How to install Chrome OS?

CEans,

If you are looking for a guide on how to install Google chrome OS, don't look further. Simply because you cannot install Google Chrome OS on just any computer. You need special hardware for Google Chrome OS, which you will have to buy.

Alright?

Update: The OS can be installed using VirtualBox: Downloads – Oracle VM VirtualBox

Look #-Link-Snipped-# for step by step instructions -

Replies

• Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    i read somewhere on the net that

"Chrome OS is not related to Google. Service provided by SUSE Studio. See the license." in other words: this is just a self made Linux distro with installed Chrome Browser.

see SUSE-STUDIO water mark in image
    #-Link-Snipped-#

check out this blog
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • madmosche
    madmosche
    Where are you getting that information? Google says you can, you just have to compile your own image from the source code. Google even gives you instructions for building the image and burning it to CD or transferring to USB flash drive to install the OS. Here's the link: #-Link-Snipped-#

Just fact-checking 😀
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Ya....I have also read that this is not going to be a full flashed os it's just a web based service.Picture may be clear when it will launched.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    madmosche
    Where are you getting that information? Google says you can, you just have to compile your own image from the source code. Google even gives you instructions for building the image and burning it to CD or transferring to USB flash drive to install the OS. Here's the link: #-Link-Snipped-#

Just fact-checking 😀
    Well, I got the information from the live coverage of the Chrome Launch. Anyone tried installing it?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Chrome os will not be available as a download to run and install. Instead, Chrome os is only shipping on specific hardware from manufacturers Google has partnered with. That means if you want Chrome OS, you’ll have to purchase a Chrome OS device.So we have to wait for the launch of the supported devices.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Taken from TechCrunch:

First, you need to get an image of Chrome OS. You can do that using #-Link-Snipped-#. You can also try out the build that #-Link-Snipped-# has uploaded, which worked fine in our test as well.

Once that’s done, download a version of VirtualBox for whatever OS you’re running on Downloads – Oracle VM VirtualBox and install it. After registering (or declining to) you’ll be met with a screen like this. Click the button that says “New” in the upper left hand corner. We’re going to be making a new virtual machine.:

[​IMG]
    You’ll enter a wizard like this. Hit next.

[​IMG]
    Go ahead and title the OS whatever you’d like. For the operating system, choose Linux, with Ubuntu as the version (other setups could potentially work, but this is the only one we’ve gotten working).

[​IMG]
    Choose how much memory to allocate to this virtual machine. This will be dependent on how much memory you have in your computer. The more, the better, but if you choose too much your real computer will become unstable/very slow.

[​IMG]
    Here’s the tricky part (fortunately it isn’t very tricky). You don’t want to create a new hard disk, instead, you want to use an existing hard disk. Don’t choose one from the drop down menu either — you’re going to want to hit the folder icon just to the right of that to enter the ‘virtual media manager’.

[​IMG]
    Hit the ‘Add’ button.

[​IMG]
    Now you have to find the Chrome OS image you downloaded earlier. This is probably on your desktop or in your downloads folder. Once you’ve found it, hit ‘Open’.

[​IMG]
    Hit ‘Select’ once you reach this window.

[​IMG]
    Almost there. Make sure ‘use existing hard disk’ is checked. Hit next.

[​IMG]
    Hit ‘Finish’

[​IMG]
    You’re done! Hit Start. Hopefully the screen will go black, but only for a little while (this could be anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute or so, depending on how fast your computer is).

[​IMG]
    Once you’re in, you’ll see a splash screen for ‘Chromium’ (which is what Google calls dev builds of Chrome). To login, you’ll need to enter a valid Google Account ID. Your standard Gmail account should work, but as we said before, this build of ChromeOS came from bittorrent, so you may want to use a throw away account like we did in the screenshots below (you can make one #-Link-Snipped-#).
  • madmosche
    madmosche
    Sorry, nicepeeyush, that info is incorrect. As the_big_k posted, it is pretty simple to run the OS on your current PC. Somebody has already compiled an image from the source code, which you can do yourself if you want. Technically you can install the Chrome OS to your computer now, but TechCrunch is recommending running it virtually because it is a very early Beta and still in development. I'm trying it on VirtualBox now and it's awesome.

I think this is going to rock on netbooks and especially for basic users that don't need the complication of Windows which causes lots of problems for people who only do web surfing, email, and other basic tasks.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    madmosche
    Sorry, nicepeeyush, that info is incorrect. As the_big_k posted, it is pretty simple to run the OS on your current PC. Somebody has already compiled an image from the source code, which you can do yourself if you want. Technically you can install the Chrome OS to your computer now, but TechCrunch is recommending running it virtually because it is a very early Beta and still in development. I'm trying it on VirtualBox now and it's awesome.

I think this is going to rock on netbooks and especially for basic users that don't need the complication of Windows which causes lots of problems for people who only do web surfing, email, and other basic tasks.
    Thanks for correcting me,actually i read it somewhere on the net.I am also trying to install it.
  • madmosche
    madmosche
    For now it's just a browser. Nothing really special to see, but it works. When you click on the round "start" button in the top left, it asks for an "@google.com" login, which I think is just for Google employees, so you can't use the other features. You can open new windows but cannot navigate between them (lol). If anyone finds any solutions to these lemme know.
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Great the OS offering from google has started attracting eyeballs in the very early stages of its birth.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google Chrome has just launched and I'm wondering the approach they have [keeping all the data in cloud] is smart or not? One can easily argue that it makes the...
The much awaited Nokia N900 is now available to users in the US. With the launch of N900, Nokia brings a powerful computer running on the dynamic, Linux-based Maemo platform....
Phone Remote Control 5.2 with WiFi support (free to try) Turn your Bluetooth or WiFi enabled mobile phone into a generic PC Remote Control! - Control iTunes, PowerPoint, Mouse, WinAMP,...
hi...everyone.. laughing makes a man healthy ...and it is a free medicine so you should always keeping smiling ... check this link and smile... [youtube]77bxPtMsgFs[/youtube]tags YouTube - Gabbar
You can connect to your own work computer from home, let’s look at ways to connect with other people at other computers. NetMeeting is an old standby for communicating over...