How to Care For Your USB from Receiving Viruses??

If you desire to protect your USB from getting unwanted files like virus, worm, spy, trojan etc than you are at the exact place.

What I’m gonna tell you is that how to setup your registry to end a computer from saving files to your USB (It’ll block all of them)

If you have windows XP with SP2, then you can immobilize the writing option to USB drives. This trick is very helpful if you have virus in your computer and desire to copy files from a USB Drive but don’t desire to transfer virus to the USB. Follow the given steps to disable the USB writing option:

TO TURN ON THE DEFENCE:

Open notepad and copy and paste the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlStorageDevicePolicies]

“WriteProtect”=dword:00000001

Now keep the file with the extension “.reg”.

Click on the file you presently saved. In the pop-up window chose YES and then OK.

That’s it your USB is now sheltered.

To TURN DEFENCE OFF:

open notepad,copy and paste the following:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlStorageDevicePolicies]

“WriteProtect”=dword:00000000

Now put aside the file with the extension “.reg”.

Click on the file you presently saved. In the pop-up window click YES and then OK.

Now defense is disabled.

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i think keeping an pendrive antispy in usb is a easy task than this programming
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    will this work for win 7 ultimate.........??
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    @narayana: can you please suggest any usb antispy.....??
  • Sonal Raj
    Sonal Raj
    are there any usb antispys available for win 7 ultimate??
  • gizmotech
    gizmotech
    To protect your system from infected pendrives, turn off the Autoplay and Autorun. Autorun automatically executes the autorun file which is usually infected with viruses. This will prevent your pen drive from auto-transmitting the viruses. After inserting the pen drive you can scan it using any anti-virus solution.
  • makru921
    makru921
    Microsoft security essentials is quite useful for protecting your system and the USB drive, from my experience. For genuine Windows users, it is free as well...
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    for manually if you have to turn off autoplay then go to Start->Run->gpedit.msc->user configuration->Administrative template->turnoff Autoplay-> then click the radio button Enabled and select from the dropdown menu for all drives.
  • Reya
    Reya
    Hey thanks for the info!It was useful!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi friends got an informative latest news for you all!There are many people out there complaining about the Firefox RAM Memory Bug. Its not a bug. It’s part of the...
hi friends, i am 3rd year electrical and electronics engineering student i am trying to do a project in this sem i had seen the list of projects here and...
Hi friends Can someone explain me why do the system files get corrupted often?? One of my system files got corrupted and i was not allowed to go inside.I formatted...
Hi friends one of my class friends, who had written the GRE test recently secured 1580/1600.I asked her for the reason of securing high score in GRE!She gave me some...
CEans, When we upgraded CE nearly an year ago; we took a hard decision of not supporting Internet Explorer browser. We've found that Internet Explorer does not adhere to web...