How to manage this unexplainable syllabus and attendance issue in engineering colleges?

I'm a Nit hamirpur cse 1st yr student and it has taken me 2 semesters to realize how restricted mindset we start adapting to , due to syallbus and attendance issues......it's so frustrating sometimes and I'm not able to figure out the right way out ?

Replies

• Mohit Patil
    Mohit Patil

I can understand how you feel. Unfortunately, the syllabus they have in the Universities is not at all up to date with the what the rest of the computer world is up to. There is no easy way out. You must start taking interest in computer science subjects and develop programming skills on your own even if the college doesn't help. I had to attend every class when I was in college and the first two years were pathetic. I literally had 90% attendance because all my professors were very strict. Aim for the minimum required attendance that will make you eligible for all the exams. Do not forget to enjoy your engineering studies. These will undoubtedly be the best days of your life - which you will realize a few years after you graduate. 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

I'm tempted to write something; but could you elaborate a bit on restricted mindset that you mentioned? This is likely to be an interesting discussion. 

• Parth Bhardwaj
    Parth Bhardwaj

#-Link-Snipped-# Thanks sir........days pass by just coz of the schedule and you already know the syallbus issue.....that's what concerns me- why the heck am I attending a government engineering clg.....just paying lakhs for maintaining attendance and not learning new things......I m able to be productive when not attending clg...I have been good with academics , Ive played badminton at state level , I love singing , I play basketball and many other activities.......I find it so tough to upgrade my skills just coz I have to give them 75% attendance......teachers are good there is no problem with that but they are even too tired and they themselves know about the syallbus being out dated......it hurts somedays but I move on with upgrading myself

• Parth Bhardwaj
    Parth Bhardwaj

#-Link-Snipped-# Sure sir.......it has only been 2 semesters for me in this clg and I pretty much figured out this......everyone just runs for cgpa in the clg and then after 4 yrs a job.....no student gives a damn abut anything but to extract marks somehow.......attendance is the only motive to reach the class everyday......I remember so many memes that are forwarded on this everyday......but this is so frustrating.......sometimes days pass by just attending clg , making assignments  and sleeping........I realize the clg don't matter much but how well I can manage everything to extract time for myself is all that is going to be of great worth later

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

It's true that most of the colleges don't matter; but you took admission in it for the Engineering Degree. College education may not be relevant; but it's still is going to be a requirement when you apply for the job. There's nothing to get frustrated about it. 

Invest your time in learning the skills. Be awesome at programming; learn AI, build your own GIT repo, code an awesome project on your own - and you are all set. At the same time, you must make sure that you maintain a minimum performance in all your exams so that you are eligible for placements. 

Make the most out of all the events and participate in all of them. I was invited to my alma-mater yesterday and they now do 10x the events we used to do - and boy, I can't tell you how much I miss those days. Enjoy them; they won't be back. 

By the way; you can manage your time if you really want to. Get up at 4 am every day and sleep at 10. You'll have the time to do everything.

PS: I've done it; and hence I know. 

• Vinay Mishra
    Vinay Mishra

#-Link-Snipped-# But sir Its really too hard to handle this kind of pressure. I leave home by 7:00 AM and reach to home at 6:00 PM. Now I have 3 or 4 hours for my family, for my own studies, and for the assignments, manuals, and work which I have to bring there tomorrow. Now I have no time to enjoy, to meet friends, to go somewhere or anything. Maintaining 75% is not a problem but what we actually do in classes is a problem. we became to sleepy in classes because of the content and the way they teach us. I think the motive of college and students should be same. A better future. We are paying lakhs of fees per year because we want to be successful. We take loans for our studies and we want to be able to pay that loan by our self. we are here to learn things not to get bored. 

• Parth Bhardwaj
    Parth Bhardwaj

#-Link-Snipped-# Thanks sir.....it was a great help.......I have been participating in singing competitions , badminton and basketball matches , technical competitions as well as what all interests me.......now the problem arises.....you said sir that these days are precious and won't be back....and that is a reality , it's amazing to be here......now only concern that lies for me is - Whether to be the king of one or the jack of all ? Focus on everything that interests me or just go for technical aspects that will help me later.......I know it's too early to think about this but I just want to seek some advice  ☺️

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - Yes, I know. No one said it's going to be easy. I'm not sure if my own example would be of any help - but in the initial days of CrazyEngineers; I'd go to job at 8 AM and be back by 7 PM. I'd then have dinner, take a 3Km walk and start working on this site at about 8:30 - 9 PM; and continue working on it till 2 in the night. It was a routine I followed for ~2 years. 

The only point I'm making is that you've to be excited about something. It could be a goal or something that you want to achieve. When your excitement levels about your goal are high every problem looks tiny. I don't know how to explain this better in words; because it's something you've to experience. 

The question you've to answer on your own is "What is it that I want to do?". It could be becoming a master programmer; or absolutely madly loving to build something or create something or learn something. Once you find that every problem will just disappear. It's easier said than done; and I know that. 

If you don't have any such excitement or goal; you'll have to create one for yourself. One way to do that is to set a very difficult goal. For example, you could set a goal to top the University exams. That'd be an awesome goal to pursue. Once you make a mental decision and commit your energies to achieve it; you will automatically find ways. It will automatically make studies interesting and you won't feel sleepy in class. 

The only criteria is that your goal has to excite you madly, badly. 

That's the only thing I could share here. I hope it helps. Give it a try. 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - Don't try to be a jack of all or master of one. You simply need to find your excitement zone (like I said in my previous response). You'll find out that out of all things that you *think* you like; one or two will stand out. You will automatically dedicate more time to them. 

• Vinay Mishra
    Vinay Mishra

#-Link-Snipped-#  Sir absolutely right. I also can wake up late night or even can't sleep when I work on my startup. 

It really helps. thank you.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Ok so I am writing an article about injection molding and I want to get it right.To my knowledge, there are mainly seven types of fillers used in the injection...
Can anyone tell the reasons of thermal battery not reaching its operating time.
I developed a mechanical design for a spherical wheel steering system that could allow cars to make very interesting maneuvers. I showed it to my engineering professor who specialized in...
If there is a topic means I need code for that topic in openGL. Please make it quickly. Thank you. 
As there is a lot of demand for clothing in India people attracts more and more towards it. So I'm thinking that why shouldn't we start online cloth store ???...