CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@HellBoy89 • 19 Sep, 2009
How to design shafts on the basis of rigidity and angle of twist?
@4d1 • 25 Sep, 2009
HellBoy89
How to design shafts on the basis of rigidity and angle of twist?
The shafts may be designed on the basis of
1. Strength
2. Rigidity and stiffness.

In designing shafts on the basis of strength, the following cases may be considered :
(a) Shafts subjected to twisting moment or torque only,
(b) Shafts subjected to bending moment only,
(c) Shafts subjected to combined twisting and bending moments, and
(d) Shafts subjected to axial loads in addition to combined torsional and bending loads.
@antenna • 14 Oct, 2009 (Shear stress/Radius of shaft) = (Modulus of rigidity/Angle of twist)
You have to chose a shaft steel preferable 4010 steel or may be mild steel,chose a factor of safety,and safe design stress.By that you can estimate the radius of shaft by putting in the values of modulus of rigidity and angle of twist.
3k views

Related Posts

@satty lavanya · Jul 25, 2013

hi friends... can you guide me the procedure for home made induction motor
3.8k views

@Ankita Katdare · May 21, 2011

Please share any new ideas you have for android apps..
2k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Jan 3, 2014

I bet most of us here have dreamt of owning a BMW or an Audi or a Mercedes Benz in our lifetimes. Whether your are working in an IT company...
6.8k views

@oooivanooo · Aug 9, 2011

Hi, anyone here have a matlab project title related to mammography using matlab code? Mind to share your idea and codes? Thank you.
3.3k views

@Ankita Katdare · May 30, 2011

Here are some topics I know : 1 Is group discussion necessary for the elimination process 2 Who is responsible for the protection of the environment? 3 Retirement age of...
33.5k views