How to design shafts on the basis of rigidity and angle of twist?

Replies

• 4d1
    4d1
    HellBoy89
    The shafts may be designed on the basis of
    1. Strength
    2. Rigidity and stiffness.

In designing shafts on the basis of strength, the following cases may be considered :
    (a) Shafts subjected to twisting moment or torque only,
    (b) Shafts subjected to bending moment only,
    (c) Shafts subjected to combined twisting and bending moments, and
    (d) Shafts subjected to axial loads in addition to combined torsional and bending loads.
  • antenna
    antenna
    (Shear stress/Radius of shaft) = (Modulus of rigidity/Angle of twist)
    You have to chose a shaft steel preferable 4010 steel or may be mild steel,chose a factor of safety,and safe design stress.By that you can estimate the radius of shaft by putting in the values of modulus of rigidity and angle of twist.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This link has a photos of the recent Russian dam accident:The Sayano-Shushenskaya dam accident - The Big Picture - Boston.com
Hello There, Since i am being a student i find a lot of issues in Education and Employment all over the world and let me tell you some points which...
CEans, Our last CE meet was held in Gujarat. I believe its high time we start planning for the next CE Meet. I'm calling for volunteers and suggestions for locations...
You can't deny that social network are really affecting people's lives - in a good or a bad way. In a recent development, a software techie has sued Airtel by...
Who Am I:- Anumeha Gururani Occupation:- student (b.tech 2nd year) Can Drive Car: yes Can ride a bike : yes....mmmm.....no(actually at times height hinders) Addictions : * Smoke : No...