How & Where Can You Get A .भारत Domain & How Does It Work ?

You all might be aware the government of India launched the .भारत domain name yesterday. The idea is people can build websites with domain names in Devanagari script covering eight languages including Hindi, Konkani and Marathi. The National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) announced its first website #-Link-Snipped-#which interestingly redirects me to the #-Link-Snipped-# website which is the official .in registry domain.

There are a couple of questions that I have regarding this project,

How does the Devanagari script work as a domain name?

Who has the responsibility of domain registration? / Where can I register a .भारत domain?

Do we really need domain names in local languages? What was wrong with .in and .bharat domains?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Hi Satya,

Thanks for asking these important questions.

For starters, having an .भारत will lead to credibility to your site and assist you in establishing a presence in the marketplace. Though it might be a shocking fact for all the educated engineers here, a very small proportion of the Indian population is English literate.

IDN (or Internationalized Domain Name in Indian Language) will help in increasing the penetration of the Internet by the use of local languages.

NOTE: All the registrants of .भारत IDNs will be bound by the #-Link-Snipped-#.

Here's the information currently available with us -

.भारत IDN registrations will be beginning on 15th August 2014, when ‘Sunrise A’ would start. The launch schedule is as follows:

1. Sunrise A
    Start: 15th August, 2014 - End: 15th September, 2014

2. Sunrise B
    Start: 1st September, 2014 - End: 15th September, 2014

3. Quiet Period
    Start: 16th September, 2014 - End: 30th September, 2014

4. Sunrise C
    Start: 1st October, 2014 - End: 31st October, 2014

5. Quiet Period
    Start: 1st November, 2014 - End: 17th November, 2014

6. General Availability
    18th November, 2014 at 09:00 IST [03:30 UTC] onwards

Note :
    Types of Sunrise
    • Sunrise A : Indian Registrant holding Indian Trade marks
    • Sunrise B : Overseas Registrant holding Indian Trade Marks
    • Sunrise C : Existing Registrant holding ASCII domain name .in

• Applications must be submitted to the registry through an #-Link-Snipped-#.

• #-Link-Snipped-# This form must be notarized and sent to the Registry along with your proof of trademark paperwork.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

At a time when inventors are trying to make every almost everything “smarter”, Intel has announced its newest chip that can give cellular internet connectivity to any of them without...
Videocon Industries Limited, a large and diversified Indian company, is the first Indian brand to launch 4K ultra high definition (UHD) smart television in India. The five Smart TV models...
I want to pursue an Industrial Training in Java after btech for having confidence in Java and getting good job. Will it help me? or I will just waste my...
For over last 8-10 months, I've never used the internal speakers on my iMac. Why? Because the internal speakers in a Mac can never match the awesomeness of the Audio...
When we heard news about Jeff Bezos’ ambitious project of delivering goods via drones we were astonished. We discussed the pros and cons of this service and even cracked a...