How to protect smartphone from dust?

I had to take my Galaxy Note to the servicing center for the third time today. Reason? The dust accumulated on the Proximity Sensor caused the dim red light to be in 'always on' mode. This resulted into making it impossible to disconnect a call because the screen wouldn't turn back on once the call was over.

The servicing center guy told me that the big problem is because of the dust that enters inside the phone via various vents (earpiece, speakers, stylus etc.) and then settles on the delicate parts of the motherboard. Cleaning the sensor head solves the problem for 3-4 months and then the problem repeats.

I've been told that the lamination would solve the problem; but I'm not sure if that'd really help. Is there any proven way to protect the phone from dust? Has using cover helped you?

Replies

• lal
    lal
    Lamination might help. But that is a pain in the rear. Besides, I would definitely not like my phone covered in total transparent plastic. My firend, using an SII, has this rubber back cover on his phone. Easily detachable and being the same colour as the device, it looks good. I think that closes most of the possible openings which would have otherwise let dust inside.

By the way, what are the possible openings through which dust can enter. Lets innovate 😐 besides, we are engineers! I would rule out ear piece, it is well sealed. The loud speaker grill can be one option. In my phone, the main sources of dust are 3.5mm audio jack, charger slot and the data cable slot (I broke the cover there somehow).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I actually saw the dust on the sensor! The guy cleaned it up and the sensor started working again. I absolutely have no clue from where would the dust enter the phone. But it did!

I'm wondering if it's the very fine dust that gets accumulated over a period of time. However, I was told that dust accumulation over the sensors isn't a common problem with the phone. Don't know what's wrong with mine. I've anyway ordered a new proximity sensor and it should arrive in the next 3-4 days. I'll get it replaced and see if the proximity sensor itself is faulty.

That said, you could open the device and see the dust for yourself. Not sure from where it enters.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I know my advice will look odd. I had covered my phone with two covers:

- Body covers that saves it from impact of falling (My 3 year old daughter is a threat.. 😀)
    - Flip cover, that saves the screen from dust and sweating.

These are my 2 cents, that saved my S2 till date.. 😀 ( 😉 touch wood)

-CB

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

​Yamaha Motors India today introduced a new scooter on Indian roads - called Yamaha Ray Z. The price of the scooter starts at Rs. 48555 (ex-showroom, Delhi) and like the...
Hello CEans, Gather here & vote for the CEan you would like to see in the next round.Please don't vote more than one CEan.Multiple votes makes the selection a bit...
Hardly bigger than the tabla, this little guy has a big heart.
After the recent launch of Signature A119Q as a mid-range smartphone, Celkon is adding two budget Android phones to the Signature series, the Celkon Signature One A107 and the Celkon...
Sony Xperia Tablet Z which made its first appearance at the Consumer Electronics Show in US earlier this year is now available in India for pre-order. The model up for...