@ISHAN TOPRE • 22 Aug, 2012
How a train takes turn? Remember there is no differential mechanism in train wheels.

The correct answer would win a like.

Hint: The answer is not mechanical.
@zaveri • 22 Aug, 2012 The train moves on its tracks, and adheres to it due to magnetic attraction between the tracks and the wheels. so the tracks alone have to be in the curved shape.

Maybe i am wrong. or has it got anything to do with swaying couple ?
@ISHAN TOPRE • 22 Aug, 2012 You are completely wrong.
@Kaustubh Katdare • 22 Aug, 2012
Issue
You are completely wrong.
Issue: A little extra politeness will help.

Get your detailed answer here -> https://www.spikesys.com/Trains/whel_faq.html
@ISHAN TOPRE • 22 Aug, 2012 Sorry sire.
@mechky • 22 Aug, 2012
zaveri
The train moves on its tracks, and adheres to it due to magnetic attraction between the tracks and the wheels. so the tracks alone have to be in the curved shape.

Maybe i am wrong. or has it got anything to do with swaying couple ?
There is no magnetic attraction between the tracks and wheels. If that would have been the case, then imagine how much more power would get wasted due to magnetic attraction between tracks and wheels apart from usual friction loss.
@mechky • 22 Aug, 2012 • 3 likes
Issue
How a train takes turn? Remember there is no differential mechanism in train wheels.

The correct answer would win a like.

Hint: The answer is not mechanical.
I guess it is because of the design of wheels as shown in image below.

[​IMG]

Both the wheels have flanges on one side and wheels follow the track. As the wheels approach a curve, flange of one wheel presses against the rail and prevents slipping.
@gohm • 23 Aug, 2012 Also, the wheels move slightly on the track so there is a slight diameter difference when taking fast turns. The bogies are flexible which also helps.
@white_hat • 23 Aug, 2012 • 1 like It is because of the design of the wheels.Wheel tread design unlike the road cars is slanting , like it is cone shaped.While train is moving on straight path then, both the wheels are in contact with the rail in same diameter, which keeps the body centered.While taking a curve,it actually pushes to one side, so that one wheel is in contact at smaller diameter and other one at a larger diameter.This allows both wheels to turn at different speeds.This is why trains slow down while taking a curve, and that noise you hear,like a squealing noise in the railway station , while train is changing tracks.
@arundtelang • 24 Aug, 2012 Absolutely correct. Because of this design the radius of curvature of a track, while taking a turn is also considerably large. Sharp turn is not possible.
@NAVATHE SACHIN • 24 Aug, 2012 post the answer pls....
@Mohit Kamat • 27 Aug, 2012 what I've noticed is the latest trains have a chassis as in cars on which wheels are mounted indivisually. So each wheel is independent and turn at different speeds
@Kaustubh Katdare • 27 Aug, 2012 A similar, interesting question to discuss would be "How does Maglev train take turns?" 😀
@vikaskumar11233 • 28 Aug, 2012 Its good to learn about the reason behind how a train turns on the track .So,the conclusion is the tires design is responsible for it.
@rk rao • 28 Aug, 2012 due to wheel design, and axle distance is maintained at an appropriate level. Also, we can feel in which direction the train is taking turn. Train is always slightly bend in that direction, the more longer the turn, the more bend the train would be. Comple turn might make the train falls.

Related Posts

I thought of compiling a list of the coolest and the best whatsapp group names that you've been using for your respective groups. For the sake of convenience, we'll stick...
A simple good bye email or last working day mail ain't cool! We've some awesome templates that you can use. If you're looking for an amazing Last Working Day email...
Hello CEans, How to convert CGPA (10 Point Scale) to Percentage? Please help!
I heard many students are having a trouble registering on the TCS Portal, when it's quite straightforward actually. If you have problem in attaching photos or CV, Use internet explorer...
What is IES or Indian Engineering Services Exam? Union Public Services Commission (UPSC) conducts the Engineering Services Exam or ESE 2016 is an entrance exam for graduates who wish to...