HTML 5 Vs. Desktop Software Like Skype

With the advancements in HTML 5 and CSS 3, the web pages are getting the audio & video calling facilities. With the wider adoption of newer coding techniques; I think the desktop software like Skype will find it very difficult to compete in the market. Do you think HTML 5 will eventually kill Skype?

How do you see Flash will play role in the whole scene?

Replies

• manishks
    manishks
    yes sir..i think skype like applications will loose their value...not only this i have heard html5 does not uses flash..so adobe has stopped devloping flash players for android phones as html5 will play its part in developing android applications too!!
  • Reya
    Reya
    No doubt,HTML5 and CSS3 is the future of the web because of its flexibility,faster loading,creating universal applications for all phones,sail web applications when you are offline,No use of plugins and third party software😉
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Looks like the Internet is evolving to become all browsers and no desktop software. Now putting all the recent developments in context, developing a chrome OS looks like a smart move that Google made few years ago. I however wonder how long will it take for us to have a full fledged version of Microsoft Word, Excel & Powerpoint on the web.

I too think, Skype did a great job by selling themselves to Microsoft. MS engineers can now think of porting the technology they've developed to HTML5 and latest technologies.
  • manishks
    manishks
    well google have planned a cloud based browser.an online browser!!.no need to install it..no need to update it...simply log in and have an all new browsing experience 😀..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    musicfreakmandy
    well google have planned a cloud based browser.an online browser!!.no need to install it..no need to update it...simply log in and have an all new browsing experience 😀..
    Not sure. You'd need a browser (or browser as OS) to access the cloud based browser, right?
  • manishks
    manishks
    yes..mr sunder pichai told about this in an interview to toi! He also discussed about chromebooks using chrome os...😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    musicfreakmandy
    yes..mr sunder pichai told about this in an interview to toi! He also discussed about chromebooks using chrome os...😀
    That's actually more interesting. The cloud computing is being adopted rapidly in all the sectors and we're heading to an era where the browsers will replace OS. However, it will still be an 'operating' system because we need a middleware to interpret the communication between top level instructions or code with the hardware. However, I just hope the size of this middleware becomes thinner and thinner so that we achieve maximum portability.

HTML 5 looks promising. Has anyone seen the video audio demonstrations?
  • manishks
    manishks
    i have used explorer9 developed using html5...video streaming is normal..quality is gud....may i ask you a question..html 5 also do not uses applets..so problem of java installer solved😀...sir i wanted to ask what do you exactly mean by middleware??????
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    musicfreakmandy
    i have used explorer9 developed using html5...video streaming is normal..quality is gud....may i ask you a question..html 5 also do not uses applets..so problem of java installer solved😀...sir i wanted to ask what do you exactly mean by middleware??????
    Middleware is something that is between the original program and the user. For eg, the middleware is the Website (User Interface) between you and the bank, when you wanna make an online transaction. More info: Middleware

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

BigMenu is a new startup from Gurgaon that helps you order food online anywhere in Gurgaon. It can also let you book a tablet at any restaurant of your choice...
Christmas is upcoming, the festival atmosphere is everywhere. But I don't feel happy since I don't like any festivals. How about you? Do you have any plan to spend your...
Institute of Technical Education and Research, Bhubaneshwar presents Chakravyuh 2011 as its technical fest. Events: Robotics Presentations Gamer Zone Design and Build Code and Simulation Circuitzzz Reverberation Quizzvana Science Exhibition...
Hi friends, i am finding a topic for my theases work at M Tech level. so if u have any topic please suggest me.
check this link for the list of candidates who have been called : https://cc.iift.ac.in/docs/iift/2012_14_R_14122011.pdf congrats to those who have cleared it! 👍 😁