How to use JMeter?

Anyone has any ideas in short - how to use JMeter ?

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Re: The LOOO0000oooooo000OONG Thread

shalini_goel14
    Anyone has any ideas in short - how to use JMeter ?
    In One of my project I used Jmeter for load testing.

The easiest way to begin using JMeter is to first download the latest production release and install it. The release contains all of the files you need to build and run most types of tests, e.g. Web (HTTP/HTTPS), FTP, JDBC, LDAP, Java, and JUnit.

If you want to perform JDBC testing, then you will, of course, need the appropriate JDBC driver from your vendor. JMeter does not come with any JDBC drivers.

Other software that you may need to download:
    BeanShell - needed for the BeanShell function and test elements
    Java Activation Framework - needed for JavaMail
    Java Mail - needed for Mail Visualiser, Mail Reader and WebService(SOAP) sampler
    JMS - for JMS samplers
    General Java download page

Next, start JMeter and go through the Building a Test Plan section of the User Guide to familiarize yourself with JMeter basics (for example, adding and removing elements).

Finally, go through the appropriate section on how to build a specific type of Test Plan. For example, if you are interested in testing a Web application, then see the section Building a Web Test Plan.

Once you are comfortable with building and running JMeter Test Plans, you can look into the various configuration elements (timers, listeners, assertions, and others) which give you more control over your Test Plans.

If you need any specific help for Jmeter, please start a new thread. There are a few automation/performance engineers on CE. They may help you on that.

Thanks,
    -Crazy
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Re: The LOOO0000oooooo000OONG Thread

Yep, I guess even I am also supposed to use it for load testing only .Not sure though ๐Ÿ˜•

Anyways , Thanks a ton CB for such a quick and informative reply ๐Ÿ˜€. I will get back to you for further queries.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thread moved to CS/IT Section ๐Ÿ˜€
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hey CB,
    I am again back to trouble you, testing and running TP is quite easy but do you have any ideas how to create .jmx files or scripts using jmeter?

While creating a TP, what is this Group , Controller request thing? Are they always mandatory? What is their use? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance !
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Shalini,

I had once prepared a user manul for internal testing,I have screenshots as wllMay be they can be of some help to you.It was really long time ago , just take up what ever you need and leave the remaingin crap.
    i am not sure of variables what you are suppsoed to use. I am unable to post screenshots here
    1.2 J-Metre
    1.2.1 How do we achieve this objective to uploading the XML file
    We use J-metre to upload XML files
    J-Meter is a JAVA Application designed to load test client/server software by letting us to create/upload test scripts to validate that the application returns back the result what we expect
    We need to create a Test Plan in J-meter so that the scripts can be loaded and run
    1.2.2 Steps to configure J-Meter are as follows
    a. Creating a Test Plan
    A test plan describes a series of steps JMeter will execute when run. A complete test plan will consist of one or more Thread Groups, logic controllers, sample generating controllers, listeners, timers, assertions, and configuration elements.
    b. Adding and Removing Elements:
    Adding elements to test a plan can be done by right-clicking on an element in the tree, and choosing a new element from the "add" list. Alternatively, elements can be loaded from file and added by choosing the "open" option. To remove an element, make sure the element is selected, right-click on the element, and choose the "remove" option
    c. Loading and saving elements:
    To load an element from file, right click on the existing tree element to which you want to add the loaded element, and select the "open" option. Choose the file where your elements are saved. JMeter will load the elements into the tree. To save tree elements, right click on an element and choose the "save" option. JMeter will save the element selected, plus all child elements beneath it. In this way, you can save test tree fragments, individual elements, or the entire test plan.

d. Configure Tree Elements:
    Any element in the test tree will present controls in JMeter's right-hand frame. These controls allow you to configure the behaviour of that particular test element. What can be configured for an element depends on what type of element it is
    e. Saving the Test plan:
    Although it is not required, we recommend that you save the Test Plan to a file before running it. To save the Test Plan, select Save Test Plan from the File menu
    f. Running a Test Plan:
    To run your test plan, choose "start" from the "run" menu item. To stop your test plan, choose "stop" from the same menu. When JMeter is running, it shows a small green box at the right hand end of the section just under the menu bar. You can also check the "run" menu. If "start" is disabled, and "stop" is enabled, then JMeter is running your test plan
    g. Error Reporting:
    JMeter reports warnings and errors to the jmeter.log file, as well as some information on the test run itself. Just occasionally there may be some errors that JMeter is unable to trap and log; these will appear on the command console. If a test is not behaving as you expect, please check the log file in case any errors have been reported

1.2.3 Elements of Test Plan
    a. Thread Group:
    Thread group elements are the beginning points of any test plan. All elements of a test plan must be under a thread group. As the name implies, the thread group element controls the number of threads JMeter will use to execute your test
    b. Controllers:
    JMeter has two types of Controllers: Samplers and Logical Controllers
    Samplers Controllers tell JMeter to send requests to a server. For example, add an HTTP Request Sampler if you want JMeter to send an HTTP request. We Use SOAP as a controller for our testing purposes
    Logic Controllers us customize the logic that JMeter uses to decide when to send requests. For example, you can add an Interleave Logic Controller to alternate between two HTTP Request Samplers.
    c. listeners:
    The "View Results Tree" Listener shows details of sampler requests and responses, and can display basic HTML and XML representations of the response
    1.2.4 Usage of J-Metera. Go ahead and add the Thread Group element by first selecting the Test Plan, clicking your right mouse button to get the Add menu, and then select Add --> Thread Group.
    You should now see the Thread Group element under Test Plan. If you do not see the element, then "expand" the Test Plan tree by clicking on the Test Plan element. Next, you need to modify the default properties. Select the Thread Group element in the tree, if you have not already selected it. You should now see the Thread Group Control Panel in the right section of the JMeter windowA

ThreadGroup has been added successfully

b.Add a Web Service(SOAP)Request controller:

c.Add a listener by selecting a View Result tree

d.A Read SOAP Response needs to be checked

Here we need to enter the
    Server name or IP: xwsgsitappl001.optus.com.au
    Port Number: 18105
    SOAP field: not needed
    Path: Web Service name
    The XML can either be written in SOAP/XML _RPC DATA (or) can be browsed and uploaded by clicking on the browse button

The functionality of the WEBSERVICES vary .
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Luckily my TL told me how to make scripts within 5 minutes and I have successfully started creating scripts also.

My problem solved. Thanks a lot to durga and CB also ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    @ Durga - nice material.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    thanks!
    I had did a little bit of testing using JMetre and my manager wanted me to document stuff to give it to offshore !
    this is from that doc! I
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Whoa.. no idea what this is, but impressive contributions!
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Anyone here has any ideas how to send multiple request parameters in single parameter using jmeter "CSV Data set Config element"?

Like I have parameters list like following:

param1=abc
    param2=def
    paramN=xyz
    I want to maintain this information in 1 single .txt file and allow my script to just pick it up from there and can access the values using following expression language

${PARAM_NAME} and ${PARAM_VALUE}
    Anyone any ideas about it?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Those who want to know more about jmeter , can check following link.
    *Wonderful Tutorial *

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Well, I found till now that in a "single" request it is not possible to send multiple parameters just using following type of file

param1=abc
    param2=def
    paramN=xyz
    but yes I can pass multiple values from a single file , for eg. now my file would be:
    abc;def;...;xyz
    and parameters passed will be in form
    param1=${value1}
    param2=${value2}
    paramN=${valueN}
    Correct me if any wrong infomation imparted. Well ! My problem solved.๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks !
  • anand.iitt
    anand.iitt
    I do agree with the whole of rest view for the precious contribution from Durga as its also a note of learning for a begineer like me
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    shalini_goel14
    Correct me if any wrong infomation imparted. Well ! My problem solved.๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks !
    You had solved it in correct manner.

I am happy that after solving your problems you also updated the thread with solutions.

Good job Shalini !!

-CB
  • mpavank
    mpavank
    Hi all please look in to below links you come to know how to use/start with jMeter with detail steps
    #-Link-Snipped-#

samplers and assertions of jmter
    please look in to below link how to use samplers and assertions in Jmerer
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • glinius
    glinius
    Official Apache JMeter - User's Manual from Apache is a good place to start with. It has all test elements and components description, sample test plans, etc. Another nice resource is JMeter Tutorial Video series, you may ramp-up faster watching video guides which cover the most frequently asked topics.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, This idea (details included below) struck my mind sometime early this morning ๐Ÿ˜. We have a huge base of students from various parts of the world. Most of them...
hello everyone.... i want to ask wat is the best antivirus software now? and where can i download it? ๐Ÿ˜€
Is it allowed to post a job in this forum.
Does anybody have any experience width Ciena DWDM equipment? How is it? My company is engaging multi million dollars deal with them. What I have to prepare for? Do I...
It's been awhile since we've heard of any major advancements in the world of quantum cryptography, but at long last the silence is being broken by a squad of jubilant...