How much vacuum required to hold the part of dim 100x100x20M?

As we know in trim fixture for cutting parts vacuum is used to hold the part, but i want to know how much area is sufficient or how we decide amount of area need to be apply vacuum to hold that part any calculation please suggest?
If not getting my question means
Think there is a block of mild steel its dimensions are 100x100x20M, I want to lift it up by applying only vacuum, den how u decide how much area as minimum as possible required to lift that block completely?
M S density 7850 Kg/m3
Vacuum pressure and any values required assume...
but i want to know calculation of this? Can help?

Replies

• TheBugInYou
    TheBugInYou
    are you talking of 5 bar of negative pressure..
    anyways....
    your orifice if can generate 5 bar negative pressure(i still have doubts on your input), pressure exerted on surface area is force....
    I rather telling the straight answer.. i like you to learn...
    Please go through to the way how the wind force on the building is converted in to load on buildings while doing STAAD analysis. The reverse to that procedure is your answer.. cause you know how much force is required to lift your part.
    Happy Learning 😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There is no such thing as negative pressure. Absolute vacuum is -1bar gauge or 0 bar absolute. It is theoretically impossible to get below 0 absolute pressure. a near perfect vacuum is therefore 1 kg/cm. So you need a minimum area in sq.cm = weight of the component in kg. If the weight is large, better have a factor of safety of five and make sure no one is under the weight when it is up.
  • Praveenan nt
    Praveenan nt
    Hello brother(#-Link-Snipped-#) i knw u r master. im asking simple calculation, ur telling about STAAD analysis instead of telling how to calculate area. ok neglet that pressure just tel me how to calculate how much area we need to apply vaccum to lift dat block in above mentioned size, any values u want u r free to assume... just tel if u knw caculations manually... and thanks for suggestion.......before giving suggestion one should think about themself also?
  • Praveenan nt
    Praveenan nt
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir, is there any formula to find the area need to apply vacuum to lift dat block of mentioned size..
  • Praveenan nt
    Praveenan nt
    R u der THE BUG IN YOU ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    ntprave
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir, is there any formula to find the area need to apply vacuum to lift dat block of mentioned size..
    My confusion was about the size. Can you please provide the units of each of length, breadth and height?
    100x100x20M is not clear. What are the two 100s here?
    Let us see how we can simplify this. First get the volume of the block in Litres. Say V litres.
    Weight = 7.85 x V kg.
    Assuming that you have a good vacuum pump of sufficient flow rate to cover leaks, you can generate a maximum lift of 1 kg/Sq.Cm. area.
    So, you will need a minimum area of 7.85 x V sq.cm. to lift this weight. However, it is better to have about 5 times that area to be sure that there is no failure because of leaks. You must also make sure that in case of vacuum failure the block does not fall and create a hazard for anyone or anything below.
  • Praveenan nt
    Praveenan nt
    Sir length, breadth and height units are in Meters
    mass of the block is approximately 1.572e+009kg.. OK thanks sir i found solution

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i want to do a innovative project based on ARM. any ideas pls...
hiiii my name is dheeraj i am from chandigarh now i am doing b.tech in e.c.e from chandigarh thank you
I want to design a remote control blob for my home. This is one of my hobby projects. Could someone share a circuit diagram for the same? How do we...
i'm shaileja ram i'm a student of raisoni institue pursuing BE in electrical now in final yr. i like to sing and watch movies.
Samsung Mobile and Verizon unveiled that Samsung Galaxy SIII will be available on Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Network from July 10 2012. Users will have access to a service as...