How to install windows 8 Bootloader?

I had a triple boot system with windows 8, windows 7 and ubuntu using the windows 8 bootloader, but due certain glitches; i had to reinstall ubuntu and now the grub presides over the windows 8 bootloader. Can anyone help with making windows 8 bootloader the primary loader when the system boots and giving the options to choose from the three OS'.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    You haven't provided precise information of your hard-disk partition which is making hard to understand.

In terminal type sudo parted /dev/sda print | grep -i efi
    Note the first line of it somewhere.
    Also post it here.

Now create a file called 30_windows in /etc/grub.d
    Open it with gedit & paste code :

#!/bin/bash
    cat << EOF
    menuentry "Windows 8" {
    insmod part_gpt
    insmod chain
    setroot '(hd0,gpt1)'
    chainloader /EFI/microsoft/BOOT/bootmgfw.efi
    }
    EOF

if your OS is in 2nd or third drive then replace by hd1 & hd2 resp.
    save the file.

Open terminal & type :
    sudo update-grub

Reboot !

PS : You need Kernel 3.3.0 for BootEFI to support,If you're using Ubuntu 12.04 then you gotta update kernel as it is 3.2.0 generic.

Enjoy.
  • Ashish Ahuja
    Ashish Ahuja
    The 1 TB hard disk is divided in three sections. 200gb each for windows 8 and Ubuntu and rest of it for windows 7 and other recovery and OEM partitions. And now its causing another problem in Ubuntu. Its stuck at the boot screen and the log in screen doesn't appear. I tried opening it in command line using tty1 console and typed "startx" but even that doesn't seem to be working with a time out error.
    PS: Thanks for helping anyways but unable to fix this stuff.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    This problem always occurs when you dual boot with "automatic installation" of ubuntu,Thus I always suggest manual installation.

Have you created partitions of /boot,/root,/usr,/usr/local,/tmp,/root & so on manually ?
    If yes then you can fix the issue easily by re-installing ubuntu but if not then you'll lose all the installed data.

PS : Tell the process you did while installing OS.I mean first you installed 7 then Linux & then 8 ? or by anyother way ? Do mention in detail.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

My self komal kumar sahu ,i am the student of Bachelor of computer Application (B.C.A) from Rungta Group of colleges ,kohka,Bhilai,Distt-Durg(C.G). by Punjab Technical University,jalandhar.As.i m doing my B.C.A course...
Wipro is one of the leading IT & software services company in India. Lot of engineers looking to apply for job might want to have a look at the most...
Hello All, I am Crash, a new member here, I hope to share my knowledge here with you , and get your help we I need lol. It is a...
I need your help if any one cane help me through the Use Cases and Actors. I have to get 20 Use Cases , for the topic : Management Flight...
Greetings everyone I have worked on 8051(atmel), processor. in those processors we need to dump codes using a dumper. The question is how do we need to dump the code...