How to prevent: 'SMS' equivalent text, non-english posts, long trail of dots in posts

CEans,

This (read the title) has been a point of concern ever since the inception of CE Forums. How can we build a professional-yet-fun-loving community of engineers?

It doesn't make sense to have 'rules' for ourselves. We are a community of educated people from various parts of the world. Yet it is disheartening to see posts like this -

"hieeee.... m new here......temme how 2 get a job in software comp".

All thanks to Social Networking Sites like Orkut, Hi5, Friendster etc.

To be frank, there is nothing 'wrong' with the question. But the problem is with the way the message is written. Doesn't it make sense to have posts
written in simple English? I hope most of you will agree with me.

The best way to maintain quality on forums is to educate new members who turn to us from social networking websites. How do we go about ensuring all new members know the little expectation from them on CE?

My thoughts -
  • Improve our CE Common Sense Guide
  • All regular members include a link to Common Sense Guide in their signature.
  • Include a link to CE Common Sense Guide in our 'Welcome Mail' to new members.
  • Promote use of 'Newbie training center' through links in our posts and signatures.
Let me know if you have better ideas. Don't you all think we can make a difference over here?

-The Big K-

Replies

• DEP
    DEP
    i completely agree with your view..............

and i am sure sooner or later the youth if not all atleast the CEans will realize this..........

bye.........
  • crook
    crook
    Re: How to prevent: 'SMS' equivalent text, non-english posts, long trail of dots in p

DEP
    i completely agree with your view..............

and i am sure sooner or later the youth if not all atleast the CEans will realize this..........

bye.........
    The long trail of dots in your posts clearly indicates that you totally disagree with biggie's point. ๐Ÿ˜

Too much of sarcasm? eh?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: How to prevent: 'SMS' equivalent text, non-english posts, long trail of dots in p

crook
    The long trail of dots in your posts clearly indicates that you totally disagree with biggie's point. ๐Ÿ˜

Too much of sarcasm? eh?
    As I said, thanks to the 'scrapbook' culture. We don't even realize that we are actually putting long trail of dots ๐Ÿ˜€ .

Let's hope that things will improve over the time. Drop in your ideas. I'm sure you have many!

-The Big K-
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    The_Big_K
    CEans,

This (read the title) has been a point of concern ever since the inception of CE Forums. How can we build a professional-yet-fun-loving community of engineers?

It doesn't make sense to have 'rules' for ourselves. We are a community of educated people from various parts of the world. Yet it is disheartening to see posts like this -

To be frank, there is nothing 'wrong' with the question. But the problem is with the way the message is written. Doesn't it make sense to have posts

The best way to maintain quality on forums is to educate new members who turn to us from social networking websites. How do we go about ensuring all new members know the little expectation from them on CE?

My thoughts -
    • Promote use of 'Newbie training center' through links in our posts and signatures.
    Let me know if you have better ideas. Don't you all think we can make a difference over here?

-The Big K-
    Mr. Big K,

I totally agree with your veiwpoint the thing is that the access of the group should be of limited sense and this kind of group with selected people can positively go for a good respose. If everybody is pulled in then this type of group will turn in pool of water with extra boats.

Regards

vibhor_one
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

vibhor_one
    Mr. Big K,

I totally agree with your veiwpoint the thing is that the access of the group should be of limited sense and this kind of group with selected people can positively go for a good respose. If everybody is pulled in then this type of group will turn in pool of water with extra boats.

Regards

vibhor_one
    Thanks for the support, vibhor_one. Its not that we are restricting ourselves to limited number of Engineers. We, the Engineers, are an educated tribe ( :mgreen: ) and we have really great ( yes! ) Engineers on CE. We are read by people from all over the world. So it makes sense to take a moment to work on the formatting of our posts.

I'm thinking about putting a message that asks new members to visit our Common Sense Guide before actually posting on forums.

-The Big K-
  • DEP
    DEP

crook

Too much of sarcasm? eh?

you should think twice before commenting anything about anyont.but If you are happy with your imagination,i surely have no problem with that.
    good bye๐Ÿ˜‰
  • DEP
    DEP

The_Big_K
    As I said, thanks to the 'scrapbook' culture. We don't even realize that we are actually putting long trail of dots ๐Ÿ˜€ .

Let's hope that things will improve over the time. Drop in your ideas. I'm sure you have many!

-The Big K-

why you keep on emphasizing on the "scrapbook" & "sms" culture??
    let me tel you one thing , am neither an orkut member nor a mobile(SMS) freak. Use of dots etc. are meant simply to make the text more readable and thats all.

i could never ever think that a "long trail of dots" can create such a mess.

anyway i cant do anything abt it.
  • DEP
    DEP
    The_Big_K
    CEans,

My thoughts -

-The Big K-

one more thing i was the one to give the 5* rating to ur thread.
  • crook
    crook

DEP
    one more thing i was the one to give the 5* rating to ur thread.
    ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ I gave 5 star rating as well!

DEP
    why you keep on emphasizing on the "scrapbook" & "sms" culture??
    let me tel you one thing , am neither an orkut member nor a mobile(SMS) freak. Use of dots etc. are meant simply to make the text more readable and thats all.

i could never ever think that a "long trail of dots" can create such a mess.

anyway i cant do anything abt it.
    I remember biggie and I had a discussion on this when the forum had only about 400 members. We found out that (from several good pages on Internet, books, novels etc.) that officially 3 dots are permitted ๐Ÿ˜ . The dots are usually used for inserting the pause or to have user give an extended thought to the phrase. However, I think long trails of dots after every 4-5 words doesn't make the post readable.

That's just my opinion. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • DEP
    DEP

crook
    ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ I gave 5 star rating as well!

I remember biggie and I had a discussion on this when the forum had only about 400 members. We found out that (from several good pages on Internet, books, novels etc.) that officially 3 dots are permitted ๐Ÿ˜ . The dots are usually used for inserting the pause or to have user give an extended thought to the phrase. However, I think long trails of dots after every 4-5 words doesn't make the post readable.

That's just my opinion. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

you could have said this in your first reply and i wud have gracefully accepted your point.
    obviously i didnt knw "3 dots" thing before.
    anyways thanks and you can check out my posts ,they dont contain more than 3 dots.
  • Rocker
    Rocker
    I must say that this is a very good initiative. Count me in folks!

Let's keep the CE world rocking ๐Ÿ˜ !
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld

I suggest to Big_k that
    Provide this link (including Newbie training center ) as a mandatorymandatory - Google Search visit. I saw many website which forces to see any link.They tell us that administer request you to "click here" befor you start posting.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi All , Today I must welcome you all for a detailed discussion on energy security for our country INDIA. Post your veiws as earliest. Regards, vibhor_one
give me a one line code to execute if && else statements simultaneously. dont use a ; after else statement !!!
what is the involved for a robot to detect a line and detect it
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hello CEans![/FONT] Lot of CEans are in their third/final year of Engineering. As students, they seldom get chance to face real life situations where they actually face the interviews....
I wish you could help me preparing for Gre with sample questions in Verbal.Im foxed .do not know where to start.