How much computer use is involved in a mechanical engineer's job?

Hi this is martin from pune, india. I want to study mechanical engineering, but the problem is my eyesight is very poor. I also have glaucoma in one eye. When i get a job after completing engineering, how much computer use will i have to face? thanks in advance...

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Totally depends on the kind of job you take up. If you enter into CAD/CAM - you might end up working full day on computers. You can always avoid using computer for longer duration and take breaks every 5-10 minutes.
  • lal
    lal
    Mechanical designing includes nothing less than computers. Solidworks, CAD, other simulation and designing softwares. But then, that is just designing. You have a lot more fields with in Mechanical engineering to choose from.
  • Anunay Sinha
    Anunay Sinha
    Hi,
    To begin with, i'm a mechanical engineering graduate of batch 2013 my self, and i have had similar issue with my eye.

Now, coming to your question, mechanical engineering is huge with lots of opportunities for job as well as for higher studies (MS / M.Tech). Since you are more concerned about the job propect, you'll have the option of joining a design company like Ansys, GE, Infosys etc.. or an automobile industry like tata motors, yamaha, maruti etc or join a PSU eg. BPCL, IOCL, BHEL and many more. If you are to work in a design or simulation based company you'll have to work on computers a lot. Problem doesn't end here, allmost all of the automobile sector compamnies / oil sector companies / psu have stringent pre-employment medical exams, failing which they withdraw their offer. I suggest you look in these aspects as well

all the best
  • martinjacobs216
    martinjacobs216
    Hey thanks for your reply guys! really appreciate it thanks!! was a lot of help...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

With Microsoft ending support for the long cherished XP OS, the company has now offered $100 (approx. Rs. 6100) discount and a load of freebies for a user migrating from...
why these tmp file create and what is effect on our computer system?
Post Removed
I had to field pure science questions on the only two interviews I faced for my first two jobs. The rest were offered. It is amazing what questions do get...
I am interested in learning a programming Language and was just wondering which language would be the most flexible and useful, both for Research and for my field. Any idea...