How is bottled water treated?

There's a business idea brewing in my head since long time 😁and I want to learn more about how the water is treated before its bottled. Some of the brands claim their product contains 300% more oxygen :shock: , what's that?

Insights, anyone?

Replies

• muthu12
    muthu12
    A real estate developer explained the idiocy of ordering bottled water in restaurants. He said bylaws require special water filtration systems be installed so that their "tap water" is safer than any.

Of course, there's always those who want fancy sparkling or soda water, but that's another issue.
    About the only justification for bottled water is in developing countries where water supplies are decidedly unsafe or untrustworthy.πŸ˜’
    -------------------
    Muthu

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    300%? Well I'm not sure about that. One of the methods of purification of water (rather one of the process in the entire method) is decarbonization. In this process, the excess carbon is removed by treating carbon with compounds which decomposes CO2 into a bicarbonate and release hydronium ions.

CO2 (g) + 2H2O(l) Γ’†’ HCO3- + H3O

The excess bicarbonate is used by a mineral (say calcium or sodium) and excess hydrogen is used by chlorine to ensure absolutely pure water.

Check this link for the flow chart #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, have you seen those Oxyrich ads?

Thanks for the information, Mayur.
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    You mean Oxyrich? Yeah I have seen them. They probably might be aerating the water before bottling it. It dissolves spare oxygen from air into the water. In fact wherever water is flowing and exposed to fresh air, it tends to contain more oxygen. But I'm not sure how Manikchand (the owners of Oxyrich) measured the 300% πŸ˜•
  • gohm
    gohm
    Here in the US there is not nearly the strict regulation of bottled water as compared to tap water. Here tap water is almost unanimously more healthy than bottled. Due to chlorine, bottled water usually tastes better however a carbon based filter system can remedy that. Tap water has a smaller carbon footpint due to the lack of plastic bottles and vehicle transportation.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I think they may use Reverse Osmosis, and then add some minerals to give it a mineral water taste. I have a triple water filter installed at my home (1st step R.O., 2nd step UV rays, 3rd step minerals are added). The water coming out tastes just like bottled water, so I suppose they must be using this technique.
  • gohm
    gohm
    yeah there is the whole range of treatment. Some reverse osmosis or filter. Some even just bottle tap water.
  • ashrafrady
    ashrafrady
    Realy I have been worked in a factory o bottled water 5 years ago, and i am the cheif of water treatment unit.
    Actually the treating of water depends on the nature of raw water for example if the water contain a larg amount of iron & manganese, it should be treated firstly with Ozone to oxdize iron & mnganese to their oxides which precipetated easly, then the water is pass through a filter sand and disinfict finally with ozone.
    For more knoldge you can contactme at
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Many thanks for your valuable information Ashraf. It would be great if you can share your knowledge on the forum. If you privately answer queries, it probably will not help the fellow engineers.
  • kaveendra
    kaveendra
    hi,

water is
    forced under pressure to
    pass through a membrane,
    leaving contaminants behind.
    This process removes all
    microbes, minerals, color, turbidity,
    organic and inorganic
    chemicals.
    -------------------------------------------#-Link-Snipped-##-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

• Jone25
    Jone25
    It depends, mostly on the source of the water. Roughly speaking there would be procedures like filtering, distilling, extracting and bottling etc.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well your comments are very true,but water is also paased thriugh UV lights,it ensures all the bacterias are destroyed tats why bottled water is not tat much nutritious
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    If I had to drink a bottle of water, I'd always try to get a natural mineral one. Though, we do drink filtered + boiled water at home.
  • gohm
    gohm
    These meathods are all accurate, however there is little regulation that ensures any of these steps actually happen. That's why studies in the US have proven usually filtered tap water is much healthier (and cheaper with a smaller carbon footprint) than bottled water.
  • julie1
    julie1
    I have no idea but my brother is a chemical engineer working for a water management company and i will ask him and let u guys know about that.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anyone help me out that which project i will choose related to software field plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz its urgent plsss.............πŸ˜”
Well I've literally spent over 20 hours searching and then came across this site, so hopefully this would help. I'm trying to put together an electrical system for a house...
Hi everyone πŸ˜€ am new member in this forum... my name is Wafa'a am from Kuwait and am studying mechanical engg. semester 4 at Austrlian Collage of Kuwait Am so...
1.could any one brief me with inter block interference?? Consider the case of OFDM, where a block of bits are sent on a subcarrier..when we talk about multi path fading.....
CEans, Spammers are a big headaches for websites, especially web based forums. We implement techniques like CAPTCHA & reCAPTCHA to prevent spammers from setting up scripts to do fake registrations...