How internet browsers work? How to develop a browser?

hey guys..i just wanted to know how these internet browsers work..and can we develop our own browser...also i would like to know what all languages it uses?????

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Hi Music!
    The base / core of a browser is the Layout Engine... On top of it is the GUI with some more additions to the layout engine. So, for building a browser, you would be essentially needing a code of layout engine, and I guess, you can take it from either Gecko (Firefox) or WebKit (Chrome / Safari), whichever you like / support.
    If you see how the browsers work, there are a lot of components. The browser's main components are:
    [​IMG]
    1. The user interface - this includes the address bar, back/forward button, bookmarking menu etc. Every part of the browser display except the main window where you see the requested page.
    2. The browser engine - the interface for querying and manipulating the rendering engine.
    3. The rendering engine - responsible for displaying the requested content. For example if the requested content is HTML, it is responsible for parsing the HTML and CSS and displaying the parsed content on the screen.
    4. Networking - used for network calls, like HTTP requests. It has platform independent interface and underneath implementations for each platform.
    5. UI backend - used for drawing basic widgets like combo boxes and windows. It exposes a generic interface that is not platform specific. Underneath it uses the operating system user interface methods.
    6. JavaScript interpreter. Used to parse and execute the JavaScript code.
    7. Data storage. This is a persistence layer. The browser needs to save all sorts of data on the hard disk, for examples, cookies. The new HTML specification (HTML5) defines 'web database' which is a complete (although light) database in the browser.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    You will also find these links useful from Howstuffworks -

Mozilla Firefox - How Firefox Works | HowStuffWorks
    Google Chrome - How the Google Chrome Browser Works | HowStuffWorks
    Hey, and you need to understand the browser engine's flow:
    [​IMG]

And there are differences between Chrome and Firefox, how they handle the pages!
    Chrome Webkit's Working
    [​IMG]
    Webkit main flow

Mozilla Gecko's Working
    [​IMG]

Mozilla's Gecko rendering engine main flow
    Building the DOM tree is the main factor you need to consider. To build a DOM tree, you are supposed to go in this way:
    The DOM has an almost one to one relation to the markup. Example, for this markup:

Hello World

[img]example.png[/img]
    Would be translated to the following DOM tree:
    [​IMG]
    For more info, you can check out these set of resources:
    1. Browser architecture
      1. Grosskurth, Alan. A Reference Architecture for Web Browsers. PDF.
    2. Parsing
      1. Aho, Sethi, Ullman, Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools (aka the "Dragon book"), Addison-Wesley, 1986
      2. Rick Jelliffe. The Bold and the Beautiful: two new drafts for HTML 5. #-Link-Snipped-#.
    3. Firefox
      1. L. David Baron, Faster HTML and CSS: Layout Engine Internals for Web Developers. Web page layout in Mozilla [Slide 6 of 11].
      2. L. David Baron, Faster HTML and CSS: Layout Engine Internals for Web Developers(Google tech talk video). .
      3. L. David Baron, Mozilla's Layout Engine. #-Link-Snipped-#.
      4. L. David Baron, Mozilla Style System Documentation. #-Link-Snipped-#.
      5. Chris Waterson, Notes on HTML Reflow. #-Link-Snipped-#.
      6. Chris Waterson, Gecko Overview. #-Link-Snipped-#.
      7. Alexander Larsson, The life of an HTML HTTP request. #-Link-Snipped-#.
    4. Webkit
      1. David Hyatt, Implementing CSS(part 1). #-Link-Snipped-#.
      2. David Hyatt, An Overview of WebCore. #-Link-Snipped-#.
      3. David Hyatt, WebCore Rendering. WebCore Rendering I – The Basics | WebKit.
      4. David Hyatt, The FOUC Problem. The FOUC Problem | WebKit.
    5. W3C Specifications
      1. HTML 4.01 Specification. HTML 4.01 Specification.
      2. HTML5 Specification. #-Link-Snipped-#.
      3. Cascading Style Sheets Level 2 Revision 1 (CSS 2.1) Specification. Cascading Style Sheets Level 2 Revision 1 (CSS 2.1) Specification.
    6. Browsers build instructions
      1. Firefox. #-Link-Snipped-#
      2. Webkit. #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ANIND DUTTAROY
    ANIND DUTTAROY
    Hi Praveen,

Your description on browsers is really nice. Thanks for all the information.

By the way, please can you suggest, how to develop a virtual browser?

I am talking of browser virtualization.

Hoping for a positive response soon.

Thanks and Kind Regards,
    Anind
    ANIND DUTTAROY
    Hi Praveen,

Your description on browsers is really nice. Thanks for all the information.

By the way, please can you suggest, how to develop a virtual browser?

Hoping for a positive response soon.

Thanks and Kind Regards,
    Anind
    Well, get the SDK from the Engine people, if you are thinking of implementing an existing browser. If you wanna develop your own browser, you need to go through the W3C Specification for HTML, SGML, XML, etc. and have to develop one.
  • avii
    avii
    Check this also - Google Chrome 😀
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    ANIND DUTTAROY
    virtual browser 😐 ???.....Can you tell me how it works....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A Few Basic Issues involved in the Real-Time Communications in the Real-Time systems was neatly explained by Dr. Rajib Mall, Department of Computer Science & Engineering, IIT Kharagpur. Feel free...
Review of Computer Networking in the Real-Time systems was neatly explained by Dr. Rajib Mall, Department of Computer Science & Engineering, IIT Kharagpur. Feel free to share your ideas and...
Real-Time Communication in a LAN Concept in the Real-Time systems was neatly explained by Dr. Rajib Mall, Department of Computer Science & Engineering, IIT Kharagpur. Feel free to share your...
Friends, Can anybody please tell me regarding thermal wheel? How efficient is it? Can it be used even for small scale heat recovery systems?
The concept of Real-Time Databases in the Real-Time systems was neatly explained by Dr. Rajib Mall, Department of Computer Science & Engineering, IIT Kharagpur. Feel free to share your ideas...