How to take backup of oracle database

Hello,
I am having Oralce 9i databases in my system and I want to format a system,so how to take backup of oracle database and what are the steps I have to follow in order to take a correct back up ?

Replies

• sookie
    sookie
    Hi mahesh_dahale

Please check this link #-Link-Snipped-# if can be of any use. You can skip the archiving part. Also Please share with us the exact steps you did to solve your problem .

Thanks !
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    Thanks,
    It is sufficient to take a backup of control file and data files
    For Datafile
    sql> ALTER TABLESPACE (tablespace name) begin backup
    Copy (datafilename) to /backupdir/
    ALTER TABLESPACE (datafilename) END BACKUP;
    Switch to Log file
    sql> ALTER system switch logfile;

And for control file
    Sql>ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE
    TO '/home/ora/1159/home/Backupdir/control.dbf'; (pathofbackupdir)

I hope it’s sufficient 😕
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Other way you can use exp and imp tools provided.
    You can either run exp.exe ( it's in bin folder where your oracle is installed ) or you can just run this command :
    EXP scott/tiger file=backup.dmp tables=( )
    After this copy this backup.dmp generated in bin folder and when you install new oracle,paste it in bin folder of that and to import it again use imp.exe or use this command :
    imp userid=scott file=backup.dmp fromuser=scott touser=scott
    I don't remember exact imp command.In above command you have to provide password also but i don't remember how to do that.If you can't find how to use that just use imp.exe and it will ask you uername and password and all other required fields.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here’s how: 1. First open Command Prompt (Start>Run>Type “cmd” without the quotes) 2. On the flushing cursor type “diskpart” (again without the quotes) Note: Wait for the Diskpart> and the...
    if SI engine fuel is changed from Petrol to LPG (Liquified petroleum gas), will there be any drop in engine life. What are the adverse effects expected from the outcome...
    Hi All, Since last few hours I am trying a script for disabling right click in all browsers done either through keyboard or mouse. It is working fine in other...
    i am making a IR emitter detector circuit in which i have to use a preset resistor which is a three pin variable resistor of this type- please anyone tell...
    Air traffic control: It’s a good topic you can choose it, but try to stress on Indian ATC. Active pixel sensor😔or the CMOS sensor) can be clubbed along with the...