CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Kaustubh Katdare • 12 Mar, 2014
The other day, I was at a local computer shop to buy LAN cable and I asked for a Cat6 one. The guy simply opened a box and asked how long should he cut the cable. At the same time, I began wondering how'd I distinguish between Cat5 and Cat6 cable just by visual inspection? I learn that Cat6 cables are thicker than then Cat5 cables; but if I've no reference cable - how do I go about identifying each one individually?

PS: I read that the cables will always mention the category type; just curious to know if there's any other way.
@Vikram S Bargah • 12 Mar, 2014 • 2 likes
Kaustubh Katdare
The other day, I was at a local computer shop to buy LAN cable and I asked for a Cat6 one. The guy simply opened a box and asked how long should he cut the cable. At the same time, I began wondering how'd I distinguish between Cat5 and Cat6 cable just by visual inspection? I learn that Cat6 cables are thicker than then Cat5 cables; but if I've no reference cable - how do I go about identifying each one individually?

PS: I read that the cables will always mention the category type; just curious to know if there's any other way.
Cat5e cable are just a four pair cable set enclosed in a jacket whereas Cat6 cables have a internal separator that isolate pair from one another. here's a look.

cat53-vs-ca6
@Kaustubh Katdare • 12 Mar, 2014
Vikram S Bargah
Cat5e cable are just a four pair cable set enclosed in a jacket whereas Cat6 cables have a internal separator that isolate pair from one another. here's a look.

cat53-vs-ca6
Thanks, I think that's the reason they are thicker, right? But you can't open the wires loose. Is the connector different in any way? I guess no.
@Vikram S Bargah • 12 Mar, 2014 • 2 likes
Kaustubh Katdare
Thanks, I think that's the reason they are thicker, right? But you can't open the wires loose. Is the connector different in any way? I guess no.
You don't need to open the wires loose , but you can identify it from its top view.

cat6

It looks like this.
@Jason Estibeiro • 12 Mar, 2014 • 2 likes It will be printed along the length of the wire ...Untitled
Like the one which I have ... 😁
@Vikram S Bargah • 13 Mar, 2014 those are fixed length (3 mtrs,7 mtrs) cables.,but if you want to create your own cable you need to check it that way.as its not written on the cable.
@ogundele kehinde samuel • 13 Mar, 2014 Please, can you explain 2 me more abt this cables? The functions, where it can be applied and lot more. Thanks.
22.8k views

Related Posts

@aarthivg · Jul 5, 2012

Debates over the content and censorship of these forms of media have become increasingly prominent as mass production and communication technologies have enabled books, songs and images to be circulated...
5.2k views

@SDKING · Mar 21, 2013

How we can Multiply 4 bit binary Numers??Plz Any One Write The Source code for it...plz guys help me....
6.7k views

@muddysahil · Apr 27, 2011

i am confuse which branch should i take electronic, mechatronics or automobile. please help me with the career options.
4.5k views

@samaira · Aug 19, 2009

what is a sequence generator??how it works?and y do we need it ??and where it is used ??😕
5.6k views

@Dancer_Engineer · Feb 8, 2012

One of my friend is planning to take the TOEFL exam for 2 reasons: 1) To include it in her resume 2) To keep it as an Aim to improve...
3.7k views