CrazyEngineers
  • hi guys many previous post says about camless engine but i have a doubt how these ordinary valve timing cams are manufactured. ya we learned to draw cam profiles but how these are manufactured with respect to rotation of crank. mostly they both are connected by chain drive with 1:2 ratio speed. how these perfect lobes on cam are made for the valves. what if i want it at 1:1 ratio speed. pls reply.
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • tufel

MemberJan 28, 2009

Sir,
    recently in an industrial interface i was able 2 see how the inlet & exhaust valve opens. the cam is connected with the follower. the same is connected to the push rod to the rocker arm to the spring when the camshaft rotates the arrangement compresses & expands the spring that makes the valve open at regular intervals
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • gohm

MemberJan 28, 2009

I'm assuming you are refering to roller cams and not flat-tappet or hydraulic lifter type? Lobe lift, pattern & seperation angle all determine cam performance. They are usually made of cast or billet steel. Flat appet lifters cannot be reused or removed, whereas roller cam ones can.
    Cancel
  • 6nv6

MemberJan 31, 2009

im sorry but what is cam engine? 😕
    Cancel
  • gohm

MemberJan 31, 2009

Cams operate the valves of an internal combustion enigine using lobs on a shaft power by a timing gear.
    Cancel
  • shiv200887

MemberFeb 7, 2009

But how cams are manufactured? which technique will they use to machine the cam with such a great accuracy?
    Cancel
  • gohm

MemberFeb 7, 2009

they are normally cast or billet
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register