How to install cygwin on windows?

Can anybody tell how to install cygwin on windows xp?

Please tell what are the steps involved?

I have downloaded the setup.exe from the cygwin.com but now for the installation purposes it asks sites

I have entered a mirror of india and new york but now response as it is unable to set up the connection.

Replies

• sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Can anyone help in installing cygwin on win xp?
  • sookie
    sookie
    Hi sarveshgupta,

Did you check following two links ?

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    If you download cygwin files using the cygwin 372kb setup, it will take huge amount of time & may result in total waste of time.
    Instead download all files from this link
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    & then unzip it & run setup.exe .
    Its a cake walk.
    This zip file is about 70mb, but cygwin don't run properly on vista or 7, so use it in xp.
    For uninstalling, it can't be uninstalled from control panel, so you have to delete its content from program files & registry, later requires much care.
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Then also tell me about the uninstall procedure in a little more detail
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    for uninstalling open registry, go to edit > find, search word "cygwin" & as the word shows up press delete key, then press f3 for find next appearance for the word. Repeat till no cygwin word is found. Be careful, do not to delete any other entry by mistake.
    also delete all cygwin files made on your system, including shortcuts etc.
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Thanks vik

to open the registry does we have to start|run|regedit is it correct?
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    yeah, you can also open it from cmd, by entering regedit or directly from system32 folder in c:/windows

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Has anyone noticed that popular gadget blog - Engadget is now displaying a message "What's next is coming now. Stay close." on all of its pages. Any clue what's coming?
How digital gas flowmeter works and how it can be fabricated?
ya it will be great if they both get active on this forum...and share their exp. with gaming...
IF MAD-DO=DID and 1,0,4,3,8 are the values u have to assign to these so that the answer comes out to be DID. Than what is the value of M,A,D,O,I???
Got this through email - 2[FONT="] 3[FONT="] [/FONT] 4[FONT="] [/FONT] 15[FONT="] [/FONT] 12[FONT="] [/FONT] 3[FONT="] [/FONT] 4[FONT="] [/FONT] 5[FONT="] [/FONT] 28[FONT="] [/FONT] 20[FONT="] [/FONT] 4[FONT="] [/FONT] 5[FONT="] [/FONT] 6[FONT="] [/FONT]...