how to find pressure inside cylinder

Two cylinders are press fitted together to form a composite closed cylinder .The outter cylinder is made of steel E=200Gpa,poissions ratio=0.29 and yeild strength 1990mpa and inner cylinder is brittle material with E=200Gpa poissions ratio=0.3,ultimate strength=3100mpa.The inner and outter radii of inner cylinder is 10mm and 20mm and outter and inner radii of outter cylinder is 20mm and 95 mm.Determine the pressure inside the cylinder, prove that design is safe considering factor of safety

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The problem lies to combine both cylinders. Can we consider a equivalent cylinder which can replace both of them? It would simplify the matter. What say?

By the way read this. It is pretty useful. The formulas are actually universal.

Intro To Pressure Vessel | PDF | Construction | Welding

If you still have a problem then we can discuss the problem 😀
  • gsk_ssit
    gsk_ssit
    no pressure vessel design wont solve my problem here i need to take this as a thick walled compound cylinder
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    gsk_ssit
    no pressure vessel design wont solve my problem here i need to take this as a thick walled compound cylinder
    Something does not gel. If the OD of the inner cylinder = 20 mm and the ID of the outer cylinder is also = 20 mm, there can be no press fit. There will be no press fit induced stress in either cylinder. The ID of the outer cylinder must be smaller than the OD of the inner one for press fitting The percentage interference and the mechanical properties of the two materials will then dictate the hoop stresses.

Bioramani
  • gsk_ssit
    gsk_ssit
    This reply shows that you dint get my question please go thru once
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    gsk_ssit
    This reply shows that you dint get my question please go thru once
    Press fitting is a process in which a larger dia cylinder is 'pressed' into a smaller dia cylinder. In the data given the two diameters are equal at 20 mm. Theoretically there will be no pressure.

Bioramani

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Crazy Engineers,this is Manu from Bangalore. My passion is automobiles[Motorcycles] and am actively involved in most of the biking forums.Found CE when i was goggling. Name: Manu bhat Engineering...
[video=youtube;JOumVHrHDEM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOumVHrHDEM&feature=player_embedded[/video] It's pretty simple. Open that web file into Google Docs Viewer and then hit Ctrl + P to print it as a PDF. 😀
I just read it on a blog and I think this is a good debate topic.😒 CEans, do you believe that modern technology destroyed the soul of humanity?? why or...
Technitium MAC Address Changer File Size: 1293 Technitium MAC Address Changer allows you to change Media Access Control (MAC) Address of your Network Interface Card (NIC) irrespective to your NIC...
When it comes to buying a Mac, we have a lot of options: MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro, iMac etc.. Please give the engineers' opinions with valid reasons.