How to make .exe file or installable file from any program code...???

I always think about how the setup files are made. As I wrote program in C,C++ and JAVA but I don't know how to make icon such that on double click my program runs.
I make program to work as a calculator, but every time I want to run the program, I have to run the source code....Plz anyone tell me about this topic..!!

Replies

• Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    hey buddy by using c and c++ you can make a .exe file.Java is different then c and c++.You can make jar file using java.
    I don't have any read about (Graphical user interface)GUI in c and c++.But i think we can use any picture to set an icon on that .exe file by doing some programs(It's just my thinking i am not 100%).
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    if you have coded your application using some IDE then use the Publish option to finalize and create an executable out of it. Else you may find many third party applications to make executables out of codes. google them out, there are many free ones available
  • TheV
    TheV
    Thank you...>~!๐Ÿ˜

But please tell me the procedure...!!
    I am using Borland C++.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Thev when you compile c++ source code, you get various files like .bak and etc. Besides these you also get a .exe file..........That is your self executable code. You just have to double click it and your programs runs automatically.
  • Leo
    Leo
    Hey buddy search in documents because when you use any IDE, the IDE itself has an option to create installable archive.
  • TheV
    TheV
    @Deepika.. yes I got the file....!!
    Thank you ๐Ÿ˜
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    TheV
    @Deepika.. yes I got the file....!!
    Thank you ๐Ÿ˜
    My Pleasure...
  • fabrigeas
    fabrigeas
    TheV
    I always think about how the setup files are made. As I wrote program in C,C++ and JAVA but I don't know how to make icon such that on double click my program runs.
    I make program to work as a calculator, but every time I want to run the program, I have to run the source code....Plz anyone tell me about this topic..!!

man I have the same problem with u and have been reading about it.
    pls if u find something can u share with me. thx.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    @fabrigeas : Go through all the above posts.
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    In C++ console the exe file is in the same folder as program source code (as said above by Deepika!)
    And there might be libraries which enable you to specify the icon as well.
    Perhaps you might be able to change the icon using a hex editor, but that is a hack ๐Ÿ˜‰

Source code of EVERY programming language can be eventually packed into an exe. The process differs though.
    Python provides some extra libraries which compile an exe for you.
    For Java, if you google, you'll find a bunch of third party applications which enable you to create an exe.

Anyhow, the most straightforward exe creation is probably in the case of console C/C++ programs ๐Ÿ˜
  • Abhishek Swain
    Abhishek Swain
    TheV
    The best way to deploy your project is to create a setup file using the software InstallShield.
    Download trial version. It takes a few hours to learn using the product. However, after learning, you will be able to create your setup file very easily.๐Ÿ˜€
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Guys, why don't you use NSIS for creating an installer? See the features of it...

NSIS can create Windows installers that are capable of installing, uninstalling, setting system settings, extracting files, etc. Because NSIS is based on script files, you can create both simple and advanced installers.

NSIS is created to be small, fast and efficient. While other installers often add hundreds of kilobytes or several megabytes to your installer data, a full-featured NSIS installer has an overhead of only 34 KB.

You can create a single installer that is compatible with Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Sever 2008 and Windows 7.

You can choose between three different integrated compression methods (ZLib, BZip2, LZMA). The new LZMA compression gives better results than any other common compression method. You don't have to use large self-extracting archive modules or other applications. The compression support is included in the 34 KB overhead.

Unlike other systems that can only generate installers based on a list of files and registry keys, NSIS has a powerful scripting language. This script language is designed for installers and has commands that help you to perform many installation tasks. You can easily add custom logic and handle different upgrades, version checks and more.

For standard installers or as a starting point for more complex ones, you can use one of the available script generation tools.

More features: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    @Abhishek and @Praveen

Guys, although the suggested installer creation programs are really good choices, I think the priority here is to create an EXE in the first place!

If we can't pack source codes into a .exe file, creating an installer is out of question, right?
    (I mean in Windows)
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    eternalthinker
    @Abhishek and @Praveen

Guys, although the suggested installer creation programs are really good choices, I think the priority here is to create an EXE in the first place!

If we can't pack source codes into a .exe file, creating an installer is out of question, right?
    (I mean in Windows)
    In that case, which language are you writing the code? Batch files??? In that case, AutoIT is the best!

AutoIt v3 is a freeware BASIC-like scripting language designed for automating the Windows GUI and general scripting. It uses a combination of simulated keystrokes, mouse movement and window/control manipulation in order to automate tasks in a way not possible or reliable with other languages (e.g. VBScript and SendKeys). AutoIt is also very small, self-contained and will run on all versions of Windows out-of-the-box with no annoying โ€œruntimesโ€ required!

AutoIt was initially designed for PC โ€œroll outโ€ situations to reliably automate and configure thousands of PCs. Over time it has become a powerful language that supports complex expressions, user functions, loops and everything else that veteran scripters would expect.

Features:
    • Easy to learn BASIC-like syntax
    • Simulate keystrokes and mouse movements
    • Manipulate windows and processes
    • Interact with all standard windows controls
    • Scripts can be compiled into standalone executables
    • Create Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs)
    • COM support
    • Regular expressions
    • Directly call external DLL and Windows API functions
    • Scriptable RunAs functions
    • Detailed helpfile and large community-based support forums
    • Compatible with Windows 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista / 2008 / Windows 7 / 2008 R2
    • Unicode and x64 support
    • Digitally signed for peace of mind
    • Works with Windows Vistaโ€™s User Account Control (UAC)
    AutoIt has been designed to be as small as possible and stand-alone with no external .dll files or registry entries required making it safe to use on Servers. Scripts can be compiled into stand-alone executables with Aut2Exe.

Also supplied is a combined COM and DLL version of AutoIt called AutoItX that allows you to add the unique features of AutoIt to your own favourite scripting or programming languages!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Now a days I am using Rockmelt Browser and it seems to be good. It is made on Chromium platform, so its as fast as Google chrome(my favorite....๐Ÿ˜€). The best...
Dear friends, Normally, it is not that easy to calculate the turbine performance and efficiency based on the operational / process data. However, detailed calculations from different references and books...
Hi friends today our CEan Manish Birthday Happy Birthday "Manish" May all your wishes come true and have a happy and successful life forever๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜› ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰:myparty: Tell me how you are...
HEY GUYS m persuing ma be in electronics and instrumentation. m looking forward to do ma industrial training somewhere outside d india do suggest me some places where i cn...
Hi friends there is another CEan who is celebrating birthday today. Many more happy returns of the day "Mohit". Wish you a happy and prosperous life forever. ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰:myparty: How you...