How to apply for a Patent in India?

I recently presented a Paper in the IEEE Paper Presentation competition in the technical fest of our Institute and won the 1st Prize for it. It is based on a novel idea which I couldn't find on the internet, even after searching oodles of websites. I have created 3D animations and drawings of the model but I don't have a physical working model yet and thus I haven't been able to perform any tests on it.

I have a few questions regarding the same.
  • Can I apply for a patent for my design at this stage?
  • If yes, what is the procedure for applying for a patent in India?
  • Is the certificate that I have got from IEEE of any importance in this procedure?
I do plan to make a working model of my design and perform the necessary tests on it this summer.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Some of your queries might get answered here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    and here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-# is the best person to answer others. 👍
  • Viraj Voditel
    Viraj Voditel
    Thanks, I am reading through that attached PDF now. Though it would be even better if I could get some answers on my particular situation. 😎
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    virajvoditel
    • Is the certificate that I have got from IEEE of any importance in this procedure?
    I'm no expert on this matter, but I guess I can answer your questions.

• Yes, you can apply for a patent for your design.
    • This is going to need some research: #-Link-Snipped-# is the official site where you should get all the required forms. I've also heard that you can file patent application online; but if I were in a hurry, I'd do it through an agent.
    • Certificate from IEEE would certainly make your application stronger; but may not ensure that you're granted the patent. Attaching it as a supporting document/proof won't do any harm.
    That said, if you do a research on the procedure of filing a patent application; please document it here so that everyone can benefit from it.
  • Pankaj Thape
    Pankaj Thape
    Hi I am a Patent Consultant and here are the answer to your queries:

Queries:
    1. Can I apply for a patent for my design at this stage? -
    2. If yes, what is the procedure for applying for a patent in India?
    3. Is the certificate that I have got from IEEE of any importance in this procedure?
    Answers:
    1. Yes, you don not need to have a Prototype to apply for a Patent. If yo can show on paper that is also enough
    2. The Procedure is to Draft a Patent Application and Fill different Patent Forms. Better get a Professional Patent Agent to make a good draft.
    3. No
    You can get in touch with me if you have more queries on
    Regards
    Pankaj Thape
    M.Tech (ME), IIT K
    Patent Consultant
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : We appreciate your help. Please let the discussion happen here because it will help larger audience.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    virajvoditel
    I recently presented a Paper in the IEEE Paper Presentation competition in the technical fest of our Institute and won the 1st Prize for it. It is based on a novel idea which I couldn't find on the internet, even after searching oodles of websites. I have created 3D animations and drawings of the model but I don't have a physical working model yet and thus I haven't been able to perform any tests on it.

I have a few questions regarding the same.
    I do plan to make a working model of my design and perform the necessary tests on it this summer.

Since you have presented the idea in a public forum it is now in the public domain. Unless you apply for a patent before six months, you may not be eligible.
  • Pankaj Thape
    Pankaj Thape
    I would like to add that you have to file for Patent within 12 months of the time you presented in IEEE. At least file a Provisional Patent if you are not ready yet.

#-Link-Snipped-# sir its 12 months

For more information on 'Provisional Patent', please see my post

Regards
    Pankaj Thape
  • Pankaj Thape
    Pankaj Thape
    The_Big_K
    #-Link-Snipped-# : We appreciate your help. Please let the discussion happen here because it will help larger audience.
    sure Big_k
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Pankaj Thape
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir its 12 months
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I do not know how I got the value of six months. Probably US patents.
    Thanks for that info.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Pankaj Thape
    sure Big_k
    Please refrain from advertising on CE. Once you complete 25 posts on CE; signature facility will be enabled for your account automatically and you'll be able to promote your website. But promotions through signature is strictly against the rules of this website. May get your account banned.
  • Pankaj Thape
    Pankaj Thape
    It was six months earlier I guess, Now its 12 months in US also...... Its called "Grace Period" in which if you make your invention public then also you can apply for patent and your public disclosure will not be considered as prior art.

In case of EP there is no grace period.

Regards
    Pankajt
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    In case anyone's still looking for the step by step producedure to file for a patent online in India, I've uploaded the official guide in our downloads section: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CEans, Total 15 valid Nomination was there for contest and we have opened voting thread to get the best CE- Signature. Finally voting ends and as you can see...
Suppose I have a page in which there are lots of fields like name,age,suggestion etc as a textbox. Now I want to sent these field to any email address directly...
Donald "You're Fired" Trump of "The Apprentice" is planning to construct a 70 floor tall skyscraper at the Northen tip of the Marine Drive near Girgaon Chowpaty. The construction requires...
I'm looking to compile a list of the best looking bridges in India. I've visited Kolkata and believe that the Vidyasagar Setu is arguably one of the best looking bridges...
Iran is in the news for all nuclear things these days. But the latest update is quite interesting! Iran officials have vowed to replace the Internet with a national Intranet...