How to make a basic steering system

Hi,..
I am in 2nd yr mechanical engineer. I am trying to make a steering system. I dont understand how the part that connects the wheel remains stationary and deviates it, without it being rotated along the wheel..
Any object connected with the wheel should also rotate along with it right? Please help me on how the wheel is moved by the rod? any help is appreciable....

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Are you referring to the steering wheel or wheel with tires? I think you are interested in the hub which allows a rotational mass to travel on a fixed point.
  • senoj90
    senoj90
    I wanted to know, how the rotational input from steering wheel is transferred to the tires. Something has to push the tires while it is rotating in order to turn it right? My question is how does the rod that pushes the tires, remains stationary(without rotating) even though the tires which is connected with the rod rotates. What mechanism or what device keeps the tires rotating while to rod that pushes the tires remains stationary?
  • vikas.v
    vikas.v
    i am working on sae baja i need to know which mechanism of steering is feasible for all terrain vehicle
  • sumitkujha
    sumitkujha
    hey its all depend on the hub,axle,& the shaft.................
  • sumitkujha
    sumitkujha
    do u ever make its promo type........
  • vikas.v
    vikas.v
    Re i need to know whether we can use power steering in all terrain vehicle

hey i need to know whether we can use power steering in sae baja vehicle
  • gohm
    gohm
    Yes you can use power steering. However many times in recreational or racing applications manual steering forms are preferred to maximize power to the wheels and decrease weight.
  • nick_cardoza
    nick_cardoza
    what class vehicle are you building for baja? and you may want to look into manual steering with a steering quicken-er. ran one on my old score race truck and it was an amazing investment. ill look now to see if i have pictures from the front to show you a diagram of the steering linkages.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Sputnik tool, built by Google to test the JavaScript engine performance of various popular web browsers has some interesting results. See: Sputnik Opera & Safari beat Google's own Chrome...
I can't understand the lax security that let news of this weapon leak to the press: Ananova - New chilli grenade packs a punch
can u post me some mini projects ideas with circuit diagram to do 4 me
Is it possible to get multipled output (i.e. 8 kV) from 1 kv using Resistors ,capacitors and diode..HOW TO GET ONLY NEGATIVE PEAK VOLTAGE??...wkt we can use voltage multipliers but...
I am doing a project on Evaluation of Harmonics and power Quality Improvemant. In that i need to simulate 15KVA UPS model feeding 7 computers. Can i simulate this using...