How to Debate? - The Basic Skills of Debating

We have a great #-Link-Snipped-# that CEans have discussed on the forum.

However, debating is a skill. Some people treat Debate as a platform for fierce arguments without adhering to whether it's a point they believe in or not.
Some people use loud voice/sharp comments to seek attention. Some rope in examples to prove their point. Some stick to established theories and quote them to say what they think is true.
Is their a way to conduct a successful debate? How to debate effectively?

Replies

• maria flor
    maria flor
    We have a formal debate in our Philosophy class and it's so very difficult. When you are in debate you must know what will be the questions to ask on the opposite sides or the question that they might ask your group. You must also be careful about the fallacies that you may commit during the debate. When you are a rebuttal you must listen well and of course a good summary will make your team won....๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Previously when I was in 9th grade, I use to think that debate is some kind of a game and you can always win it by baseless arguments. Now I do not claim that I can host a successful debate or can win in a debate competition. However I have got few points to share with you all. More points can always be added by you.

1. No personal insults: They will never help you to win a debate. Moreover, whenever you will face that guy from debate, you will not be able to face him because you will feel awkward to face him next time.

2. Be polite: Politeness helps you to make a fair impression on people taking part in debate. Always use soft words and hard points. Never do the reverse. Never argue but put your points firmly. Be humble not apologetic ( I learnt it recently from a fellow CEan)

3. Act face to face: At CE for example we are online and even if I insult some one it does not mean that I will "get off". Suppose I say something bad to a guy. Won't he/she get hurt? Its simple friends, if we have to co-exist on a same platform respect others. In short we are not invincible even if we are online and the other person cannot reach you in real life.

4.Even experts may be wrong: Now you know this point. No one is 100% perfect.

5.You can be amateur still you can be right: In this case, if you are facing an expert you will have to have courage to put forth your points. There was a time when Aristotle's theories were considered unquestionable. But a Man called Galilio Galilei (Aged 26) challenged those. Today we all know what happened. We know earth rotates around sun. We also know that Rate of decent is unaffected by weight but is affected by resistance offered to it by medium like air.

6.Be well read, well informed and clear in your thoughts: The above said was just 1% of attitude this point is 99% of perspiration. Unless you have something good to contribute, what will you do in a debate?

7.Be a good listener, develop a knack of conveying your meaning effectively:

Haha. I hope you will all agree to it.

What say people?
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    ishutopre
    1. No personal insults:
    That's right Ishu!!! Many debaters or interpolator commit this mistake.
    Here are some examples of Argumentum ad Hominem or attack to a Person:
    "How can you argue for vegetarianism when you wear leather shoes ?"
    "My point might be bad, but yours is worse."
    Do you believe in God?
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    I have always loved debate.

There's one question though that I've been always wondering.

Suppose there is this debate topic and say you stand 'FOR' it. But during the actual debate, in the middle you figure out that the ground on which you supported your 'FOR' is wrong. Or rather in simple terms you might say it that in middle of a debate you find out that you are actually on the wrong side.

What to do then?

This case is very rare and it should not occur because when you pick up a side you first have to know the pros and cons of the side as well as the topic. But still in case this happens, what does the debater do? ๐Ÿ˜
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Many people take debates seriously and start fighting, leaving the main point aside and hijack the discussion elsewhere... This is because of the unexperienced debaters... This should be avoided and they should stick to the point...
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    Another important thing during debate is no matter how you think that your side had no good arguments that can be presented you must stand for it and believe in your side.
    For example the debate is about Believing in God??? and you are a really true believer of God, but, unexpectedly the side that was given to you is the negative side. So you must stand for it no matter how you believe in God. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    maria flor
    Another important thing during debate is no matter how you think that your side had no good arguments that can be presented you must stand for it and believe in your side. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Like Goldsmith's Village School master?
    #-Link-Snipped-#

What about Polonius's advice to his son in Hamlet?
    The Truth About Lies: To thine own self be true

If we consider debate as a game of verbal skills, what you have said is valid. What is on call is how one marshals arguments and puts across a stand. However, if it is for establishing what actually is, then we are on shifting sands. It may well happen that I start out on a stand. During discussion if I find that things are not what I believed to be, I yield.

Quite often what happens is that both sides start out on either side of a middle ground. However, as the debate heats up, more and more extreme positions are taken till the debate degenerates into full scale, no holds barred verbal battle.

Personally, I avoid debates and pass on the brownie points.

Bioramani
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    But why do we debate? Does it yields something? If yes the it is worth doing.

I have left taking part in debates on CE because people do nonsense things. I concentrate on stuff which will benefit someone.

For example take this discussion, it will give me some in sight as to how to put your point in front of people. That is why this discussion is worth doing. What say?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    ishutopre
    But why do we debate? Does it yields something? If yes the it is worth doing.
    For example take this discussion, it will give me some in sight as to how to put your point in front of people. That is why this discussion is worth doing. What say?
    You said it. It is a discussion. Not a debate. We are all trying to work out what will be a meaningful debate. We are not taking sides. It is a co-opearative effort not confrontational, which is why everyone gets something out of it.

Bioramani

The avatar? Chanakya is it?!
    Read a fascinating account of RanchhodRai: #-Link-Snipped-#
    If Krishna ran away from a battlefield there would have been a reason.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    bioramani
    Personally, I avoid debates and pass on the brownie points.
    Same goes for me too. But learning how to debate is a skill too.
    I've seen a lot of people put forward points that have no relation with the ongoing topic. I've noticed people who are not entirely convinced about their point, trying to convince their points desperately.
    This is the reason why we want this thread to lead to some useful points for all.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Yup rightly guessed it is Arya Chanakya, its time that we live our dreams. Unless we dream, we cannot achieve anything. I promise you soon you will see one.

I agree with those points then. I have identified two types of "debates"

1. Which we do to pass our time.
    2. The one which we do to arrive at a conclusion. These we call discussion as rightly pointed out by Bioramani sir.

But sometimes there are discussions like say for example "Corruption". If we do it in between our friends then it is useless because we talk on it enthusiastically only to forget it after sometime.

But the same discussion if we take it to parliament then we see Lokpal Bill being drafted. That is how a debate can be made fruitful.

What say?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CEans ! Another thread But this time it is not machines But the link which is in between Various Machines. Yes It is Power System. A set of Question...
Is windows media player itself a codec or codecs are installed in it.Like VLC is a codec,Are they different from file formats?
Prof.I.Sengupta, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur explained the concept of Html Forms in Internet Technology. Please contribute your ideas and feel free to ask your questions here......
Prof.I.Sengupta, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur explained the concept of Image Maps in Internet Technology. Please contribute your ideas and feel free to ask your questions here......
Prof.I.Sengupta, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur explained the concept of CGI Scripts in Internet Technology. Please contribute your ideas and feel free to ask your questions here......