How to amplify a Wi-Fi signal?

hi...
is there any way to amplify a wifi signal.....

Replies

• sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Why you need to amplify it ??? as amplification wont help to travel distances.
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    if we amplify any signal....
    we will get a strong signal in the same way if u amplify a wifi signal we will get a strong wifi signal so that the surfing will be faster even if you dont have full signal....
    i think it works i dont know the properties of a wifi signal
  • lal
    lal
    Just sharing what i have read. With properly designed antennas you can capture signals from far away routers. Signal strength too increases as the amount of signal captured is also more.

There are many tutorials on the web for this.
  • senthamil_arasu
    senthamil_arasu
    hey ,
    amplifying wifi doesnt increase the speed that is notable .. it provides speed greater than needed for browsing at its least signal level .. so i think there is no need of boosting .. may be u can try an extrenal wifi modem (if u dont have now).and an USB extension cable a reach it to a place were signal is good ..
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    Please post site thanx in advance......
  • senthamil_arasu
    senthamil_arasu
    if u have an external antenna for wifi modem .. just wind it little with wire and extend it to the nearby window and wind in that. u ll get a better signal or data rate
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    but for amplification first we have to convert the digital signal to the analog signal....
    i know how to construct a digital to analog signal converter but i dont know how to give the digital signal as an input to the d-a converter.....
  • senthamil_arasu
    senthamil_arasu
    r u asking for browsing or for a project .. wat r u using laptop or pc
  • lal
    lal
    Guess its a project for browsing... ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    iam asking for a project....
    for that purpose only iam asking.....
    iam using a laptop
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    iam doing a project on this topic guys
  • limestone7000
    limestone7000
    if i tell ya Wi-Fi signal can't be amplified, i'd be lying!
    Is it a signal? Then OF COURSE it can be amplified,
    all u need is a simple 'Capacitor coupled Non-inverting (or inverting) amplifier' using a simple UA 741 Op-Amp.

notice it's a capacitor coupled, becoz u need to amplify an a.c signal, filtering the d.c noise, right?
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    no i want to amplify the signal so that internet surfing can be any faster....... so how can i give the signal as an input to the capacitor coupled non inverting amplifier
    and one more doubt dnt i hav to convert the signal into analog??????
  • limestone7000
    limestone7000
    abhinaykumar
    no i want to amplify the signal so that internet surfing can be any faster....... so how can i give the signal as an input to the capacitor coupled non inverting amplifier
    and one more doubt dnt i hav to convert the signal into analog??????
    no dude, the Wi-Fi signal is in analog itself!
    if u search on internet, u'll get the circuit diagram of non-inverting capacitor coupled amplifier.
    just give the signal input at the 'input coupling capacitor' and get output at the 'output coupling capacitor'!!!
    For the gain, u have to design the circuit(values of resistance and capacitors) surrounding the op-amp.
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    thanx for the reply limestone its realy helped me alot.....
  • limestone7000
    limestone7000
    No probs abhi, my pleasure!
    ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Your WiFi card should have a U.FL connector in which you can connect external high gain antennas with. If you know where you access point is, you can fabricate a more directional antenna and aim at that. 2.4 GHz antennas are generally easy to make because they are relatively small compared to Ham radio ones.

I'd generally recommend using this method rather than introducing an amplifying circuit.
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    hello ash
    can we jst simply amplify the wifi signal with out any circuits........?
  • lal
    lal
    I guess what ash said has nothing to do with amplification. But you can capture more signal and thus the strength increases. And since more signal, ofcourse the browsing speed will be faster.

I dont have any knowledge in communication. Please correct if i'm wrong.
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    but still now the amplifiers which we are using cannot have the ability to take more signal.... to do it only we can take the path of amplification
    as i said earlier the amplification we can boost up the speed of the traffic of the internet in the wifi
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yes, with antennas you are not amplifying the power per se. Basically, you are trying to transmit the maximum amount of available transmit power to the receiver with minimal losses. There is no use in trying to increase power when most of it will get wasted, is there? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Likewise, using a high gain antenna for inbound signals will increase its receive sensitivity or the amount of power it will receive for a given BER. As Lal said, "capturing" more signals.
  • lal
    lal
    Basically in this case what are the facts that would be deciding the speed of communication (Browsing here)
    I guess signal strength would be one. And the remaining..?

Let me remind you that i'm week in communication ๐Ÿ˜”
  • abhinaykumar
    abhinaykumar
    when the signal is too weak u usually go for amplification as we are seeing in our daily usage device...... take mobile fone if the other person talks very slowly we usually try to increase the volume up in the mobile the process is called amplification
    converting a weak signal into strong by using some other powersource
    the same property comes to the wifi also.....

in the starting of this thread u vl get all the answers u need.... those were postd by Durga

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

suggestions for a summer intern in an appropriate technical field in maharashtra. prime focus in mechanical engineering.
hey guys , plz help me out by giving ideas , wat to do to connect my library software to a online messaging service.
I see that lot of engineering final year projects are about robotics. It would be very interesting to see what our CEans have built. If you've built a robot, post...
i have found that when neutral in three phase system is broken,we got power in neutral.how is it possible
guys please tell me how to install masm32 and compile assembly language programs step by step please post with screenshots brothers