How much does 'personal branding' matter on the Internet?

I'm wondering how much does personal branding matter on the Internet these days? I'm sure you must have searched your own name in Google and eventually found that the only websites that list you are probably Facebook & LinkedIn! But those two websites don't tell the world a thing about you because you are much more than that; and frankly speaking everyone's got a FB account. So it's not cool anymore! If I'm a recruiter looking to hire you - I'll definitely search your name in Google and maybe other search engines and find out more information about you.

You definitely don't want your recruiter to see your photos partying hard last night; and get impressed. In my opinion; you'd definitely want people to see the more 'professional' side of you; because the 'fun' side can be explored on the Facebook and your twitter feeds.

But that's what I think!

I'd rather have the world see my professional / personal achievements, maybe your CV so that the first impression is the nice impression!

What do you think?

Replies

• Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    now a day anyone can do personal branding on internet (i think),Any one can take out duplicate certificate during recruitment.
    Person expression is first priority during interview.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm talking about 'online branding' - meaning what people see when they search your name.
  • Mehak Rajkhokar
    Mehak Rajkhokar
    Well, i think it should be a mixed bag.. for example , The Times Of India shows the photographs of the people present at a particular event.. say, if you attended an important function( not partying) like something related to a social cause.. then it should get noticed.. and informative sites, like Crazy engineers itself is also highlighted when you search for a person.. I think there's no harm.. After all we all are human beings.. if we work hard, then we play hard too..๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Now-a-days, it does matter. You don't want your professional friends troll you over internet & sneak out the weird images uploaded by you on social networking website. People tend to judge you in minutes after viewing your funny pics & tweets. I guess Google should stop displaying search result of Facebook & Twitter profiles.
    I had an account on facebook almost a year ago which has been deactivated since last one year,but when i search my name, there comes a result with a pic which I never uploaded on internet & with my name only. I wanna report this, but I do not know how to.
    When somebody googles my name, they find this account which is not under my control & thus my reputation is screwed. Many people have asked me if that is me but I don't know how to respond, this again hurts my rep i guess.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm wondering how much does personal branding matter on the Internet these days?
    It matters a lot. Atleast if you've started working. People analyse you by looking at your facebook account.

...and frankly speaking everyone's got a FB account.
    I know atleast 3 people of my age group who have never registered in Facebook.

So it's not cool anymore! If I'm a recruiter looking to hire you - I'll definitely search your name in Google and maybe other search engines and find out more information about you.
    Here, our HR department recruits only after going through LinkedIn and also through your Facebook account.

You definitely don't want your recruiter to see your photos partying hard last night; and get impressed. In my opinion; you'd definitely want people to see the more 'professional' side of you; because the 'fun' side can be explored on the Facebook and your twitter feeds.
    Not all companies look at your professional side. They want to know your personality as well. The company I work in is likewise. I've heard the same from two other friends too - but they DO NOT work in software.

I'd rather have the world see my professional / personal achievements, maybe your CV so that the first impression is the nice impression!
    I believe it s important to keep your facebook account clean after you've joined a company. Actually to be frank, I've lost my voice on facebook and even on my blog because I've added my colleagues and superiors on it. But now a days, most people have two facebook accounts. One for the company people and the other to enjoy their freedom with.

Back in college, during a college strike, around 30 students were caught and suspended for the sake of elaborating the strike on facebook using pictures and videos. What the management fears is that facebook is the easiest form of newspaper at present and it should be restricted.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Its definitely a wake up Call from you sir.As a fresher I don't want the recruiter to see my partying photos.
    ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It can be managed, I think. The best way to do it is to book a domain name in your name of about Rs. 500 per year and then link it to the profile you wish to appear on the top. I'm thinking we should do something about it here on CE. ๐Ÿ˜จ
  • Mehak Rajkhokar
    Mehak Rajkhokar
    That'll be great if we could do something about it here...๐Ÿ‘
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Well what's wrong with me in a pic having a gala time with friends - as long as it's not crossing the limits of decency, as long as I'm not defaming the company. A company should hire me for my skills and expertise - not for what I do in my spare time. Branding is just overrated - but that's what marketing is. Personally I care a damn.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nothing wrong with you having a gala time with friends. We're only talking about presenting a more professional side of you to the head hunters so that their efforts are minimized.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm wondering how much does personal branding matter on the Internet these days? I'm sure you must have searched your own name in Google and eventually found that the only websites that list you are probably Facebook & LinkedIn!
    I just searched your name. You are EVERYWHERE ๐Ÿ˜›

I don't have a LinkedIn account yet (though I scope it out intensively to investigate prospect employers), will probably do so after I've worked a few more years.

While I don't use FB much, I still use some filter settings so that some photos or postings are only for family/close friends only. I put all my colleagues and other acquaintances (casual & professional) on a separate list so that its easy to exclude them on posts by default. Plus, my profile is not for public viewing.

I rely more on my cover letters & contact with HR rather than letting them wonder what kind of person I am. If they want to know, set me up for an interview ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, I thought of it while looking for someone to work with CE and wasn't impressed. Not that I'd use it to make a decision; but I see that there's a clear need of displaying the right information about you - to the people who're looking for it. Most of the people who'll search for your information will be the prospective employers. I think a professional profile would carry more weightage than your social profile. That's just my thought though.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, I thought of it while looking for someone to work with CE and wasn't impressed. Not that I'd use it to make a decision; but I see that there's a clear need of displaying the right information about you - to the people who're looking for it. Most of the people who'll search for your information will be the prospective employers. I think a professional profile would carry more weightage than your social profile. That's just my thought though.
    How many CVs are you getting from people interested to join CE?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    How many CVs are you getting from people interested to join CE?
    Not many because we're only looking for the writers. We only talk to those who impress with their first communication ๐Ÿ˜€
  • mail154
    mail154
    We May Say Companies Should Hire me only based on my coding level. But Its Not Possible Practically. Its Human Nature to see people beyond our need of relationship.
    We May Opt for hiding our profile from search engines. No one wants their HR to see their party photo. Some People Use 2 Accounts some add the company people to the account and lose influence among people since their friends can't comment or post pics as they do normally. No One Wants to Comment Decently professionaly with proper punctuations. I Would Definitely Want the professional things to be visible with the employers. We Have Some Options to restrict with the people in the social networks..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The question is simple - we have seen single stroke (?), 2-stroke, 4-stroke, 6-stroke engines and my curious mind is enquiring what is the maximum number of stroke any engine...
I just read the news that Reliance Infocom has slashed 3G data tariff by about 50%, and their latest offering is 1GB data download for only Rs. 123. Makes me...
You can nominate your college to be a regional center for The AerotriX All India Ornithopter Challenge - in association with Ornithopter Zone (USA), NSSC (IIT Kharagpur) and TechNITi'13 (NIT...
The more I read about the Curiosity rover that's currently supposedly roaming on Mars - the more skeptical I get about the whole rover on the distant planet thing. I...
Most of my friends dreamed of starting their own venture after gaining a few years of experience in the industry and accumulating some money? I want to know from CEans...