How to optimize image rich application ?

Hello Engineer's
I am developing a shopping cart application in which number of images are used to show the items.
Any shopkeeper can submit the item's information with images using this application. As the submission of image is open for every registered customer he can upload the image of any size(upto 2MB).
Guy's i don't want to reduce the uploading size of images but want to improve the speed of page loading.
One idea that comes to my mind is to use compression algorithm. Is it the one that will be used in real time application's or some else ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There are a few ways I can think of -
    • Create thumbnails of the uploaded images and display them. This will definitely cut-down on the loading times.
    • Use a content delivery network (CDN), preferably from Amazon (cloudfront) - a very cheap CDN that works like charm. That should take off the load off your server and the images will be delivered from Amazon's servers - which would definitely be faster for the end users.
    • You may use image compression algorithm as you said.
    • Have a look- #-Link-Snipped-#
    • Have a look at Google mod_pagespeed module for Apache - it does most of the good job required to render pages faster.
    I hope this helps or give you a few ideas to consider. We've plenty of CS folks here who might offer you a better advice. 👍
  • The_Small_k
    The_Small_k
    #-Link-Snipped-# Thanks for the help biggie.
    Can you tell me which technique you are using to display the images in this forum ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The images are turned into thumbnails for the guests but we don't compress them. It's not a image-heavy platform in the first place. The blog serves the images through CDN from Amazon which handles all the rendering.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

LG might be the underdog of the smartphone markets in India, but the company's definitely doing well with their Optimus brand. Much awaited Optimus G might make it to Indian...
hi guys i tried to access my yahoo id thru hp tab unfortunately the id got locked also my alternate email id is deleted can anybody help me pls my...
sir, please suggest me some ppt topics anyone related mechanical....but should be unique....
CAN ANYONE WHO ARE FROM IT INDUSTRY PLEASE SAY ME ABOUT THE CERTIFICATIONS OFFERED BY CISCO LIKE CCNA? PLEASE DONT GIVE URL'S. IAM TIRED OF READING THOSE THINGS. PLEASE INFORM...
how to add image on button using awt in java without swing?