How to measure the acceleration of motor?

I am working on a project, for which I want to measure the acceleration of machine.
Is their any tool to do that or any formula which is based on its rating like power, current and other.

(If there is any machine which is available at cheapest cost please let me know.)

Please reply if you know anything about this.
Thanks You,
Vipul😀

Replies

• lal
    lal
    To the best of my knowledge, I don't think there is a machine available for that purpose. But yeah, I believe it can be done by measuring the current.

A motor takes high starting current and slowly this current decreases to the rated value once the motor attains the rated speed. The rated current and rated speed of motor are available from the name plate. With the help of an ammeter and a stop watch I think we can measure the acceleration.

Measure the time required for the current to decrease to rated value from the instant of switching the motor ON. Now the initial speed is 0 RPM and final speed is rated RPM. Time taken to reach 0 to rated RPM is measured. So now the acceleration can be found out by (rated rpm - 0)/time. A few repetative measurements and its average should give a descent value I believe.
  • Sparker
    Sparker
    why you need to measure acceleration ?? u can measure the speed with tachometer and with algberaic operation with time u can measure the acceleration ?
  • lal
    lal
    Ordinary tachometers doesn't give an instantaneous feed back. It takes some time for the meter to calculate and display the rpm. Well it depends on what type of meter is being used, still. That should bring a fair amount of error, depending on the speed of meter response.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I wish to know what are some of the alternative career options for a Marine Engineer apart from IES and MBA?
I am a graduate of Electrical/Electronics Engineering currently undergoing a one-year training in Process Automation,Control and optimization (PACO) at the Design office of Shell Petroleum Development Company In Port Harcourt...
Does transient response of a second order system depends upon the input magnitude ? I want to know let for unit step and 10 U(t) ,do the maximum overshoot or...
A majority of the defects circuit-board assembly are caused due to issues in solder-paste printing process or due to defects in the solder paste. There are many different types of...
Ever wondered which company on the planet has the crown for filing the most number of patents in the US every year? Well, it's your old International Business Machines aka...