How to beat the traffic light!

Got in the mail:

THIS IS WHY WITNESSES ARE ONLY 50%ACCURATE!

"Officer the light was GREEN not pink!"

If your brain works normally this is neat.
This is another example of an amazing illusion!

The last sentence is so true.

If your eyes follow the movement of the rotating pink dot, the dots will remain only one color, pink.

[โ€‹IMG]

However if you stare at the black '+' in the centre, the moving dot turns to green. Now concentrate on the black '+' in the centre of the picture. After a short period all the pink dots will slowly disappear and you will see only a single green dot rotating.

It's amazing how our brain works. There is no green dot, and the pink ones don't disappear. This should be proof enough, we don't always see what we think we see.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    There are several this kind of illusion which are hard to believe..
    I found this one

checkershadow-illusion
    In above image , it seem that square A has darker shade than B but in reality shade of square A and B are identical. Even if you proof it so, it hard to believe.
    Here is how to know about it..
    Open this image in Microsoft Paint application --> Click on Pick Color tool and select color from square A and note the color pallet and then repeat it with square B . You will find both are identical. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It is interesting.
    You can try this option. Punch two holes in a piece of paper 3 cm apart. Place this paper to cover sq A and Sq B so that the holes are over areas outside the letters. They are the same grey. Our brain sees ratio of contrasts rather than absolute values.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    bioramani
    Got in the mail:

It's amazing how our brain works. There is no green dot, and the pink ones don't disappear. This should be proof enough, we don't always see what we think we see.
    Have we every thought of, how our brain reacts to these illusions?
    A study says this: #-Link-Snipped-#

-CB
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Makes you wonder how many illusions are around us and how many we never notice on a daily basis.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    CE Designer
    Makes you wonder how many illusions are around us and how many we never notice on a daily basis.
    Quite true. Some of them can be hazardous. Certain people when travelling along a long avenue with the sun shining down through the leaves overhead can get epileptic seizures at a particular speed because of the stroboscopic effect.
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    #-Link-Snipped-# Great sharing. By the way, how is it working when both of them are of different color?

#-Link-Snipped-# Great sharing ๐Ÿ˜€ Like it ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    They are not different color... that checker pattern and shadow of cylinder make them appearing different...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    *pushkar*
    #-Link-Snipped-# Great sharing. By the way, how is it working when both of them are of different color?

#-Link-Snipped-# Great sharing ๐Ÿ˜€ Like it ๐Ÿ˜€
    The shadow of the green post is falling on the white square B making it grey, while Square A is in full light. However, our brain automatically subtracts the shadow because it knows that the original colour of B is white. It continues to see it as white.
    In real life, the shadow under trees is greenish. But our eyes ignore it. Similarly when the sky is an intense blue, pictures taken in the shade but in view of the sky have a blue cast, which the eye does not see in the actual scene. When you look at the photograph the brain does not have the comparison of the sky and sees a blue cast.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi dis s s.pandiraj from tirunelveli ,I completed my u.g ,And now i am searching for job.
suggest me the topics for minor and major projects for final year.(mechanical engg.)
job vaccancies
Now a days I have lot of free time(waiting for my call letter). So I am planning to read some books. Suggest me some books. (based on entrepreneurship )
Middle class is ready to pay for mineral water and ice cream but can't bear an increase of Re 1 in price of wheat and rice: Chidambaram What type of...