How to Create a Hardware Profile

By default, Windows creates one hardware profile named Profile 1 during installation.
To create an additional hardware profile, perform the following steps:

1. From the Start menu, select Control Panel.

2. In the Control Panel window, select Performance And Maintenance.

3. In the Performance And Maintenance window, select System.

4. In the System Properties dialog box, on the Hardware tab, click the Hardware Profiles button.

5. In the Hardware Profiles dialog box, select Profile 1 (Current), and then click the Copy button. You cannot create a new profile directly; you must copy an existing profile and then modify the copy.

6. In the Copy Profile dialog box, type a name for the new profile, and then click OK.

7. In the Hardware Profiles dialog box, select the new profile you just named, and then click the Properties button.

8. In the Properties dialog box for the profile, you can configure two options:
- Select the This Is A Portable Computer check box if the computer is a portable computer that uses a docking station (and if that docking station is one that Windows XP supports). When a supported docking station is used, Windows XP can determine whether a portable computer is docked or undocked, and then apply the correct profile automatically. If you do not use a docking station (or just prefer to set up and control your own profiles), leave this optioned selected.

- Select the Always Include This Profile As An Option When Windows Starts check box if you want the profile to appear on the boot menu as a selectable profile.

9. In the Properties dialog box for the profile, click OK to return to the Hardware Profiles dialog box.

10. Click OK to return to the System Properties dialog box, and then click OK again to return to Windows.

Replies

• Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    [​IMG]
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    cool...
    please tell more about docking station and portable computer terms used in your explanation
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    A docking station is a device into which you can plug your laptop in order to gain extra functionality,such as access to printers, mice, scanners, full-sized monitors and keyboards, and external hard drives.
    Ex.The laptop may have a super-charged graphics or video card that can play games or movies that the desktop cannot; hooking the laptop up to the docking station and accessing the desktop’s larger monitor can make the video or gaming experience all the more rewarding.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    what is the advantage over one additional profile?
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    cooldudeiet
    what is the advantage over one additional profile?
    When you restart the computer,you will have option of selecting the hardware profile you want to use.make a change you want ,such as disabling devices that won’t be used,and they will automatically be saved with the profile you logged in with.
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    This will help to create a duplicate copy for our windows such as we linux

that is the changes of one profile will independent of the changes in other profile

Am I correct?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Small Talk link: Matthew Hill – Liquid Web Storm - CrazyEngineers Discuss in this thread.
As we all know there are many new additions to the CE community everyday There are many newbies that explore the forum everyday who have got themselves registered but they...
Hi😀 I'm a 4th year student of B.E. Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering, I'm looking to take up some classes,the problem is I don't know what. could somebody give me suggestions...
Folks, what do you think about this tire design:
If your are interested in Logo Quiz, visit my quiz blog