CrazyEngineers
  • Ankita
    Ankita

MemberMar 25, 2014

How to challenge gut feeling?

The other day I unintentionally entered in a debate with a friend about a social issue. The debate lasted some 30-40 minutes, at the end of which she says - I have a gut feeling that this person is right. Facts and Figures can be manipulated, but I just know that the person can't do anything bad.

If someone says their gut feeling tells them to do something, I think nobody can challenge that. When you bring gut feeling to a debate, there's almost nothing that one can say in response to it.

Is there a practical way to do challenge gut feeling? Our own gut feeling or that of others. Do share what you think about this.
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Anoop Kumar

MemberMar 25, 2014

I think, Gut feeling is all the calculation you do in your mind and think that others can't understand but in your views, those deceptions and calculation are right.
    It may include present and subconscious mind which collected all the data from past experiences about the subject.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Ankita Katdare

AdministratorMar 25, 2014

In a debate when someone says "you won't understand what I'm feeling" - they should resign from the debate, right? A debate means you express your thoughts in such a way that they convince the other person.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorMar 25, 2014

Emotions beat logic.
    Debates require logic.
    Emotions beat debates.
    Cancel
  • Anoop Kumar

MemberMar 25, 2014

Ankita Katdare
    In a debate when someone says "you won't understand what I'm feeling" - they should resign from the debate, right? A debate means you express your thoughts in such a way that they convince the other person.
    Agreed.... If logic can't be expressed then what is use of debating.
    Cancel
  • Satya Swaroop Dash

MemberMar 26, 2014

Saying I have a gut feeling in any professional discussion (GDs) will definitely manage to attract negative marks from the moderator but in a causal discussion if someone says 'I have a gut feeling' means their opinion is prejudiced. They are ignoring the facts and trying to find answers using subconscious mind. If someone pulls out the 'I have a gut feeling' card in a casual discussion, the only way you can counteract is by saying that you prefer the alternate argument as you are having a gut feeling regarding the same. 😉
    Cancel
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberMar 26, 2014

Edward De Bono wrote a book, 'Six Thinking Hats'. If in a discussion if all taking part agree this technique can be used for a meaningful activity.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Cancel
  • Manashree Thokal

MemberMar 26, 2014

Yes. Gut feeling is a feeling. You can't argue on that. "I feel like this!" "No! I feel like this!"

There's no logic. No point.
    Cancel
  • Shailaja Tiwari

MemberMar 26, 2014

LittleNut
    Yes. Gut feeling is a feeling. You can't argue on that. "I feel like this!" "No! I feel like this!"

There's no logic. No point.
    yeah but things without logic are often meaningless and less valued and also don't have any space in debate........because you cannot impose your opinions on others in debate................you need to convince or either confuse ohters to make them understand your point of view.......................
    Cancel
  • Ankita Katdare

AdministratorMar 26, 2014

Shailaja Tiwari
    you need to convince or either confuse ohters to make them understand your point of view
    That is quite cunning. 😏
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register