How to make an air-conditioner for really hotdays!

Appears trivial. However, good bit (Crazy of course) of chemical engineering here:

Replies

• Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Awesome! 😀

#-Link-Snipped-# - Sir, do you have any way to slow down the melting of ice? I guess, the caging itself slows down the process, but any extra medium that we can combine with? Thanks in advance.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Koushal Patel
    any way to slow down the melting of ice?
    If there is no air flow the thermocole box will slow down the ice melting. If the fan runs there is no escape from the mCp(delT) (airside) from melting an equivalent quantity of ice. Slowing the fan will slow it at the cost of reduced cooling.
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Sir I was asking about any material which can be mixed with ice to slow down its melting. Is it possible?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Koushal Patel
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Sir I was asking about any material which can be mixed with ice to slow down its melting. Is it possible?
    The basic problem is that if any heat is added to ice it will melt consistent with its latent heat. In this case the fan is blowing outside warm air into the chamber. The higher temperature of the air melts the ice.
    Unfortunately, any addition to the water will depress the melting point leading to faster melting.
    This article will help to understand this:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Another:
    PDF
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Koushal Patel
    I have heard of salt OR pepper being added to salt to make it melt slower.
    Not sure if it's true. Here's a link:
    General Chemistry Online: FAQ: Solutions: Why can adding salt to ice water make the ice melt slower?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Ankita Katdare
    to make it melt slower.
    Not really. What is said in the reference is the same mentioned in my post. Adding salt lowers the melting point, does not affect the amount melted.
  • sudharsansrinivas
    sudharsansrinivas
    AS AKNITHA SAID IS CORRECT ADDING SALT TO ICE IT LOWER THE MELTING POINT I HAD DONE IT practically 😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    sudharsansrinivas
    AS AKNITHA SAID IS CORRECT ADDING SALT TO ICE IT LOWER THE MELTING POINT I HAD DONE IT practically 😀
    The total cooling capacity is still invariant. The latent heat does not change.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Every one , If any body have the project idea related to parallel algorithm domain so plzz share with me . I am mtech final year student and want...
How can I connect with mechanical engineers? Please do help me!
When a company ships containers of things like peanuts, cheerios, nuts & bolts, or any collection of "particles" of different sizes and, possibly, shapes, the container will appear less full...
LG’s G Pad 8.0 tablet along with two other LG tablets were actually unveiled in Europe way back in May 2014. LG had begun the sale of the tablets in...
Vijay Govindarajan delivers a thought provoking talk on 'Reverse Innovation,' a term he co-defined referring to innovation emerging from developing nations. If a product costs $100 in US, it should...