How is the priority of sites set in various search engines?

Google,Yahoo,MSN..the most surfed sites when it comes to search something whether search for the details of new gadget in the market or for a CE-puzzle in which its specially mentioned no help from Yahoo,Google,MSN😉

Now, my question is how is the priority of various sites set in these search engines?Like if we search for the wallpaper sites in Google,there are millions of sites to go for,but obviously one searching would not go upto 10th page.He would go for atmost 5th page.So,the sites on the first page are mostly clicked on or in other words,the sites on the first page gains the benefit.What is the criteria of setting the priority? Does it have something to do with number of users?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    the appetizer

Here comes the appetizer - 😁 Will add details later.

Various search engines have their own way of determining the rank of the page displayed for the searched keywords.

How Google goes it - Google came up with an innovative technology called as "PageRank". Google determines the number of links pointing to a website. More the number of links pointing to a particular website, higher is its rank in the search results.

Now, this is just an overview. There are tons of other factors which Google's algorithm takes into consideration while displaying the search results.

I'll try to explain it in details later. Let's wait for more explanations.

-The Big K-
  • Neha
    Neha
    Waiting for more Biggie.
  • pradypop
    pradypop
    The google ranks the web sites based on many factors. few are:

1. The number of other web-sites that have links to your web-site. But thats only half the picture. What also matters is the rank of the site which links to your site. If lots of lowly ranked sites link to you than your site's rank would be low. So, Idea would be to have links in highly ranked web-pages. This is the most important criterion.

2. Number of hits and visits.

3. Ranks are for specific key-words. So uniqueness of key-words that are mentioned in meta tags plays a role. For word "engineers" CE might be lowly ranked but for "crazy-engineers" its highly ranked. Of course there are fewer people who search for "crazy-engineers" than "engineers". So it might not be useful to have higher rank for that word.

4. Content plays a role. Too many or too less repitetion of keywords in the content would bring down the ranking.

5. Content replication brings down the ranks.

6. More the mirror sites higher the ranking.

7. A good site map can help ranking.

These are some factors. The algorithm is quite complex and ofcourse not open.
  • sravik
    sravik
    Search Engine Optimization

SEO is used to set the prority.

Search engine optimization (SEO) is a set of methods aimed at improving the ranking of a website in search engine listings, and could be considered a subset of search engine marketing. The term SEO also refers to "search engine optimizers," an industry of consultants who carry out optimization projects on behalf of clients' sites. Some commentators, and even some SEOs, break down methods used by practitioners into categories such as "white hat SEO" (methods generally approved by search engines, such as building content and improving site quality), or "black hat SEO" (tricks such as cloaking and spamdexing). White hatters say that black hat methods are an attempt to manipulate search rankings unfairly. Black hatters counter that all SEO is an attempt to manipulate rankings, and that the particular methods one uses to rank well are irrelevant.
    Search engines display different kinds of listings in the search engine results pages (SERPs), including: pay per click advertisements, paid inclusion listings, and organic search results. SEO is primarily concerned with advancing the goals of a website by improving the number and position of its organic search results for a wide variety of relevant keywords. SEO strategies may increase both the number and quality of visitors. Search engine optimization is sometimes offered as a stand-alone service, or as a part of a larger marketing effort, and can often be very effective when incorporated into the initial development and design of a site.
    For competitive, high-volume search terms, the cost of pay per click advertising can be substantial. Ranking well in the organic search results can provide the same targeted traffic at a potentially significant savings. Site owners may choose to optimize their sites for organic search, if the cost of optimization is less than the cost of advertising.
    Not all sites have identical goals for search optimization. Some sites seek any and all traffic, and may be optimized to rank highly for common search phrases. A broad search optimization strategy can work for a site that has broad interest, such as a periodical, a directory, or site that displays advertising with a CPM revenue model. In contrast, many businesses try to optimize their sites for large numbers of highly specific keywords that indicate readiness to buy. Overly broad search optimization can hinder marketing strategy by generating a large volume of low-quality inquiries that cost money to handle, yet result in little business. Focusing on desirable traffic generates better quality sales leads, resulting in more sales. Search engine optimization can be very effective when used as part of a smart niche marketing strategy.
  • Rocker
    Rocker
    The rank of page will obviously be decided by various factors. Try searching google or msn for keyword engineers. Observe the first page of results. Crazy Engineers does not appear in it.

Now search for keywords "crazy engineers". CrazyEngineers.com is the first site which appears on the results page.

This proves that they combination of keywords determines the search result. The keywords which form the site name will be placed at the top.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I think .
    First of all..the meta tag used in html coding is used for searching in websites...
    the keywords that appropriately match...will get more priority
    otherwise above mentioned reasons are correct
    pradypop
    6. More the mirror sites higher the ranking.

These are some factors. The algorithm is quite complex and ofcourse not open.
    What are mirror sites?😕😕
    Please correct me if i am wrong

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I watched a show on Beggar Mafiah on some Media Channel..I have heard a lot of times about it but still when I see any beggar, I can't resist myself...
Hello CEans! We have a new poll on the main page. Check out the CE Polls on HOME PAGE. Today, our 800+ community has engineers from various trades. Please vote...
i want to do a project on genetic algorithms for economic dispatch and optimisation.if anybody knows clearly about this,please give me guidance.
I'm not. .... ?
"The Google Story" - by David A. Vise ! The book tells us everything about Google. How Google founders met, how Google got started ...everything! A must read for the...