how to measure weight of shaft mounted on lathe machine

hi
i m mech engg student ,,well i m doing project on productivity control in manufacturing industry. i got stuck at one place were i had to measure the wieght of shaft which is mounted on machine,.................pls suggest any mesuring instrument or technique expect the fomula (volume * density)

thanks
akash

Replies

• xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Re: how to measure wieght of shaft munted on lathe machine

Wow, this is an interesting problem.

I can just think of one possible way if its difficult to measure density / volume. However i suspect the shaft SHOULD have its data sheet somewhere in the office (which gives all the important details like weight).

Anyway, here is a try from my side, (correct anything if its wrong):

I will be assuming the following data:
    1. your "Shaft" is a cylinder.
    2. Your shaft is connected to a motor which can rotate it.
    3. You have all the motor specifications like RPM, Power (kW) etc.

We will use this formula to get the weight:

For cylinder rotating along length..I (Moment of Inertia) is:
    [​IMG] So Mass(kg) = ( I[sub]z[/sub] * 2 ) / r[sup]2[/sup]

How to find I (Moment of Inertia) ?:

torque = I[sub]z[/sub] x Alpha (Angular Acceleration in rad/s)
    I[sub]z[/sub]= Torque in N.m / Angular Acceleration in rad/s[sup]2[/sup]

How to find torque and Angular Acceleration?:

Torque-N.m = (60,000 * Power in kWh) / ( 2 * pi * RPM motor rotation speed )

Get power from Motor datasheet, or it will be printed on the motor in kW! Run the motor at constant speed to get RPM from a hand-held tachometer (Use same speed for other calculations).

For Angular Acceleration:

use this formula: final A.velocity in rad/s = Initial A.velocity in rad/s + Angular Acceleration * time in seconds.

to use this, start the machine (Initial A.vel = 0) and calculate the time it takes to reach a constant final A.vel in RMP. Convert this final Angular Velocity to RPM by dividing the rad/s with 2pi. Then substitute in above formula to get Angular Acceleration in rad/s[sup]2[/sup].

Do the above and (hopefully) you will get the shaft mass.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, In our quest of uniting engineers around the world, we've joined hands with the craziest & the best engineers. CEan J2R, aka Just2Rock aka Soumik Ghosh is one of...
I'm Deepak, Completed my BE (ECE) and currently working in bangalore as a software engineer. Looking at the kind of people around I feel I'm going to fit in perfectly....
I'm surprised we haven't discussed the concept of Web based operating systems yet! So here we go. I imagine a central server that hosts an operating system. We connect to...
No, I have not taken this interview. Neither do Joe Kraus knows me personally. (but ah!, I would like to know him though.) I was just plain impressed by the...
hii all! i just want to know how reliable external 2.5 " hdds are.. i had this one 80gb with usb support purchased a couple of months earlier. my system...