How Train Takes A Turn?

How a train takes turn? Remember there is no differential mechanism in train wheels.

The correct answer would win a like.

Hint: The answer is not mechanical.

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    The train moves on its tracks, and adheres to it due to magnetic attraction between the tracks and the wheels. so the tracks alone have to be in the curved shape.

Maybe i am wrong. or has it got anything to do with swaying couple ?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    You are completely wrong.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    You are completely wrong.
    #-Link-Snipped-#: A little extra politeness will help.

Get your detailed answer here -> #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Sorry sire.
  • mechky
    mechky
    zaveri
    The train moves on its tracks, and adheres to it due to magnetic attraction between the tracks and the wheels. so the tracks alone have to be in the curved shape.

Maybe i am wrong. or has it got anything to do with swaying couple ?
    There is no magnetic attraction between the tracks and wheels. If that would have been the case, then imagine how much more power would get wasted due to magnetic attraction between tracks and wheels apart from usual friction loss.
  • mechky
    mechky
    Issue
    How a train takes turn? Remember there is no differential mechanism in train wheels.

The correct answer would win a like.

Hint: The answer is not mechanical.
    I guess it is because of the design of wheels as shown in image below.

[​IMG]

Both the wheels have flanges on one side and wheels follow the track. As the wheels approach a curve, flange of one wheel presses against the rail and prevents slipping.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Also, the wheels move slightly on the track so there is a slight diameter difference when taking fast turns. The bogies are flexible which also helps.
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    It is because of the design of the wheels.Wheel tread design unlike the road cars is slanting , like it is cone shaped.While train is moving on straight path then, both the wheels are in contact with the rail in same diameter, which keeps the body centered.While taking a curve,it actually pushes to one side, so that one wheel is in contact at smaller diameter and other one at a larger diameter.This allows both wheels to turn at different speeds.This is why trains slow down while taking a curve, and that noise you hear,like a squealing noise in the railway station , while train is changing tracks.
  • arundtelang
    arundtelang
    Absolutely correct. Because of this design the radius of curvature of a track, while taking a turn is also considerably large. Sharp turn is not possible.
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    post the answer pls....
  • Mohit Kamat
    Mohit Kamat
    what I've noticed is the latest trains have a chassis as in cars on which wheels are mounted indivisually. So each wheel is independent and turn at different speeds
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A similar, interesting question to discuss would be "How does Maglev train take turns?" 😀
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    Its good to learn about the reason behind how a train turns on the track .So,the conclusion is the tires design is responsible for it.
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    due to wheel design, and axle distance is maintained at an appropriate level. Also, we can feel in which direction the train is taking turn. Train is always slightly bend in that direction, the more longer the turn, the more bend the train would be. Comple turn might make the train falls.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

So, I think the social networking has been done. Nope it's overdone. There are a ton of websites that aimed to kick out Facebook; but it looks almost impossible. I'm...
The hover bike basically is a hovercraft redesigned in the form of a bike. I however love the concept and can imagine myself riding it on city streets. Take a...
While i was working in my garage i had a thought that y electro satatic induction does not hold true in case of magnets?please answer this question.
😀 I'm an 4th yr ECE student, want help in my final year project........... so guyz please suggest me projects on microcontrollers, sensors etc.....
hi, please tell me commands in linux that shows u how to create shell scripts in linux enter data and save and how to view the data and how to...