How To Disable / Remove Chrome Notifications Icon In OSX Menu Bar

If you use Google Chrome on your iMac or Macbook; you will have noticed that a small bell icon appears in the OSX menu bar. While it's a harmless little thing; I want the menu bar to only have things that are must. Surprisingly, Google makes it too non-obvious to remove that notification bell icon. I had to search a lot to find a fix to remove that notifications icon from the OSX (Mavericks) menu bar.

Google-Chrome-Notification-Icon-OSX

The solution isn't obvious, but it's easy to implement. All you need to be aware of is this:-
chrome://flags
If you type that in your Chrome URL section, you will be presented with a ton of options to customize how Chrome behaves. Those settings need to be tweaked carefully and if you do not know what you are doing, it's better to leave all other options as they are and change only the ones that get our job done. Go ahead, type the above line in your Chrome URL section. A detailed settings page should open.

Once open, hit "command+F" keys to open the search box for the settings page. Type "rich notifications" in the search box to find the relevant setting. It should say -

Enable Rich NotificationsMac, Windows
Enable rich templated notifications. Both HTML5 notifications and app notifications will be shown through new Notification Center.

From the drop-down box, select 'Disabled' - and save the options from the pop-up at the bottom of your browser window. It will restart Chrome, and reload all your current tabs; but it's recommended that you save all your important work before you do that.

This should remove the bell icon from your OSX menu bar. If you face problems executing above steps, feel free to ask below. I'll be happy to answer.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Longaccess, a Greek company found by Panayotis Vryonis, is offering an online "time capsule" that stores users' 100GB data for a long period of thirty years - and not even...
Certifications are official proof of the skills you poses. They certainly add to your key strengths when you apply for a job. I want to ask all the experienced members...
Can someone offer insights on the advantages and disadvantages of using uBuntu server and CentOS for web hosting? I've been trying to find information online; however it looks like there...
To best prepare for your Microsoft 74-325 exam,you can get the online free practice test to study for your office 365 74-325 exam,you can get the link below to download....
CrazyEngineers now lets you see the trending topics and also subscribe to the topics of your choice! Let us show you how- 1. Trending Topics: See the sidebar? There's a...