBoth
    maybe or maybe not but reCAPTCHA still work great most of the time. In some cases people depressed to the level of doing something like #-Link-Snipped-# 😀

question/answer is a good way but it's limited. I mean if someone is targeting you, he will start with finding all your questions to build his spam software, even with random questions this can be handled with a search methodology.

Sending email to confirm account used to work fine; but it no longer works because most of the spammers are real humans paid to spam.
    if this is the case we can deal with those users if we become online more.

I think I'm going to find out what photos CAPTCHA can do.
    Thank you.
  • yanivx
    yanivx
    The_Big_K
    reCAPTCHA has been broken already and the latest thing seems to be 'Video CAPTCHA', where a video clip will be played and user will have to guess the text displayed in the video. That's going to be quite difficult to break. I feel question/answer verification is awesome.

I wanted to know if the text displayed in the video clip is steady or it moves if it is steady it is of no use and if it is mobile still it can be of not much use we are working on National Instruments Vision module in LABview which can identify even moving characters and numbers and will give o/p in txt format.
    Now since i am from a non IT background BIG B just let me know how can i insert the characters i recieve in txt format in the form.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Have you seen the Web Design Beach's awesome AJAX Captcha? This is the best one I can ever say, coz it works across all the browsers and it is super awesome! 😀
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Taking the discussion forward, here's an innovative company that's really offering a promising solution; which is going to make it very difficult to break the CAPTCHAs. Aptly named 'Are You A Human', the company offers fun games to identify humans from computer generated scripts. The company offers simple games like 'put the bottles in the bag' or 'catch the butterflies' which only humans can play (for the foreseeable future, at least). You can give the games a try on their official website.

Check: #-Link-Snipped-#

Are-You-A-Human

What do you think, guys? Clever, huh?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Captcha games, Looks good...👍
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Do you think this can be broken? I don't see any way!
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Just want to know How the CAPTHAs or RECAPTHAs can be broken? How the bot identifies the text?

Sorry If I ask something wrong or silly? But It is my all time doubt.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Sada
    Just want to know How the CAPTHAs or RECAPTHAs can be broken? How the bot identifies the text?

Sorry If I ask something wrong or silly? But It is my all time doubt.
    I think image to text conversion utilities.

The_Big_K
    Do you think this can be broken? I don't see any way!
    Can't be broken until the captcha code is broken,
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    ianoop
    I think image to text conversion utilities.
    I want to know in clear, Can anyone?
    Just for knowledge.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The techniques to extract textual patterns isn't new; many OCR software can do that. reCAPTCHAS were replace the regular CAPTCHAs to make it more difficult for the computer scripts to identify the texts and patterns. But reCAPCHA has been broken as well.

I hope the new 'game CAPTCHAs' would take us to spam free future. It'd however be interesting to know how computer scripts can break text pattern with live example. Can someone from CS/IT engineering background share a script that can decode the characters from a simple image file?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    So some software does all the ache. Yes Lets have an live example.
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# - Can anyone?

PS : #-Link-Snipped-# - Tagging is rocking, It is helping a lot to bring the attention.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Sada
    So some software does all the ache. Yes Lets have an live example.
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# - Can anyone?

PS : #-Link-Snipped-# - Tagging is rocking, It is helping a lot to bring the attention.
    One thing to say is the Web Design Beach's CAPTCHA... You can check it out at: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Bangkok University is now developing robotic waiters that can take your order and deliver it to your table as part of the “MK Robot Project”. MK Restaurants are about...
Sony calls the next generation Play Station Portable the ‘NGP’ aka the Next Generation Portable.* The next generation handheld gaming console revolves around the following 5 aspects – A great...
We all know that QUARK 2011 is a popular event by BITS Goa Campus held every year by them. I just figured out on CE-Events Section that a Private Engineering...
In many power stations which are using coal as fuel, boiler tube leakages are common factor for forced outage of the Unit. In states already reeling under power shortages/load shedding...
Annual Quiz is one of the annual events from the diverse array of activities of ACM Bangalore.The ACM Bangalore Quiz is an attempt to bring together IT professionals and some...