CrazyEngineers
  • I hope I titled the post appropriately 😀. I only get 4 seconds to select the OS on my machine.

I know that there's a setting which allows me to set the time to 15 seconds. Please tell me what/where is the setting 😒 ?

-The Big K-

p.s: The question is 'too basic' (??). I've not yet jumped out of Windows, you see 😉
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • desijays

MemberDec 8, 2006

okay, you never mentioned what distro you are using. But i'll presume you are using either an RPM based or DEB based distro.

for once stay at the computer while booting and within four seconds log into the linux OS.

After you are logged in, search for a file called /boot/grub/grub.conf (older versions) or /boot/grub/menu.lst (newer version). Either one of them are just plain normal text files. Open the file with a normal text editor (vi, emacs or alike).

Scroll down a bit. You will see an entry that says something like "timeout" and a few tabs away you will see a number. The number is the parameter in seconds. Change that parameter to the number of seconds you want.

I think your problem must be solved by now. 😀

peace
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • pad

MemberDec 11, 2006

and then dont forget to run

#grub-install

this will actually make the changes effective
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorDec 11, 2006

Thanks desijays & pad 😀

The problem has been solved

-The Big K-
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register