How to check if Windows is genuine or pirated?

How to check if Windows is genuine or pirated?

Operating systems form the backbone of our computers, enabling us to use various programs, access the internet, and perform a plethora of other tasks. Microsoft's Windows, one of the most common operating systems, offers various versions, including Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and the newer Windows 11.

However, there's an ongoing issue of piracy, where people use unauthorised, non-genuine copies of Windows.

While pirated software may seem like a cost-effective solution, it often leads to security issues, malfunctions, and lack of updates.

If you've bought a new computer, or you've recently updated your Windows version, and you want to determine if your Windows operating system is genuine or pirated, here's a comprehensive guide:

1. Check from System Properties:

This method works for Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11. Here's how you can do it:

1. Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard simultaneously. This opens the Run dialog box.

2. In the dialog box, type slui.exe and hit Enter.

3. A new window will open displaying information about your Windows activation status. Here, you can find out whether your Windows is activated, which generally indicates a genuine copy.

Additionally, you can access this information by:

• Right-clicking on "This PC" and selecting "Properties". At the bottom of the window, you'll see information regarding the activation status of Windows.

• For Windows 11, you can navigate to Settings -> Windows Update -> Activation. Here, you'll see the activation status.

If the Windows is genuine, it will usually say "Windows is activated" or show a similar message.

2. Use Microsoft's Software License Terms:

Microsoft provides license terms for its software, including Windows. These terms detail how you can use the software and offer a quick way to verify the legitimacy of your Windows copy.

1. Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.

2. In the dialog box, type Winver and press Enter.

3. A new window will appear, showing information about your Windows version. Click on the link that says "Microsoft Software License Terms".

4. A new window will open, displaying the license terms. In these terms, check if it mentions "Genuine Microsoft Software". If it does, your Windows copy is likely genuine.

3. Use the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool:

Microsoft offers a tool called the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool, which you can download from their official website.

AFAIK, the tool was primarily intended for Windows 7 and older versions. If it's still available and compatible with your version of Windows, it can provide detailed information about your software's authenticity. Would appreciate it if someone could check.

4. Check for Windows Updates:

Genuine copies of Windows usually have access to regular updates from Microsoft, enhancing the system's security and functionality.

1. Press the Windows + I keys on your keyboard to open the Settings application.

2. Navigate to Update & Security.

3. Click on the "Check for updates" button.

If your system is genuine, it should successfully search for and download updates. If it's not, you may encounter errors or an inability to access updates.

Please Note: None of these methods provide a 100% guarantee. Some sophisticated pirated versions can show as activated and receive updates.

However, these are good starting points for identifying potential issues.

If you have doubts about your Windows copy's legitimacy, contact Microsoft Support or consider purchasing a genuine license from Microsoft or a certified retailer.

Keep in mind, using genuine software not only ensures a smoother user experience but also contributes to the fight against software piracy and supports developers who work hard to bring us these essential tools.

Pros and Cons of Genuine Vs. Pirated Windows

Whether you're setting up a new device or upgrading your operating system, choosing between genuine and pirated Windows can significantly impact your experience.

Below, we delve into the advantages and disadvantages of each option.

Genuine Windows

Pros

1. Reliability and Security: Genuine Windows receives regular security patches and updates, ensuring that your system remains secure against the latest threats. This ongoing support is essential in our increasingly digital age, where cyber threats evolve rapidly.

2. Access to Customer Support: With a genuine copy of Windows, you have access to Microsoft's official customer support. If you encounter any issues or have queries, you can reach out to them for assistance.

3. Full Access to Features: Genuine Windows offers all the features that Microsoft has packed into the operating system. From DirectX 12 for gamers to enterprise-grade security for businesses, you'll have access to everything Windows has to offer.

4. Software Compatibility: As an officially recognised and supported OS, genuine Windows ensures maximum compatibility with third-party software. It's less likely to run into compatibility issues with new software or updates.

5. Peace of Mind: By purchasing a genuine copy, you abide by copyright laws, contributing to the software industry's sustainability. There's also peace of mind knowing you're not at risk for legal repercussions associated with using pirated software.

Cons

1. Cost: One of the main reasons people consider pirated software is the cost associated with genuine copies. Windows isn't free, and the cost can be substantial, especially for businesses requiring multiple licenses.

2. Forced Updates: While updates are generally beneficial, forced updates have been a point of contention for some users. Some updates may cause issues with certain system configurations or be downloaded at inconvenient times.

Pirated Windows

Pros

1. Cost-Savings: The most apparent advantage of pirated Windows is that it's usually available for free or at a significantly reduced cost.

Cons

1. Security Risks: Pirated copies often don't receive regular security updates, leaving your system vulnerable to viruses, malware, and cyber attacks. Furthermore, pirated software can sometimes come pre-loaded with malicious software.

2. Lack of Customer Support: With pirated Windows, you won't have access to official Microsoft customer support. This lack of assistance can be particularly troublesome if you encounter system issues.

3. Missing Features: Pirated versions may not have all the features offered by a genuine copy. You might miss out on the full functionality that Windows provides.

4. Potential Legal Consequences: Software piracy is illegal, and individuals or businesses found using pirated software could face substantial fines and legal consequences.

5. Performance Issues: Pirated copies may not have gone through proper quality control processes, leading to system instability, frequent crashes, or poor performance.

While the cost of genuine Windows may seem high, the extensive benefits, especially regarding security and reliability, far outweigh the initial investment.

Using pirated Windows, while immediately cost-effective, can lead to significant problems in the long run, including potential legal issues, security vulnerabilities, and limited functionality.

Ultimately, supporting genuine software contributes to a safer and more innovative technology ecosystem.

What to Do If Your Windows is Pirated

Discovering that you're using a pirated version of Windows can be a worrying experience. Using non-genuine software can expose your device to security threats, and it's also a violation of copyright laws. However, if you've unintentionally ended up with a pirated copy of Windows, there are several steps you can take to resolve the issue.

1. Backup Your Data

Before you make any changes to your operating system, the first step should always be to backup your important files and data. This ensures that you won't lose any important information during the transition to a legitimate copy of Windows.

2. Purchase a Genuine Windows License

After backing up your data, the next step is to purchase a genuine Windows license. This can be done directly from Microsoft’s official online store or from a reputable retailer. The cost of a Windows license can vary depending on the specific version you need (e.g., Home, Pro, Enterprise), so it's important to understand your needs before purchasing.

3. Activate Your Genuine License

Once you've purchased a genuine Windows license, you'll receive a product key. You can use this key to activate your copy of Windows. Here's how:

1. Press Windows + I keys to open the Settings application.

2. Navigate to Update & Security -> Activation.

3. In the Activation window, click on Change Product Key.

4. Enter the product key that you received with your purchase.

5. Click Next and follow the instructions to complete the activation process.

Windows will validate the product key and activate your copy if it is valid. After activation, your Windows version will be recognised as genuine.

4. Consider a Clean Install

In some cases, particularly if your system is showing signs of instability or if it's infected with malware, it might be best to perform a clean install of Windows.

A clean install means erasing everything on your system drive and installing a fresh copy of Windows.

Remember, a clean install will delete all your data on the system drive, so make sure your files are backed up in a safe location before proceeding.

Here's a general outline of the process:

1. Download the Windows installation media from Microsoft's official website.

2. Create a bootable USB drive or DVD using the downloaded media.

3. Restart your computer and boot from the installation media.

4. Follow the prompts to install Windows. When asked, enter your genuine product key.

5. Once the installation is complete, you'll have a fresh, genuine copy of Windows.

5. Contact Microsoft Support

If you encounter any issues during this process, or if you're unsure about any steps, don't hesitate to reach out to Microsoft's customer support.

They can provide guidance on purchasing a genuine license, activating Windows, and other related queries.

In conclusion, finding out you're using pirated software can be stressful, but it's important to rectify the situation as soon as possible.

Using genuine Windows software ensures you're protected from security threats, provides access to the latest features and updates, and supports the developers who work hard to create and maintain the operating system.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    arjun srivastav
    I wish to know how to check whether my Windows installation is genuine or pirated?
    You can check whether your Windows installation is genuine or pirated through the Windows Validation Service : #-Link-Snipped-#

I'm unable to load that URL because I'm accessing it from OSX. Check it and let us know if it works fine.
  • arjun srivastav
    arjun srivastav
    its a software and works after downloading.
    u know any code that will show window is genuine or pirated with out downloading...
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    arjun srivastav
    its a software and works after downloading.
    u know any code that will show window is genuine or pirated with out downloading...
    How will that work without validation from external source. That's the only way to check it.

It gets downloaded anyways during windows update at later time, but when exactly is not known. It can get downloaded randomly.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    But is it not true once it is found pirated all of microsoft's product will fail to work in that system
  • sajan kumar
    sajan kumar
    go to -> control panel ->system and security -> system if the window is pirated it ask for the key checkout the file alongwith
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    sajan kumar
    go to -> control panel ->system and security -> system if the window is pirated it ask for the key checkout the file alongwith
    That is the case only if the windows is not activated. You cannot check the cracked pirated windows in this manner, for that u will have to go to Microsoft's Website👀
  • rahul69
    rahul69
  • PARVEJ AKHTER
    PARVEJ AKHTER
    arjun srivastav
    I wish to know how to check whether my Windows installation is genuine or pirated?
    You can easily find out that your windows is pirated or genuine .
    By following these steps-
    Just open your cmd (comand prompt) and run it as administrator.
    Then type " slmgr.vbs -xpr "
    In the cmd .
    If the expiry date is showing then your windows is pirated otherwise it is genuine if it is showing "permanently activated".
    Thank you.
  • PARVEJ AKHTER
    PARVEJ AKHTER
    Ajaylq
    You can easily find out that your windows is pirated or genuine .
    By following these steps-
    Just open your cmd (command prompt) and run it as administrator.
    Then type " slmgr.vbs -xpr "
    In the cmd .
    If the expiry date is showing then your windows is pirated otherwise it is genuine if it is showing "permanently activated".
    Thank you.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

One of the methods that my friend uses is -

1. Click on “Start” and type “Task Scheduler
    2. Check if there is an entry for “AutoKMS”.

It will look something similar to this:

Name: AutoKMS
    Triggers: Multiple Triggers Defined

So, if this “AutoKMS” entry is mentioned in your OS Task Scheduler then your Windows OS is pirated, and if not then it is genuine.

If you are using a pirated version of Windows, it may initially work without any issues but, after a few weeks, it is likely that Microsoft’s activation checks will identify this problem and you will be asked to activate your copy of Windows by providing a valid product key.

Anyone knows any other methods?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to delete a folder but when I try deleting it, I get a message that says "The action can't be completed because the file is open in UDisk...
hi CEans, I need help in this above mentioned project. i dont know where to start and i need guidance. so who are familiar with this please help me out
Hie frnds dis is pratiek...a new member at CE... I like exploring new things so tht i cn get aquainted to some creative stuff.. I love being frnds wid d...
"The trends in computer technology indicate that bandwidth improves much more rapidly than latency." Substantiate. How can I substantiate this?? Please help me out as soon as possible.. I need...
Though this may be considered a biomedical device the project is all electronics. May be useful as a major project or minor (I am out of sync with current syllabi)...