How to challenge gut feeling?

The other day I unintentionally entered in a debate with a friend about a social issue. The debate lasted some 30-40 minutes, at the end of which she says - I have a gut feeling that this person is right. Facts and Figures can be manipulated, but I just know that the person can't do anything bad.

If someone says their gut feeling tells them to do something, I think nobody can challenge that. When you bring gut feeling to a debate, there's almost nothing that one can say in response to it.

Is there a practical way to do challenge gut feeling? Our own gut feeling or that of others. Do share what you think about this.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I think, Gut feeling is all the calculation you do in your mind and think that others can't understand but in your views, those deceptions and calculation are right.
    It may include present and subconscious mind which collected all the data from past experiences about the subject.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    In a debate when someone says "you won't understand what I'm feeling" - they should resign from the debate, right? A debate means you express your thoughts in such a way that they convince the other person.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Emotions beat logic.
    Debates require logic.
    Emotions beat debates.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Ankita Katdare
    In a debate when someone says "you won't understand what I'm feeling" - they should resign from the debate, right? A debate means you express your thoughts in such a way that they convince the other person.
    Agreed.... If logic can't be expressed then what is use of debating.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Saying I have a gut feeling in any professional discussion (GDs) will definitely manage to attract negative marks from the moderator but in a causal discussion if someone says 'I have a gut feeling' means their opinion is prejudiced. They are ignoring the facts and trying to find answers using subconscious mind. If someone pulls out the 'I have a gut feeling' card in a casual discussion, the only way you can counteract is by saying that you prefer the alternate argument as you are having a gut feeling regarding the same. 😉
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Edward De Bono wrote a book, 'Six Thinking Hats'. If in a discussion if all taking part agree this technique can be used for a meaningful activity.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Manashree Thokal
    Manashree Thokal
    Yes. Gut feeling is a feeling. You can't argue on that. "I feel like this!" "No! I feel like this!"

There's no logic. No point.
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    LittleNut
    Yes. Gut feeling is a feeling. You can't argue on that. "I feel like this!" "No! I feel like this!"

There's no logic. No point.
    yeah but things without logic are often meaningless and less valued and also don't have any space in debate........because you cannot impose your opinions on others in debate................you need to convince or either confuse ohters to make them understand your point of view.......................
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Shailaja Tiwari
    you need to convince or either confuse ohters to make them understand your point of view
    That is quite cunning. 😏

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Renault India recently launched an updated version of its premium sedan Fluence for Rs 13.99 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi). Renault India CEO and MD Sumit Sawhney stated that this facelifted Fluence...
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has asked people to vote for the best design for the Z-2 spacesuit platform. The Z-2 suit is the newest member of its Z-series...
The scientists at Nanyang Technological University (NTU) have developed a new solar-cell material, which in addition to converting light to electricity, also emits light. Perovskite, a material that could hold...
Last month, Canon introduced an entry level DSLR camera - Canon EOS 1200D (as known as EOS rebel T5) and the debutant is all set to arrive in Indian market...
Computer Emergency Response Team of India (CERT-In) is yet again alerting Android smartphone users about a virus which could compromise the data stored on the phone. In its advisory, CERT-In...