How to select topic for your engineering project (final & third year)?

Every year, tens of thousands of students from all over the world visit CrazyEngineers to look for project topics and project ideas for their final or third year academic submissions. It turns out that selecting an innovative and interesting project idea for your academic engineering project is a big deal for students. I decided to write an article to simplify this process so that you can come up with your own innovative ideas. Of course, it does not mean we're not there to help you. You may always check out our #-Link-Snipped-# Or browse #-Link-Snipped-# section. I'm sure you will ultimately find the most ideal topic for your project.

Note: This article caters to all the disciplines in Engineering and therefore is very generic in nature. The main theme is to help you come up with your own project idea.

How to select project idea?

The whole process of picking up a good idea begins with understanding why the college/University requires you to develop a project as a part of your curriculum. It's because working on a project puts all your theoratical knowledge into practical use; and it's a great learning experience! That means you will have to come up with a project idea that is in sync with your existing knowledge. This is *very important*. Please note that you will be required to learn a lot of new things while you are working on the project. Now let's discuss how should you go about picking up a project idea.

1. You don't have to come up with Earth-breaking, Nobel Winning Idea.

No one expects you to develop a brand-new project that the humans haven't seen before. All you should focus on is 'improvements in the things around you'. If you wish to develop an app : think of a problem that you have faced and have felt that there should have been an app to do that! If you are an electronics / electrical engineer - think of something that you can do with electronics. For example: Can you help moms track their tiny babies with sensors and a mobile app? Isn't that a cool idea?

The same goes with Chemical, Mechanical, Structural, Metallury, Civil and Biotech engineers. Look for improvements and things that can be done better than current solutions. Of course you might just take up a study project - but you should have your project guide's approval.

2. Team

Make sure that the topic selection is always a team effort. Every person in the team should be convinced that the topic is the right one for them. If a topic is of interest to only few members of the team; the team won't be able to function together throughout the duration of the project. If you want the entire team to stick together and work with enthusiasm; you need everyone's consent for the topic.

3. Budget

Budget is always the criteria that you and your team should consider when deciding on your final year or third year engineering project. Make a correct estimate; and if you can't - seek help from our fellow experts on CrazyEngineers. Also analyse if you will ever need funding for your project. If the answer is yes; you need to start looking for the sources right away.

4. Hardware / Software / Tools / Technology Needed

One of the most important factors in your topic selection will be the overall requirements of the project - and whether the team is comfortable with them. If your project requires you to work on Java - is everyone in your team comfortable coding in Java? If your project requires you to have Raspberry Pi; ensure that all the team members are comfortable using it. If not - have the consent of all the users to learn the required resources as fast as they can.

5. Use CrazyEngineers

This might look like an advertisement; but you will benefit a lot. The project ideas and seminar topics section has tons of ideas which you can use or even better - mix two or more ideas to come up with a new one!

If you need assistance, we are always there! All you need to do is join CrazyEngineers (if you haven't already), and describe what you are looking for in detail here -> #-Link-Snipped-# .

Please keep in mind the more detailed your question is; the more detailed will be answer from others! 😀

Replies

• Kavya m.s.
    Kavya m.s.
    I have this idea of doing a project on solid waste management,which is a huge issue right now in bangalore.can get some suggestions regarding this!?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Kavya m.s.
    I have this idea of doing a project on solid waste management,which is a huge issue right now in bangalore.can get some suggestions regarding this!?
    Well, that definitely a very useful and a worthy project idea. However, we need more clarity on what exactly you are looking to do. Have you done any search online to find out what are the existing solutions and what improvement you think you can work on?

I'm sure you will find lot of interesting ideas to work on if you think in this direction.
  • Kavya m.s.
    Kavya m.s.
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, that definitely a very useful and a worthy project idea. However, we need more clarity on what exactly you are looking to do. Have you done any search online to find out what are the existing solutions and what improvement you think you can work on?

I'm sure you will find lot of interesting ideas to work on if you think in this direction.
    Thankq soo much sir for your reply.there are few methods like Bangalore method designed by iisc Bangalore n so many similar to it.may I noe about institutes which will fund for student projects n websites related my topic so that I can get more clarity on what to do and how to do.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How an operating system interract with hardware?
Oscar Mayer, the American meat company famous for its wieners, has created the first-ever, bacon scented app and plug-in accessory. It has made use of some potential bacon-themed dreams into...
hi,am working on a project of ripening of mangoes by the application of thermal energy.my idea is to design a portable thermodynamic system and apply heat to the system to...
After tasting mild success with Panasonic P51 and the popular Panasonic P11 and T11, the company has come up with it's latest smartphone for India with Panasonic P31. Packed with...
I am following PhoneBloks from very long time. The most exciting project of this decade! [HASHTAG]#personalopinion[/HASHTAG] On 14th April in ATAP, Google will announce MDK (Modular Development Kit) to attract...