how to discard sent mail ?

Is there any alternate to discard sent mail in gmail ? ๐Ÿ˜”

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i think there is no way to discard because it is already sent
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Hey, try using the GMail Labs feature, Undo Send... Until 30 seconds (max), you can retrieve back your sent message! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    well i got a way to undo send in gmail for 5 sec, by enabling the undo send application in gmail labs.
    but i just want to discard the mail which i had sent about 3 hours ago !!
    imnitsy
    well i got a way to undo send in gmail for 5 sec, by enabling the undo send application in gmail labs.
    but i just want to discard the mail which i had sent about 3 hours ago !!
    Once a mail is dispatched, you cannot revert it back! Why are you so serious in it? What did you send to whom?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There's no way you can discard a sent mail. I don't exactly remember the name of application that asks user to perform a simple mathematical calculation before the mail is actually sent. Your best bet is to enable that app in Gmail and then make sure you don't repeat the mistake next time.
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    i attached a wrong file with mail !!
    actually my resume to the mail sent to dad !!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    imnitsy
    i attached a wrong file with mail !!
    actually my resume to the mail sent to dad !!
    No actual issue there. Just search for that Gmail labs app.
    Take it! #-Link-Snipped-#
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    praveenscience
    Take it! #-Link-Snipped-#
    Well i can hold the mail only for 5 sec !
    but can i increase this limit for a minute ??
    imnitsy
    Well i can hold the mail only for 5 sec !
    but can i increase this limit for a minute ??
    You can increase it to a maximum of 30 seconds... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    But can't we design something by which we can discard sent mail if the other person hasn't yet opened and read it?
    ishutopre
    But can't we design something by which we can discard sent mail if the other person hasn't yet opened and read it?
    I am thinking of something like that. But you see, in forums like vBullettin, they have included it!!! ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Nice idea. I too would be very happy to have some feature like this. I had conducted some blunder past few months. Wish I had something like this then.๐Ÿ˜”

But friends don't you think that people will become more careless having such feature. Moreover, we may have people who can mis-use this feature.
  • Reya
    Reya
    Whats there to misuse in this feature??

It will be useful for the people who sent the mail to others accidently!
    Deepika Bansal
    Nice idea. I too would be very happy to have some feature like this. I had conducted some blunder past few months. Wish I had something like this then.๐Ÿ˜”

But friends don't you think that people will become more careless having such feature. Moreover, we may have people who can mis-use this feature.
    One problem is, it cannot be used in Cross-SMTP Servers! The stuff is like pushing... There's no pulling of mails!!! ๐Ÿ˜” Pathetic... But true... ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    praveenscience
    One problem is, it cannot be used in Cross-SMTP Servers! The stuff is like pushing... There's no pulling of mails!!! ๐Ÿ˜” Pathetic... But true... ๐Ÿ˜›
    There can be the concept of sending some command that will check if the mail has been read or not and will accordingly generate another command to delete it and acknowledge back to the sender of the mail about the action taken.
    Deepika Bansal
    There can be the concept of sending some command that will check if the mail has been read or not and will accordingly generate another command to delete it and acknowledge back to the sender of the mail about the action taken.
    See, am speaking about SMTP Mail...

The sender is Server A.
    The receiver is Server B.

A can send to B.
    After sending it, how can A have the access to B?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Can we make a mechanism like:
    A sends the mail.
    B has not opened it.The mail remains in a central repository.
    Until B opens it,A can request that repository not to forward that mail to B.

How is that?
    I am talking about a central repository.
    A--->C.R--->B

๐Ÿ˜€
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    @ishu: i think there creates a problem
    if any problem occurs in c.r total mail goes wrong and there is another problem too its privacy
    if anyone decoded that he can know all the mails going on and he can control them by that
    ishutopre
    Can we make a mechanism like:
    A sends the mail.
    B has not opened it.The mail remains in a central repository.
    Until B opens it,A can request that repository not to forward that mail to B.

How is that?
    I am talking about a central repository.
    A--->C.R--->B

๐Ÿ˜€
    Wow!!! Yeah, I guess we can have a flag and pull back... But do we need to invest another server for this??? and What about the current SMTP specs, do they allow it? May be we can submit this for a review... ๐Ÿ˜€
    narayana murthy
    @ishu: i think there creates a problem
    if any problem occurs in c.r total mail goes wrong and there is another problem too its privacy
    if anyone decoded that he can know all the mails going on and he can control them by that
    Any wayz all the mail files will be stored in CR only na???
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I am generally asking, not regarding the above CR.
    If A sends a mail to B, where exactly that mail stores? In B's mailbox? No I guess!
    sahithi pallavi
    I am generally asking, not regarding the above CR.
    If A sends a mail to B, where exactly that mail stores? In B's mailbox? No I guess!
    It depends on the server... First of all, it will actually get stored in B's mailbox's MX Server only... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    @Sahithi: See let me give you an example. I send a mail to Praveen. OK? It will function normally. (Praveen has not yet opened his mail box)

Mean while I am doubtful if the info I sent him is right or wrong, I check my sent mail, and I discover that I sent him wrong info (Praveen has not checked his mail)

So I decide to pull back. After I pull back that mail, there would be no trace or record of my mail in Praveen's email account.

Howzzat?

P.S: Besides, I can see the awakening of an engineers inside Sahithi. Already working on project, awesome. Waiting for next E=MC2 discovery. ๐Ÿ‘
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    ishutopre
    @Sahithi: See let me give you an example. I send a mail to Praveen. OK? It will function normally. (Praveen has not yet opened his mail box)

Mean while I am doubtful if the info I sent him is right or wrong, I check my sent mail, and I discover that I sent him wrong info (Praveen has not checked his mail)

So I decide to pull back. After I pull back that mail, there would be no trace or record of my mail in Praveen's email account.

Howzzat?
    Yeah, the idea was Superb! Just thinking about the CR and then why google haven't featured this for its gmail?

ishutopre
    P.S: Besides, I can see the awakening of an engineers inside Sahithi. Already working on project, awesome. Waiting for next E=MC2 discovery. ๐Ÿ‘
    ha ha.... Firstly, thanks to you for raising this concept, Its really interesting! So, Just learning the concept! And Yeah, Why not, We are the Crazy Engineers, lets discover something impressive!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    sahithi pallavi
    ha ha.... Firstly, thanks to you for raising this concept, Its really interesting! So, Just learning the concept! And Yeah, Why not, We are the Crazy Engineers, lets discover something impressive!
    You said it. Google left that task for some craziest engineers. Relish...๐Ÿ˜

P.S: I read this some where, "What the receiver doesn't know, does not affect him. "
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    ha ha, Jokes apart ๐Ÿ˜€ I think google guys are not such fellows to leave the Possibilities or Opportunities! I am really asking, Why google haven't featured this? I mean is it possible? If yes, are there any difficulties that we need to overcome?
    See... you need to know that the mails are handled by a special server, which is called Mail Exchanger Server...

It is also similar to a web server, but, it works on a different port and in a different logic. What happens is, it stores all the mails in its particular server... for eg. @crazyengineers.net mails will be stored in google's server only... Coz, crazyengineers.net's MX records point to Google's Server.

So, it works this way... Once a mail you send from your server. For Eg., #-Link-Snipped-#. I send a mail to #-Link-Snipped-#. Now what happens is, the server at #-Link-Snipped-# sees that you have addressed the mail to #-Link-Snipped-#.

It explores the mail of #-Link-Snipped-#. The username is praveen and the mail server is gmail.com. Now, from the gmail.com's DNS Records, one of which is MX Records (Mail Exchanger) and it points to an IP Address, say 1.1.1.1. The original yahoo.com mail server has one IP address and that computer, will point to the 2.2.2.2 as yahoo.com's IP address. Now, the computer at 2.2.2.2 will communicate with the computer on 1.1.1.1 and sends it a plain text file (if you wanna see how it looks, please click on Show original message in GMail) to the 2.2.2.2 machine using port 25 out and port 110.

Now, the text file, which was sent by #-Link-Snipped-# resides in #-Link-Snipped-#'s mail server at 1.1.1.1. Hope this explains all...

Summary:
    It is not possible to fetch the mail if it is already sent... But sometimes, you would have seen in Outlook Express and Lotus Notes, that you can callback the mails. It is possible because, the sender and receiver are under same control... This idea is already implemented to prevent accident messages sent...
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Well great work Praveen,
    But I see outlook hardly used by people like me. So here we have a plus point to make it compatible with normal gmail accounts with a little changes in algorithms.

Now a logic which I think to be correct regarding Sahithi's question. -> Why google does not implement this idea?

Google is a very big thing. millions of people send billions of mails. A normal human tendency has it that it will exploit features at the fullest. Now suppose out of every 3 mails, people on an average will call back mail. It increases load by a third.

Now my concept says, the server/CR needs to erase all data and records related to that sent mail (as though nothing happened at all). This would further create problems.

Perhaps the problems can be solved by technology up gradation, how ever they may not be that much economical. They may be not very good as far as commerce aspect is considered.

Truly speaking, there may also be other reasons, and I may be completely wrong. This one is just a possibility. Let us think of other technologies.

Now regarding the competition, you merely need to convince people that the thing which is possible in outlook can be made compatible with google.

@Praveen: You said that the feature is already available with Vbulletin? we are talking about email ids. What about sites? Please elaborate. Is the answer in your mail above?
    I said this is possible with Microsoft Outlook Web Access and IBM Lotus Notes... It cannot apply for vBulletin and all. Oki... Lemme say this... These servers use their own server technology to have their mails stored in their server itself. Even in this case, if you send a mail from #-Link-Snipped-# (praveen.com has own mail servers, for instance) to #-Link-Snipped-#, it cannot be retrieved back... Dude, it acts just like a Post Office. That is why, it is called as Post Office Protocol...

Hope this clears you! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    OK Sahithi, it seems what Praveen is saying is correct. Please go through this Howstuffworks. #-Link-Snipped-#

I think it is the same as Praveen told. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Now our main problem is about server going down with increasing load. If you will remember a few days ago, no one could log in to their google accounts.

There was the same case about 2 years ago. #-Link-Snipped-#

Now compare this server down information with discarding mail logic. See if you can reach to any conclusion. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Nice explanation Praveen! Got something to my brain! :0

ishutopre
    OK Sahithi, it seems what Praveen is saying is correct. Please go through this Howstuffworks. #-Link-Snipped-#

I think it is the same as Praveen told. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Now our main problem is about server going down with increasing load. If you will remember a few days ago, no one could log in to their google accounts.
    There was the same case about 2 years ago. #-Link-Snipped-#
    Now compare this server down information with discarding mail logic. See if you can reach to any conclusion. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Thanks for the link and I have seen that! How can we compare that server down problems with discarding mail logic? Sorry for my ignorance!

And as praveen said, if we send a mail from #-Link-Snipped-# to #-Link-Snipped-#, the mail stores in gmail server, right! So, we can not have a control on gmail server to discard the mail! And as you said in your earlier posts, is it possible to use CR(Cental Repository) to store all the mails irrespective of yahoo and gmail?
    What if the CR Fails? A bomb??? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    See I am talking about a CR or a server as an interface between two mail accounts. And yes server will fail. (As sometimes we are able to login to some sites and it does not load, right?)
    Now, we would not have any control on server. It would be under the direct supervision of gmail/ yahoo or any other company. We will only be enjoying facility provided by these companies to pull back mail.

Regarding your question->The thing you should consider is the impact of recalling mail on server. If you keep on pulling back mail a hundred times, will the server fail?
    If yes then why?
    As you said we should first try to find out the exact reason why google does not provide pulling mail facility.

You need to reach the roots of this difficulty and provide with a concept to solve that.

Perhaps Praveen can come up with an idea...๐Ÿ˜€

P.S: I may be wrong in my approach, but this is what I think. let us have a constructive debate over it as we are having now. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Yeah, they can do one thing for sure... In case, if the mail is not so urgent, it can be placed on hold. Then once the user confirms it, the sending process may be started... ๐Ÿ˜€ What say???
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    ishutopre
    See I am talking about a CR or a server as an interface between two mail accounts. And yes server will fail. (As sometimes we are able to login to some sites and it does not load, right?)
    Now, we would not have any control on server. It would be under the direct supervision of gmail/ yahoo or any other company. We will only be enjoying facility provided by these companies to pull back mail.
    If suppose, A uses gmail and B uses yahoo, Means all A's mails store in gmail server and all B's mails store in yahoo server; how you want to use CR here?

ishutopre
    Regarding your question->The thing you should consider is the impact of recalling mail on server. If you keep on pulling back mail a hundred times, will the server fail?
    If yes then why? As you said we should first try to find out the exact reason why google does not provide pulling mail facility. You need to reach the roots of this difficulty and provide with a concept to solve that.
    May fail or May not fail. If I thought like uploading the data(mail) into their database and deleting that data(mail) from their database for limited number of times, it may not happen. And if it has done repeatedly, it may happen. And yes, we need to know why google haven't featured this.
    Got a small doubt again, If #-Link-Snipped-# sent a mail to #-Link-Snipped-#, if suppose both mail accounts are from the same gmail server, is it possible for gmail to provide an option of pulling back the mail easily?

praveenscience
    Yeah, they can do one thing for sure... In case, if the mail is not so urgent, it can be placed on hold. Then once the user confirms it, the sending process may be started... ๐Ÿ˜€ What say???
    User just wants to send an email! And who wish to send any email lately? and Who thinking about time, if the user really cares about time, definetly he must wants to send an urgent email only, right! Sorry I am wrong, but this is what I thought!

PS : This is my another point. Can we have an option like "Do you really want to Send your Mail? Or You want to Check Once?" after hitting the send button? just like the message we get when we tried to send an email without subject.
    sahithi pallavi
    Got a small doubt again, If #-Link-Snipped-# sent a mail to #-Link-Snipped-#, if suppose both mail accounts are from the same gmail server, is it possible for gmail to provide an option of pulling back the mail easily?
    Yes, it is possible by GMail for implementing this feature, but in which scenario? How would it have a track, if it was sent by using sendmail?

sahithi pallavi
    PS : This is my another point. Can we have an option like "Do you really want to Send your Mail? Or You want to Check Once?" after hitting the send button? just like the message we get when we tried to send an email without subject.
    This idea is good. But we humans, ignore even this. But you know, GMail is excellent in this thing. I was writing a mail to my dad, saying that I have attached some photos and without attaching anything, I clicked on Send. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ GMail pointed me out that I have used a word attached and I haven't attached anything with the mail. This is awesome!!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    praveenscience
    Yes, it is possible by GMail for implementing this feature, but in which scenario? How would it have a track, if it was sent by using sendmail?
    Simply thinking, whether can we make that pulling option atleast between the two gmail users!

This idea is good. But we humans, ignore even this.
    Yeah but at least some people will be benefited! But, we are trying for all the people, So lets keep discussing the pulling option!

But you know, GMail is excellent in this thing. I was writing a mail to my dad, saying that I have attached some photos and without attaching anything, I clicked on Send. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ GMail pointed me out that I have used a word attached and I haven't attached anything with the mail. This is awesome!!! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Really? But I never get like this! What if, if you hit the send without writing anything? Then that option will make you to check!
    Yeah, it confirms you whether you are really going to send an empty mail... ๐Ÿ˜›

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey guys, was wondering if you could give me some advice on the following : I want to install a chp machine to power a known intraday load profile. How...
Hello, Nice to see the fellow engineers hanging out here. Looking forward to interact with quite a few amongst you!!!!!
In a dilemma about exactly how tubes are stuffed in a multi baffle plate heat exchanger. The half plate baffles are already stitch welded on inside of exchanger pipe. With...
I posted this in Chemical Engineering section but might be more appropriate here. In a dilemma about exactly how tubes are stuffed in a multi baffle plate heat exchanger. The...
The results of sectional-3D FEA on a Thrust Runner of the Thrust Bearing in a Pump shows that the Runner "bows" under the thrust load. The axial displacement of the...