CrazyEngineers
  • Computers have coin sized RTC module which keeps the correct time even when the computer is OFF. In raspberry Pi it is not added. It checks the time from internet & updates the time.

I would like to know, how can I add externel RTC for raspberry pi, if possible. so even when my RPi is turned off & restarted, the time is set without need of internet connection.

Help ?
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • Jeffrey Arulraj

MemberAug 8, 2013

Computers use a seperate battery powering the system clock and this keeps the system time upto date even when the system is turned off

So if you can power the clock in R Pi using an external battery You will have continuous time even if you turn off your R PI
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Abhishek Rawal

MemberAug 8, 2013

I know that.
    I wanna know : HOW ?
    Cancel
  • Abhishek Rawal

MemberAug 9, 2013

-Bump-
    Cancel
  • Jeffrey Arulraj

MemberAug 9, 2013

I am not a expert but this link looks really promising

Be careful not to ruin RPI while following the steps in the link
    <a href="https://learn.adafruit.com/adding-a-real-time-clock-to-raspberry-pi/wiring-the-rtc" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">Wiring the RTC | Adding a Real Time Clock to Raspberry Pi | Adafruit Learning System</a>
    Cancel
  • Harshad Italiya

MemberAug 9, 2013

Conqueror
    I am not a expert but this link looks really promising

Be careful not to ruin RPI while following the steps in the link
    <a href="https://learn.adafruit.com/adding-a-real-time-clock-to-raspberry-pi/wiring-the-rtc" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">Wiring the RTC | Adding a Real Time Clock to Raspberry Pi | Adafruit Learning System</a>
    This is perfect solution. #-Link-Snipped-# you need to interface external RTC which has battery backup too.
    Cancel
  • Abhishek Rawal

MemberAug 9, 2013

Yeah! Working on it 😁
    Cancel
  • Harshad Italiya

MemberAug 9, 2013

Abhishek Rawal
    Yeah! Working on it 😁
    Again ! Make sure to check supply voltage for the RTC chip you are using.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register