How can I learn Linux...
I have Knoppix live cd...

Replies

• ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Better start learning commands,
  • callyD
    callyD
    As Knoppix is a LiveCD it is not installed on your computer and does not save any settings or programs you have installed. You may wish to install another Linux version, Ubuntu. Books might help. But the best way to learn Linux is to grab a distro install it and start off. The internet is full of helping communities and learning groups. Good luck!! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Guys, if you could hold on your curiosity for few days, we've got someone who teaches how to build linux from scratch in our Small Talk ๐Ÿ˜‰ .
  • skipper
    skipper
    "Learning linux" means a) learning about monolithic kernels; b) learning about filesystems, journaling, etc; c) learning about command syntax; d) learning what syslog and dmesg are; e) learning about how devices attach to the filesytem and the kernel; f) how to swear politely...
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    Guys, if you could hold on your curiosity for few days, we've got someone who teaches how to build linux from scratch in our Small Talk ๐Ÿ˜‰ .

Any Clues !!! Any Clues !!! Any Clues !!! Any Clues !!!

Who is that mastermind... desperate to ask a few questions...

-CB
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    The_Big_K
    couldnot hold on our curiosity ๐Ÿ˜›. Who is that?
  • prasath_amd
    prasath_amd
    sarveshgupta
    How can I learn Linux...
    I have Knoppix live cd...
    Install a distro in your computer (Ubuntu or fedora...) and as 'ms_cs' said start learning commands, I've heard that a true linux geek doesn't need gui at all!!. And as a start, learn to perform simple administrative tasks. ( installing programs, configuring network etc... ) There are many good linux books out there but online help cannot be beaten!.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    The best way to learn Linux is to get your hands dirty..free a couple of GBs on your hdd (or add an old hard disk), and try a distro. Join an online community (e.g. ubuntuforums)..get your doubts cleared. But the most important aspect of learning Linux, is not being afraid of experimenting. Don't think, I might harm my system if I do this. You might or you might not. The point is you'll never be comfortable with Linux unless you get "down with it", so to speak.
  • prasath_amd
    prasath_amd
    mad_scientist
    The best way to learn Linux is to get your hands dirty..free a couple of GBs on your hdd (or add an old hard disk), and try a distro. Join an online community (e.g. ubuntuforums)..get your doubts cleared. But the most important aspect of learning Linux, is not being afraid of experimenting. Don't think, I might harm my system if I do this. You might or you might not. The point is you'll never be comfortable with Linux unless you get "down with it", so to speak.
    yes, just like learning math or programming.๐Ÿ˜
  • skipper
    skipper
    I recommend the following literature (if you can find it): AT&T Unix User's Guide, Programmer's Manual, and Commands (1979).

It has a nice simple explanation, by the authors of Unix (Ritchie, Kernighan, et al) of the fundamentals, including a description of the filesystem, the Bourne shell, and the lex and yacc compilers (so you can write your own). It more or less explains why some programmers wrote a new more useable OS for the PDP minis. Linux is a PC-clone, reverse-engineered by Torvalds and based entirely on the design (if not the implementation) of Unix. There are some major differences (with exceptions, and with device handling, for instance, and some other modernizations), but Linux is Unix in PC clothing.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    well most of the guys have said it already...but coming down on few more important things..frankly speakin goin out theoretically as many are suggestin by learnin commands and stuffs wud be really borin unless ur a staunch programmer..

if ur new to Linux...n if u wanna truly handle linux then go for proper os distros[linux term in short for distributions as these are distributed for free] like ubuntu or fedora..these will be the best...other smaller distros cmin with live cds like puppy linux etc are basically just for tryin out...

one important thing is tat ull need an internet connection to use linux as most of the softwares need some packages to be installed n tat u can easily do them thru the net.
    tho u can also go for pc mags provided cds like chip,digit etc which have loads of linux freewares.but an internet connection is still recommended.

n tats it...
    a ubuntu or fedora...+ internet connection if possible..

play around...these are gui based so u wont hav problem learnin..once uve mastered these basics u can go to cmd based linux ๐Ÿ˜€

u learn linux best when u do it practically !!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello frnds, i wanna make a project using VB.NET n i want to make something different not such projects like hospital management, client management,n all these managements plz suggest me...
Words to use in Emergencies: Can you help me please? : Tasukete kudasai I'm lost : Michi ni Mayoimashita I'm ill : Byouki desu Call an ambulance/police : Kyukyushya/ Keisatsu...
hi friends, We know that there are several challenges faced by IT today. In this thread post the challenges that IT is facing today and that would face in future.
hello everyone.... we're starting to have our thesis topic now... and we are thinking what will our topic be... can you please help me? i'm thinking about a design about...
i am in final year . i need to do the project. can some body give me a nice web-site links which can be help full. or some nice project...