How rocket moves in space without air?

Can any one tell me how a rocket move in space without air? How will the rocket get the reaction force for its motion?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The reaction force comes from the gases that are being thrown out. It's bit difficult to visualise unless you truly understand what Newton was trying to say with his third law of motion.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thrust is generated by the propulsion system of the rocket.
    Here the Newton's third law of motion comes into play.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite re-action.
    I think that folks over at NASA have done a good job in explaining the thrust.

rocket-space-thrust

Read: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Newton 3rd Law: Every action has exact and opposite reaction. Recoil theory

Air is not medium but the cause of friction in such cases.
    Get a balloon fill the air and leave it, that's exactly happens in rocket movement. In space (no air), balloon would move much faster.
  • Vignesh Ananth
    Vignesh Ananth
    cilin rose babu
    Can any one tell me how a rocket move in space without air? How will the rocket get the reaction force for its motion?
    The satellite may get launched with the help of two rocket boosters. By these rocket boosters the space shuttle may gets lift off , after a certain height when the space shuttle leaves the earth and enters into the space , the rocket boosters gets drop down back into the earth.

In space there is no gravity. So the satellite gets float over.
  • Jason Jose
    Jason Jose
    One more thing, In space there is very little or no atmosphere for the fuel to burn. So SpaceCrafts carry oxygen tanks to ignite the fuel which would produce the thrust. Also since the drag in space is very less, even a small thrust would result in a larg momentum change.
  • Kamlesh Vora
    Kamlesh Vora
    well there are specialized engines for this which is called Cryogenic Engines its fuel are gases which are stored in very low temperature as in liquid forms.
    Recently ISRO has developed Indian made Cryogenic Engine.
    Read here :

Cryogenic Rocket Engine

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The field of big data and its usage for the purpose of marketing is no secret. The advertisements or suggestions that we see based on our browsing history is pretty...
Can Somebody tell me doing course from Vector india is good.tell me more about recuritment?
Hello, All I'm a 2015 ECE batch passout. I am planning to join Software manual testing and automation course as I can't afford to join any ECE core courses. I...
In which stream can we explore better in present scenario of IT field..Can anyone give a clear idea about SAP, JAVA, .NET, ORACLE, BIPM, UNIX CPP, ASSURANCE, MAINFRAMES ETC..
my groupmates come up with an idea of innovating the wireless mouse with scanner and a memory for storing the scanned image. but our professor required us to program an...