How important is it to learn a third language?

Some of my friends keep saying that there is a lot of need to learn the foreign language other than English and Hindi.
As for mechanical engineers, they can learn German since Germany is famous for its machine part and may be we can get opportunity to be there in future..
So is it such important to learn a third language to get handsome package and opportunities in future?
What do you say friends?

Replies

• Engg.Dee
    Engg.Dee
    it would be benefited and also will add more values to ur cv but these days indian companies also offering gud pachages if u r there with them more than 2 - 3 yrs..
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Anything you learn will benefit you in someway or the other. Any knowledge you gain never exactly goes waste so just jack every opportunity you get.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd recommend learning any new language out of interest and not for the sake of finding its importance in the job market. As #-Link-Snipped-# said, anything you learn benefits you in some way. If it's not out of interest; then I'd recommend learning the language that your work demands. For example; if your work involves traveling to Spain; it would be good idea to learn Spanish.
  • pikachu1994
    pikachu1994
    yeah learning should not be based completely on job and money.it must be out of interest
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    The_Big_K
    For example; if your work involves traveling to Spain; it would be good idea to learn Spanish.
    How to decide it during our studying period that which language will benefit us in future?
    Are there any common languages that are preferred mostly to be learned?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    sweet_honey
    How to decide it during our studying period that which language will benefit us in future?
    German, French & Spanish are most famous amongst the students.
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    [Prototype]
    German, French & Spanish are most famous amongst the students.
    okk..๐Ÿ˜€
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    But, why is it this way?? I mean, to get a good job, We leave our Indian accent of speaking english, we improvise our communication skills and some people even go to spoken english classes! When we are so keen in learning the "Universal" language english, then why can't they??

Since our childhood we are told that English is very important, don't neglect it etc etc,
    Are these preachings not for those people??? ๐Ÿ˜จ
  • archlpe
    archlpe
    sweet_honey
    how would you know what country you are going to get a job in .... unless you plan, if it is for getting a job either plan your country or just focus on the local language where you get a job. if you have interest in learning language you may learn it afterwards too... but if you get a chance to learn something now..don't miss the opportunity as prototype said
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Vishal0203
    But, why is it this way?? I mean, to get a good job, We leave our Indian accent of speaking english, we improvise our communication skills and some people even go to spoken english classes! When we are so keen in learning the "Universal" language english, then why can't they??

Since our childhood we are told that English is very important, don't neglect it etc etc,
    Are these preachings not for those people??? ๐Ÿ˜จ
    India doesn't have a common universal language which is known by everyone. Hindi is supposed to be the national language, but its still not known to everyone. That's the reason, why learning English is so important to Indians. If you notice, every form you fill up will be available in 2 languages, one specific to the region and other will always be in English. So English is practically our national language.

Unlike in Germany, they have a common language throughout the country & a common man is not required to be known to any other language to work around in day to day life. Only handful of people that comes in contact with foreigners are required to know English. Same goes with the countries like China, Japan, etc.
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    hmm.. that's an awesome explanation. So, the reason is "India is a multilingual country"
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    It is important, I am saying it from my personnel experience. For getting a job, English is enough.

Being in Chennai, I suffer a lot, without knowing Hindi. In my office, right from security till my boss all of them speak in Hindi only. Never thought, Hindi is going to be so important.
  • archlpe
    archlpe
    aarthivg
    It is important, I am saying it from my personnel experience. For getting a job, English is enough.

Being in Chennai, I suffer a lot, without knowing Hindi. In my office, right from security till my boss all of them speak in Hindi only. Never thought, Hindi is going to be so important.
    oh! you are right this way otherwise it is generally assumed that hindi and english are india's two languages now. It is not a matter of what the third language should be but it is enough if you know the local language
    when i was at a village in punjab for a job i found it the most difficult as there were only few who were well conversant with Hindi, i learnt punjabi for them, now i can read, write and speak punjabi, but Hindi is not a third language, it is our national language
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    archlpe
    oh! you are right this way otherwise it is generally assumed that hindi and english are india's two languages now. It is not a matter of what the third language should be but it is enough if you know the local language
    when i was at a village in punjab for a job i found it the most difficult as there were only few who were well conversant with Hindi, i learnt punjabi for them, now i can read, write and speak punjabi, but Hindi is not a third language, it is our national language
    I accept, Hindi is our national language, But being in southern part of India, I never thought Hindi plays an important role. Hindi was my third language in my academics ๐Ÿ˜€
  • archlpe
    archlpe
    aarthivg
    I accept, Hindi is our national language, But being in southern part of India, I never thought Hindi plays an important role. Hindi was my third language in my academics ๐Ÿ˜€
    After i replied you, i browsed the internet for this topic and found out that there is no national language in india however our teachers always taught us that hindi was the national language
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • graphite
    graphite
    aarthivg
    It's nice to know that Hindi plays a important role in southern part of India but I feel that knowing Hindi, English and local language is enough to get job in our country. Learning any other language depends on our interest.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys, how shall i start dijango framework in python. And also how shall i connect with git interface. Thanks! Ramprasad.P
IS IT NECESSASORY TO USE A NEUTRAL LINK IN A CIRCUIT? WHY ITS VERY ESSENTIAL?
i have prepared my project report and i have to submit it by 31st for funding. but still i have some queries and want clarifications can you guide me?
My quest for the best router in the market never ceases to end. I'm looking for the recommendations on what we'd typically call "the best long range wireless router". I'd...
Patent Infringement against Samsung seems to be firm shot at Android. Using iOS & Android in smartphone, you will find almost everything similar. Same feelings you get while using Apple...