How To Make Money From Blogging?

There is lot of curiosity about making money from blogging. Is it really worth investing time and money in blogging? Can it make money? Well, there are too many questions. I'm dedicating this discussion. First of all, let's do a reality check. There are many popular blogs on the Internet that make hundreds of thousands of dollars. If you've heard about Amit Agrawal of digital inspiration - the man makes couple of thousand dollars by blogging about software tips and tricks. If you want to make money from blogging - what should you do? How to go about it?

How do blogs make money?

There are several ways a blog can make money. However, be assured that how many money a blog makes entirely depends on how much traffic the blog gets, what is the topic of the blog and the location of visitors. In order to generate a significant income, you'll need at least a few thousand visitors to your blog every day from all over the world. Is it easy? Certainly no. Is it impossible. Of course no!

The most popular way for blogs to make money is by selling advertisements on their blogs. There are blogs that make money by recommending useful products/services to their readers (affiliate marketing). There are several other methods like getting paid to write on popular blogs or selling products directly through the blog.

Blogging Success

Success is blogging is majorly defined by how regularly you can write and how much original content you can produce. All the popular blogs of the world have anywhere from 10-20, high-quality, original posts every day! They do it for a long period of time to achieve the traffic and build a loyal readership. If you want to build a successful blog - choose a domain where you can generate lot of useful, informative content on a regular basis.

I invite your ideas, thoughts and questions on this topic in this discussion thread.

Replies

• ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    There are many site/ domain which provide free hosting for blogs. what is your selection about that? Is you prefer free hosting or you will buy it? why?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gg_gaurav
    There are many site/ domain which provide free hosting for blogs. what is your selection about that? Is you prefer free hosting or you will buy it? why?
    Free hosting may have their own ups and downs. Check whether you are able to edit the code of your site with this hosting. If yes - no issue in going with them.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    What is the difference between my free wordpress blog and Amitabh Bachchan's blog?
    Post a detailed explanation for the two. Also tell how to convert an existing free blog into our own private blog.... 10 MKS (RTMNU) ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Biggie: Thank you so much for the useful tips. I think I will share something in this space soon. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    @AKD: Perhaps you can solve my above query. How to convert a free blog in to a private one? Do we need to purchase Internet space?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think both your questions aren't related to making money with blogs. Yet since no one has actively asked any other question, I"ll reply to them one by one -
    ishutopre
    What is the difference between my free wordpress blog and Amitabh Bachchan's blog?
    Post a detailed explanation for the two. Also tell how to convert an existing free blog into our own private blog.... 10 MKS (RTMNU) ๐Ÿ˜›
    Your free wordpress blog is technically the same as Amitabh Bachchan's blog. Amitabh Bachchan's blog is hosted on a different platform and it makes no different to the 'blog' itself. It's just the AB is already popular and you're currently on your way to over take him.

ishutopre
    @AKD: Perhaps you can solve my above query. How to convert a free blog in to a private one? Do we need to purchase Internet space?
    Free blog can be converted into your own private one. I'm assuming by 'private' blog, you're referring to a blog that runs on your domain. Otherwise, a private blog is the one which is accessible to only the people you choose.

The basics are the same: Get your domain name registered and then install your favorite blogging software on it. I recommend 'wordpress'. Once the software is installed, simply export your existing content to your new blog and add 301 redirects to your old blog (if its permitted). Wordpress provides very easy way to transfer all your blog content to new server. However how to do it is out of scope of this discussion thread.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Thanks for the answers, I got that domain thing understood.

According to me, the query is related on making money only, although I am not arguing given that you are more experienced than me.

The thing is, we have to make our blog good looking first. I tried to add sections on it like technology, politics etc, but could not find anything. No theme supported Sections. Of course, now I post the content in different categories.

By the way, if I am able to make sections some how, won't it mean that I have created a website indirectly? ๐Ÿ˜

Of course perhaps this will help. for many #-Link-Snipped-#
  • greenprash
    greenprash
    At the end of the day what matters is the traffic we are able to generate and this depends on the quality of the content we post.When more people are reading our posts, we can subscribe to Google Adsense and many such money generating programmes.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    I tried to join Google Adsense but unfortunately i got message about lack of personal details. I tried so many times but this message comes out. Even i post about this in google help forum. but i didn't got any reply.๐Ÿ˜ญ
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Today me and my brother were talking and I asked him the same question. What is the difference between Amitabh Bachchan's blog and my blog?

He replied, his blog is hosted on a website while your's is not.

By the way, my blog gets around 60 visitors per post. very good till now we should say ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Paul.
    Paul.
    Free hosting is good for the beginning, because you don't have so many visitors and you don't use a lot of bandwith. When your blog starts to grow, even if you want or not you have to buy a webhost plan.

Usually, people earn money with blogs, from Adsense. There are also blogs which promote different products and earn commissions for every sale. I suggest you to start with a simple search on google "free blogs"
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    It is a long time that I wrote something for my blog. This time when I opened my account it said " be the master of your own domain by $17 per year".

I think that I can be regular on it. How much feasible is it to invest this amount? What does "Be the master of your own domain" means?
    Can anyone shed any light?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    It is a long time that I wrote something for my blog. This time when I opened my account it said " be the master of your own domain by $17 per year".

I think that I can be regular on it. How much feasible is it to invest this amount? What does "Be the master of your own domain" means?
    Can anyone shed any light?
    Where did you see that announcement/notice? Blogging income would purely be a function of traffic and depends on several factors like domain age, traffic geolocation, number of uniques, pageviews etc. Amit Agrawal of labnol.org makes about $30k/month; if that motivates you. Watch this video for some motivation: -

[video=youtube;yEwD36Dk1jw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yEwD36Dk1jw[/video]
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I saw that announcement as I clicked on the DASHBOARD. I remember you once told us about him and other famous bloggers. Amit Agarwal is really an amazing guy and so is Michael Arrington and other bloggers.

Making money from blogging is surely an exciting concept but I think I can make enough from CrazyEngineers voiCE so as to bring a decent capital for my business in few years.

Kautilya's diary is just my hobby and I was asking about making it a little more attractive destination for readers. I guess we will discuss it in person someday. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i would like to know about wireless electricity charging...low voltage electrical energy transfer which could be used for charging of mobiles and laptops...i heard its based on resonance of coils...
I couldn't find a list of best colleges for MS in Instrumentation Engineering. Here are a few colleges that offer instrumentation courses. Excelsior College Salt Lake Community College San Jacinto...
Google has launched a new sign-in page for Gmail. Lot of users are noticing a small text link at the bottom of regular gmail sign-in page which takes the user...
I have heard these days Mphasis comes for recruitment in college frequently. What is their selection procedure? Here are a few questions from their aptitude test:
UK Prime Minister David Cameron said today following the riots that have plagued London and many other parts of England this week, that โ€œMr Speaker, everyone watching these horrific actions...