How to use WD My Passport External HDD With Mac (OSX)

So I bought a Western Digital (WD) My Passport 1TB external HDD from Flipkart and it arrived just a few moments ago. I quickly unboxed the drive and connected it to my iMac, running OSX Mountain Lion. My assumptions was that iMac would quickly recognize this external HDD just the way it recognizes any flash / pen drive. Unfortunately things were not just as straightforward.

After connecting My Passport to Mac, the system showed an orange colored icon on the desktop. Clicking on the icon would open up pre installed utilities. I installed WD Drive Utilities software and that was all the software I needed to install to get the drive working.

Once the WD Drive Utilities software was installed, I opened the application and went with the default formatting option it had. I formatted the drive and it took about 15-30 seconds for the format to complete. Once that was done, OSX quickly recognized the HDD and offered all of its 999.83 GB of space for my backup needs.

The drive now works like a regular pen drive. The data transfer speeds are amazing with USB cable. I'm copying 15 Gigs of photos and videos I had accumulated from various trips and it all got copied on the HDD in about 5-7 minutes. Impressive!

My only complaint with the drive is that the USB cable that comes with this drive is very short, just about a foot in length. Rest, it all works like a charm. Will post a long term ownership review sometime in future.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Here is some more information, try copying the data from that disc to windows pc, I guess you will not be able to do it.

It need a different format option , so I have a hard disk same WD 1 TB, I have windows PC and my friend has Mac and we are not able to transfer data..

Is there a option we can try so that that disk works on both the machines?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what is the difference between project and product???.. can anybody tell main difference..
All of us at some point of time had watched cartoon network and animax especially at your childhood days but which cartoon do you miss very much? mine: *tom and...
while there is a elastic limit for tensile ,compressive and shear stresses, is there a elastic limit for thermal stress?where the solid comes back to its original state when the...
All new ” EXCITING H DESIGN!!! ” is the latest announcement that the Auto giant Honda has came up recently. Those three exclamations do really have a meaning behind it....
Audi India has come up with a good news for Audi lovers. Its none other than upgraded version of Audi A4 2.0 TDI at at price tag of INR 31.74...