How to convert Mechanical energy to electrical energy

How do i convert mechanical energy (which is not in regular intervals, downward thrust) to electrical energy?
Can anyone suggest me some ideas.

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    There are transducers.It depends on where do you want to apply it i.e;Magnitude of force.
    We can of course help you.Just tell us exactly "what project are you upto?"
    give us more data.
  • Niharika Kosanam
    Niharika Kosanam
    A vehicle passing through a bump(speedbreaker) should be able to produce electricity. A small device can be put beneath the bump with a flat plate above-spring action-pressure on to the below plate etc.,
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    We cannot expect a transducer to be fitted beneath a speed breaker as speed breaker is a part of tar road.But it can be connected on the road.
    Quartz crystal,load cells,strain gauge,piezoelectric,capacitance type transducers can perhaps solve the purpose.
    But fitting it on a road is not a feasible idea as number of vehicles passing per unit time varies enormously.
    We can perhaps fit it on vehicle itself and use that energy for lets say for an indicator or horn or charging battery etc
    Any way nice question asked.Hope every one will contribute their knowledge for this thread.😁
  • ashishgupta652
    ashishgupta652
    transducers
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    A transducer is a device used as a sensor. It is defined as a device that experiences a related change when subject to a physical change. It ca be used as a sensor and for converting signals from one form to another in measurement. So as defined a transducer is a wide term. So just saying use a transducer is not very helpful.

For converting compressive/tensile force to a mechanical force, piezoelecric materials are best and have been used succesfully in a few places to generate electricity. When loaded, a piezoelectric material becomes positive on one face and the other face develops and equal and opposite charge (because of change in charge distribution)
  • Niharika Kosanam
    Niharika Kosanam
    Thanks Raj & Ishutrope for the information shared..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I wish to know what our CEans think about the type of wrist watch is better choice for exams. I preferred analog watches because the the hands would give me...
CEans, CrazyEngineers has associated with GES 2011 by IIT Kharagpur. From the organizers:- Entrepreneurship Cell, IIT Kharagpur will be hosting its annual flagship event, Global Entrepreneurship Summit ’11 (GES) between...
hey guys, m doing a project on face recognition using wavelet transform. i need some help on how to go about it. right now m trying to write a proposal,...
Wikipedia is a site that provides a good stuff of information on almost all the topics.I have noticed this fact that most of the people (even on ce) searching net...
Need help with this .. Suppose I have a cylinder with plunger arrangement on one side and the other is blocked.. and when i push the plunger the air compresses.....