How to link two computers together via GPRS

Hi
I am trying to set up my computer as a server so that i can access it from my phone. The type of connection i want to use is GPRS (since it is cheap).
The problem is that i need to know the IP address assigned to my computer by the GSM operator for direct communication to work. After doing some research i am told that this is impossible because the IP address is hidden furthemore i tend to think it is dynamic and need it to be static.

Also they are advising me to use a proxy, any idea of how this would work will be appreciated.
NB
i need to host a website over this connection.

Also any other suggestions would be appreciated

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Your ip address is not hidden, there are many websites which let you know your ip..google for them..whatismyipaddress is one such site..

To make your computer a server and access it from your phone, you'll need to get a static ip from your isp..this is just like regular mail, if your address keeps changing (dynamic ip) people will not able to communicate with you?? on the other hand if your address is the permanent (static ip) people will be able to communicate with you.

Question: Maybe I misunderstood but, are you using gprs to connect your computer to the internet??
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    Yes i am using GPRS to connect my computer(server) to the internet then use another computer/phone(client) to access the first computer(server) all through the GPRS.
    The problem is my isp is the phone operator(GSM) since i intend to use a modem with a sim card inside it.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    People have posted problems similar to yours in the two forums below, and both have got unconvincing answers. The closest I think they got to a solution, is using the MAC address. Although how that will be used to access the computer from the internet, is a mystery to me..maybe some comp/it engineer on the forum can help you..

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You can try using a proxy server. Route the traffic on your computer through a proxy. Get a static ip for the proxy, and you should be good to go.
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    Thank you.
    Could you post a detailed explanation of how i could route traffic through a proxy bearing in mind that i am trying to host a website. i don't know how to use a proxy server, i don't know what it is either. I need to use this for a project.
  • debu
    debu
    @Mungti: If you are connecting two PCs and if both the PC's are connected over the internet. Use a VPN, like #-Link-Snipped-# . I use hamachi to connect to my office network from home. Both the PC's will act as if they are on the same network. Best of all hamachi is free.

Now, If you are connecting with your phone, see if you can find a VPN client for your phone.

Regards,

Debu 😀
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    @debu
    Thanx very much. i have been reading on VPN and it seems to have the potential i want.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi, I want to read from and write in an EDID memory of a display monitor. In fact, the EDID is used to describe the sink capabilities (sink supported resolutions,...
I want to make a simulation game.Have a decent idea of graphics and programming.But dunno how to really go forward with this.
hey everyone!!! My group has selected 'NOISE REDUCTION IN IMAGES USING FUZZY LOGIC' as our BE project but we do not know much about it.It is based on some implementation...
Education can produce many comical situations. I can't resist asking the question of why there are so many threads that go along the lines of: 😔 I'm doing a senior...
Whats the difference between CNC and NC machine and do u people know any institute which teaches CNC programming